Slowest pouring sauce, ever

I realize Heinz 57 and A1 Steak Sauce can pour just fine when full. But take a mostly empty bottle out of the fridge and it becomes a real test of patience.

Ketchup in a glass bottle can be slow, too. But they have solved this issue with squeezable plastic bottles. Why does Heinz and A1 insist on staying with narrow necked glass bottles?

Shaking the bottle vigorously can sometimes loosen the sauce, but it is less effective when there isn’t as much left in the bottle.

And what other sauces can take the crown of slowest pouring sauce?

HP brown sauce.

I’d imagine it’s because people use Heinz and A1 a few tablespoons at a time, while a family (esp. with kids) can friggin’ blow through ketchup. I like A1, too, but I doubt I could go through a container of it the size of some ketchup bottles fast enough to make it worth taking up that much space in my fridge door.

Not sure if plastic is cheaper, but glass seems like it would be more expensive. And wouldn’t the sauce makers want people to use it up faster and buy more product?

Do you count honey as a sauce? Because, that.

Yes, that counts. Although a lot of people buy it in squeezable bear-shaped plastic bottles these days.

Honey is the only food item I know of where the standard unit of measure is “bear.” Not bottle, not jar, not container…bear.

In Canada, Heinz 57 and A1 both come in plastic bottles. I think HP does too but I’m not sure. Have you taken a close look at the grocery store? I think you can still get ketchup in plastic or glass bottles here, but I can’t imagine why anybody would buy the glass ones.

Heinz ketchup is not easy to find in glass bottles these days, unless you own a restaurant. Of course the secret to getting it out quickly - no matter how full the bottle is - is to palm strike the edge of the bottle where the little raised glass 57s are.

When the bottles start getting low, store them upside down.