Snow in Atlanta in March

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!

I walk out of class and I run face first into these massive flurries in the air. Granted they melt as soon as they hit the ground, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t snowing in Atlanta in MARCH. What’s up with this crap?

Jeepers.

I guess you were not around for this:

Storm of the Century

Really not that uncommon for Atlanta to see snow flurries in early March.

You’re right that it isn’t uncommon, however, this time around there was no warning. Usually we start hearing about possible flurries days in advance. :rolleyes: Last I heard, today was supposed to be in the 50s.

Now, that’s not to say that these flurries are worth getting worked up about. Basically, it’s enough to say, “ooo, pretty”. It’s not sticking (at least, not in the city) and they only last a few minutes. But, knowing Atlantans, people will be headed to the grocery store to stock up on bread, milk and toilet paper. Maybe they should take a look at some of the pictures from the NE and realize that it ain’t so bad…

Count me in as super shocked, too! I walked out of my house this morning to take Miss Wigglepants for her morning walk and everything was white. :eek:

Oh I know it isn’t anything to get excited over, it’s just the sort of shock of it all.

The Emory University Administration building used to have a picture of the Student Union, deeply covered in snow, with its electric sign proclaiming “Happy Spring Break!”

So I assume Spring has well and truly sprung in Atlanta? Snow in March would be like snow in mid-May here in New England?

It’s snowing up here too. I’d be hard-pressed to classify it as “pretty” at this point.

During the Blizzard of '93, I was visiting with my then girlfriend and her parents. I got snowed in with them for a week. It was an interesting experience. I got to know her family quite well during that time. I married that girlfriend in April of '93 and we have been happily married ever since.

I remember one Spring Break when we were snowed/iced in for several days in early April. This was sometime back in the late '70s or early '80s. Just goes to show that Georgia Winter Weather has been odd for a long time.

-Belz

That would be known as Snowjam and it happened in 1983. I had to walk with my dad to pick up my mother from work. When we crossed I-75, it was bumper to bumper with abandoned cars (hence the name). As I recall, it took several days to clear all of the cars off of the highways. And, that one wasn’t predicted either; it just hit in the middle of the day.

Forgot to mention in my previous post: I love this story. That’s a pretty intense way to get to know your future in-laws. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Hah! Pikers.
Veteran of the Blizzard of '93.

Ah yes, now I remember it. Amazing that it happend 10 years prior to the great Blizzard. Are we seeing a recurring pattern here? What I remember most about it was getting the local daily paper and seeing a cute dog on the weekly Humane Society sponsor page. My little sister just HAD to have this dog. My dad and I loaded his '55 International pickup truck with as much wood as we could get on it (to help with traction) and driving over 40 miles round trip to get this dog. The old truck slipped and slid all over the back roads we were on. We got stopped by a State Trooper at one point who informed us that the road we were currently on was offically closed. The Trooper realized that we had to go somewhere, so he told us to just be careful. We got to the pound (remember when they were called pounds?) about 15 minutes before they closed due to the weather. We got the dog and got home safely, but that ride was an adventure I’ll never forget.

Thanks. It was indeed intense, especially since power and water was out for 3 of those days. Her family quickly learned that I was the crazy and/or brave enough to crawl into the fireplace to cook bacon and eggs for everyone. The eggs weren’t quite as done as I would have liked, but they asked me to get out of there when the smell of burning hair got too strong. It took over a month for the hair on my arms to grow back, but it was worth it. :smiley:

-Belz