Site Downtime:

Let’s get this started because I bet someone will ask anyway.

Do you guys not know when the entire site is going to need its database updated? If you do, it would be nice to be told.

Of course, I can understand it being some sort of emergency or something otherwise unexpected. If you don’t mind, I’d be interested in knowing what happened.

I had no prior knowledge of this event. I can only assume it was an unscheduled maintenance event on the main Straight Dope site, which also affected the SDMB.

Sorry for the downtime. Everything seems to be working fine now.

-xash
Administrator

No, nobody told us anything.

Thanks, xash.

When was this? I missed it. Must have been watching curling.

In the range of 1:00 Central this morning. I was trying to preview a reply to a thread when it just went away.

I checked with Jerry. He hadn’t gotten any notices, but remembered that a hardware upgrade had been scheduled for the Chicago Reader site, which shares some resources with us. Our provider must have shut down everything for a while. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I thought the world was ending. It is 2010, right?

Oddly, though, there seem to have been a few posts during that time. So apparently it didn’t affect everyone, or there was some (possibly accidental) way around it.

It was down from about 1.15am to 2.45am (CST) Chicago time.

Thanks, guys. I take it you can’t get the guys upstairs to tell you everything, huh?

It was just disconcerting. I had just done something a little unusual on my computer, and I thought I’d messed it up, at least for me.

No, you’re good for more than 2 1/2 years. It’s supposed to be December 21, 2012. That should be more than enough advance warning. :wink: