Shup up wiith the "shut up" already

I agree with you; that’s the way it always looks to me, too, when it crops up. People know they’ll get positive responses for the attacks. That’s very reinforcing.

And how about the front door? May we shut that?
mmm

Well to be honest and clear I am not really defending you per se as much as I am objecting to the farts these assholes let loose with such regularity, emboldened with circle jerk bravery. Emboldened like any group of grade school bullies by the approval of others in the crowd and the silence of others like Manda JO who are afraid of becoming a target themselves if they speak up.

(Oh my, someone I don’t know or give a shit about on a MB may call me DTard, or label me a “white knight”! My life is ruined! How will I continue???)

Your posts have never stood out to me as especially egregious or annoying (and some posters’ posts do) but that is not the issue. While many of your posts that have had the abuse response have seemed very benign to me, the quality of your posts (or for that matter lack of) is not the issue. You could consistently be as annoying and irritating as these jerks say you are and I’d still find the groupthink “shut up” thing as something that stinks up the place.

Not sure what those committed to this behavior think they are accomplishing by doing this other than the “hurr hurr good hit!” reinforcement of other jerks.

Are they trying to drive you off the board by harassing you? Get you to change your posting style? Or just have fun ganging up together on someone they have decided they don’t like?

Really the last and most pathetic one is the only one that fits.

Read about half of this without catching who you guys were talking about. Figured it might be Vinyl Turnip, and I was working on my “Hey, not that bad!” post but…

Well, good. Save it for later.

I think it’s fair to say I treat **SlackInBrain **with exactly zero respect and have no problem insulting him.

Although even there, it’s his lovingly recounted fantasies of 14 y.o. transgirls soaping their penises that’s a leeeetle more bothersome than his admitted racism.

When multi-quoting gets me so much love? Why would I ever stop?

Hey, BigT. I’ve never snarked on you and I generally agree with you about most things. But this is the problem:

People don’t want to be lectured. All of us are adults who are able to formulate opinions on things. Not all of our opinions are the same. Everyone feels that their own opinions are the “right” ones. Yours hold no more weight than mine or anyone’s. If you could just say what you think without adding “And anyone who disagrees is morally wrong!” people would be more likely to listen to you.

I order you to be QUIET!!!
(“Just one bottle. Just one jot. Just one tittle. That’s the lot.” - “Oh shut up”)

I don’t agree with using “tard”, either, for reasons that have been stated. Sometimes BigT has a good point and for a long time, I wondered why people trolled him. Then he replied to me and I understood. He completely misrepresented what I posted and attributed opinions to me that I didn’t hold. He bulldozed right over my post and was dismissive of me because saying what he wanted to say was so much more important than being even halfway decent to me, someone who had never before said a bad word against him. I’m not into repeatedly hounding someone, but I understand the issues people have with him.

I endorse this pitting.

It’s pretty much this. His posts are a mixed bag, but aren’t uniformly awful: they mostly contain a core of a defensible idea. Which is why posters find them so annoying: if they were 100% awful they would be funnier.

It’s gotten to the point where if he makes moral pronouncements he’s (accurately) criticized as being pompous but when he gamely makes it clear that’s it’s his opinion only - he’s criticized for talking about himself. Ludicrously hostile readings.

Your constant and poorly substantiated attacks on BigT make you come off as obsessed, Guin. You’re not alone of course: Morgenstern has a veritable hard-on for the guy.

I honestly don’t have problems with BigT. Seriously. None. I read the first couple of sentences from his post, get bored, then move on. It is a joy when guys like Morgenstern quote a couple of pompous paragraphs that I was wholly unaware of, because I didn’t make it to that part of his post. Happens all the time. Sort of a Streisand effect at work.

Finally, geez Guin: compare this guy to the banned poster T he Ry an. Way different, risibly.

He’s socially clueless in many ways. But check it out: he’s modified his posting habits, indicating a certain level of self awareness. He has a grasp of who he is.

Thanks for giving us the venomous yinzer toad take on this topic.

We’re seeing a lot of the old, “but he makes me bully him” defense in this thread. It never holds water.

Just skip over his posts.

And the just skip over his posts argument which is even sillier. Anyone can just skip over posts. Just skip over the posts where BigT is being criticized.

Oh bullshit.

You’re a bully. Own it.

They’ll never own it. They get a sense of self worth belonging to a group that relentlessly and dishonestly bullies those they perceive as weak. A bunch of jackals but with less utility.

Careful with that wide brush. You might put out an eye.

Shodan’s got his regards, Snowboarder shits in the quarry, BigT can’t possibly learn anything about ethics from anyone else, I see the whole world through the prism of third graders, and you multiquote the fuck out of every single post. We all have our quirks.

So sure, if there is a particular offensive post that deserves to be “roundly criticized” go for it. Opening up a Pit thread, or ten of them … sure.

But here let’s look at his last post that provoked the last time you graced these boards with your funny, clever, witty, and so useful contribution of “Shut up BigTard”

That post is such egregious offensive shit? Not horrible points made actually, even if maybe they could have been made better.

You think Shagnasty is so very loathsome yet do you go around telling him to shut up whatever and whenever he posts constantly? No, and do not suggest you do.

Now excuse me, I just walked my dog in the yard and have some of you to scrape off my shoe …

:rolleyes: Very mature. It certainly makes me want to give your OP all of the consideration it deserves.