"Snowflake" is just so apropo

Well, there was that one time back in the 90s, but hey it was the 90s everybody was doing it and I’d rather not talk about it.

If I have to give you my share of pecan pie AND my share of watermelon (which is yucky), I’m taking your share of the fried chicken. Fried chicken is delicious.

There is a simple test for this:

Do you have any kale? If yes, there is more than enough kale. If no, that is the correct amount of kale.

I once tied a noose around an apple, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Gimme five bees for a quarter,” you’d say. Now where were we… oh yeah. The important thing was that I had a noose on my apple, which was the style at the time. I didn’t have any red apples, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones…

Kale. Is. Over.

Spread the word.

Good to know, thanks!

Many outside observers who won’t take things in context neglect to account for the fact that something may seem racist to someone who is upset.

This is true of words too. If an outside observer, for instance, was unaware of the history of a racial slur, and saw that slur used against a minority, it would seem ludicrous overreaction for that minority to be upset.

It is not the fault of the people who are being oppressed and intimidated that an outside observer may not understand the context. It is the fault of the outside observer for being ignorant about the context.

Getting to the OP

Its just too loaded. The term.

(Shrug) Somebody who wants to see if he can get it to stick?? People flipping out sure wouldn’t be my first thought anymore than I’d worry about saying someone is ‘resorting to guerilla tactics’ and having to think about the color of their skin.

Long live love!

I thought it was “a propos”. Like, two words sort of, with a space between the a and the propos. You, know, from the French.

The original French is à propos (note the accent grave) but the English adoption is correctly apropos.

I thought bananas were supposed to be racist against Asians. :confused:

Thank you. Now can you please do something about arugula?

Amazing. I read all the time and have never noticed apropos–I’d wonder what the heck is this word. Pardon for having left out the accent grave. How the heck do you do it on SDMB? (I don’t really need to know–just thought i’d ask:))

The easiest way is to wait for someone else to put it in a message and then just copy and paste. Like this:

à propos

If nobody does, find another web site you can copy and paste from.

Quite right. They call it mellow yellow.

It failed to become the very next phase.

Quite right-lee.

That’s because people realized they were mistaking lack of oxygen to the brain for an actual high.

Hitler?

Precisely. That is defending ignorance. And it is a large part of why everyone acts like a lot of racist/sexist/etc stuff is no big deal. They are ignorant about the concept.

A good rule of thumb is as follows: if you see people are upset about something, but you don’t understand why, you almost certainly do not have the full information.

It’s not that they are choosing to be offended. It’s not that they are extremely thin skinned. It’s that you are unaware of the full issue.

This is a personal lesson I had to learn the hard way, and I wish for others not to have to.

It’s not perfect. I’m not perfect. But I think it is a great guide for how to live life.

Additionally, this thread is especially bad. The link actually provides the context! And yet the OP is ignoring it. He’s so sure that these people are snowflakes that he couldn’t even read what he posted and try to understand.

Pedants, mostly, judging by the responses so far.

re: misspelling of “apropos”… perhaps he was going to spell it correctly, but he slipped.

Like, on a banana peel.

Because they’re… never mind.

In many situations this is a good rule to follow, but the problem with it is that it can work in favor of ignorance as well. For example, I saw people upset about taking down the Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina state capitol. Does that mean I didn’t have the full information? No. It means that the people who were upset embraced a symbol of the fight to retain slavery as a legitimate institution and continue to use that symbol to represent their racial superiority. I am sure they would vehemently disagree with my characterization, and so I would call them bigots. Flip the picture and you have those people calling the people they victimize “snowflakes.”