Should Hillary dump Bill? Re: the Ed Klien story.

C’mon, guys, Clinton-bashing is so Nineties. Get with the times.

The political landscape has changed. Even the RW media is so scared of having the public be reminded of their “war good, blowjob bad” morality, they’re running *away * from this turdheap as fast as they can. [Even Hannity is taking time only to blast it](http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ articles/2005/6/17/145840.shtml).

Bill was cheating on Biden? :confused:

Seriously, why on earth would a divorce make her more appealing a candidate? Near as I can tell, it would sound the death knell for any (as yet nonexistant) presidential ambitions she might have.

Didn’t hurt Reagan none.

Once again, this is about politics, and you were asking me why I wasn’t talking about personal stuff.

Hillary’s campaign, in part, will be about differentiating herself from him. If she can’t do that, she probably won’t win. Of course, she’ll also try to benefit from his legacy.

For you to say that after starting this thread is mind-bogglingly absurd.

I think your links are fubar. I couldn’t access them.
Could you summarize?
Thanks

Exactly why, dare I ask? (I’m trying to play nice.)
I realise the Irony, but don’t you think it’ll be a real issue when/if the time comes.

BTW, here’s an interesting link that gives some idea as to how the Clintons make it work.

From the Google cache:
Observer link.
Hannity link.

…because you started a thread that points straight down that road.

I think this book is one of the first shots in what will be a years-long Swift Boat-type salvo against Hillary on personal grounds, yes. I do think it’ll be an issue. I don’t think a divorce would solve that, as it’d just get people prying further into their personal lives. Besides, any action she takes to respond to such criticisms will be incorporated into the criticism.

I definitely think Bill should divorce Biden. Now we’re getting somewhere.

[QUOTE=Uncommon Sense]
I thought Hillary would be better off without Bill for sometime now. I happen to think that Hillary can command her own aura without leaning on the past through her husband. If the country is to take her seriously, they need to disconnect her from Bill, otherwise it will seem like a Bill 2 presidency. She won’t get elected.

This is really funny to me. Even during the Lewinsky thing, Clinton’s approval rating was high.

His approval rating was at 65%, even though 56% believed he lied under oath and 43% believe he tried to obstruct justice by encouraging someone to lie. This fallacy is media perpetuated nonsense. Most people were able to separate their feelings for him as a president from their feelings of him as a man.

Later, when Monica’s book was coming out and the impeachment proceedings were underway, Bill’s approval rating was at 66%. His approval rating had been in the 60’s throughout that year. The poll also showed that 81% of respondents say they are sick of the impeachment issue. Even at the time, most people didn’t really care too much about this issue. Even as he exited office, his approval ratings were at 57%, higher than Reagan and Eisenhower (to name a few). It is utter nonsense to think that he people wouldn’t vote for him to today because of the Lewinsky thing. He is one of the best politicians out there, and would only help Hillary if she chooses to run.

You were wrong. Why not mention that he supposedly murdered Vince Foster? The reason is because nobody with any respect for the truth would repeat such highly implausible claims, without a shred of proof, during a serious discussion about politics.

No, it doesn’t. Divorcing Bill now would be the only thing she could do to give this bullshit gossip credibility.

I was wrong about HRC; I thought she would divorce Bill within three years of his leaving office. She didn’t, and she won’t now. She needs him, for a variety of reasons, for her run for the White House.

I suspect they have come to an agreement, probably unspoken but nevertheless real. As long as Bill doesn’t embarass her by getting undeniably caught, HRC will look the other way. And, as the level of scrutiny for an ex-President is radically less than for a President, this is going to be much easier to manage. It would take a pretty messy scandal to force a divorce at this point. And I suspect Bill is too smart politically to get caught again.

I bow to no one in my loathing for the despicable former Prevaricator-in-Chief, but this story has no legs. And it is giving Hilary a chance to look Presidential and above it all.

If HRC makes it to the White House, and Bill starts having more zipper problems in public, I suspect all bets are off. But Hilary would never dump him unless it was a situation where she would garner sympathy as a wronged woman. And divorcing him now would make her look weak and gullible, as well as opportunistic.

Regards,
Shodan

Well, he did catch some flack for it in his early political days. But by the time he was in a real position to run for POTUS in the 1970s he had been married to Nancy for 20+ years, almost 30 when he was elected. He had managed to restore his family man cred very well by then and there was no way his divorce could be seen as having to do with his political career.

You think he’d have been elected if he’d remaind single? Or if he’d divorced a second time? I ain’t seeing it.

Has it crossed anyone’s mind that Hillary has stayed with Bill all these years because she actually loves him? Or is that too crazy a thought to wrap one’s mind around?

No. We all know that Bill and Hillary aren’t human beings, but merely insatiable political machines, incapable of feelings or remorse. Haven’t you been to a bookstore, man?

Quick summary from Salon:

Links present in the original.

People on the right with decent political insticts recognize that the main effect of the book is to drag every criticism of Hillary, legitimate or not, down to the level of “the bitch is one of them lez-bee-uns who was having an affair with Web Hubbel and anyway has lust for power instead of any normal human feelings”.

Honestly, no.

She’s stuck with him regardless. Bill Clinton has been rumored to be a hounddog since his Governor days. It’s old news. I don’t think the book will affect anything unless she makes a lot of noise about it. I expect it to die on the vine. I heard an interview of the author and (IMO) he was quite effective in discouraging anyone from reading the book. I found it hard to believe he worked for a major newspaper.

Here’s a transcript to the interview he did with Al Franken and Joe Conason on Air America radio last Friday. I have to give him credit for staying for the whole thing, I guess. He certainly embarrassed himself. Although, if he can write that book and appear in public afterwards, maybe nothing embarrasses him.

Eventually he will. He’s just Biden his time.

Daniel