"Snowflake" is just so apropo

No, that’s a misquote.

What the students said was “We done the passion fruit. We done oranges, apples, grapefruit (whole and sections) pomegranates, greengages, grapes, passion fruit, lemons, plums, and mangoes in syrup.”

Regards,
Shodan

I had no idea that African Americans would be offended by banana peels. Arkansas is next to Mississippi. I thought I knew all about that stuff.

I learned that just now myself. It does make sense though, that you and I may not be as in touch with the intimidation that is leveled at other minority groups.

At first, I thought, “banana peels, what’s that have to do with race?”

Then I read the story with the students of the university putting bananas in trees with nooses around them, and then it made sense. Someone used the bananas specifically to threaten and intimidate the african american students.

In light of that, their reaction to seeing what looked like a similar type of message being directed at them I can understand them being a bit upset.

When you learned about the attempts at intimidation using bananas against them, I assume that you then did have a good idea that african americans could be concerned that someone is leaving banana peels in trees along their route.

i am triggered by people who don’t know how to spell apropos.

Not quite. Bananas in nooses, typically with “AKA-free” written on them, were hung from trees as an intimidation tactic, the noose and the writing being key elements. This is rather different from a banana peel with no text on it snagged on a random twig.

I can kind of understand that some of the people who saw the banana peel might have raised their eyebrows a bit, but it seems people got a bit more bent out of shape than they ought have, and the fellow who tossed the peel ended up getting excoriated.

He investigated by reading a newspaper article and then paraphrasing it in a manner that would trigger a certain kind of snowflake.

More for the rest of us!

Bananas have been thrown at black soccer players for a long time as a way of implying that they were monkeys. I’ve heard of it mostly in Europe but a quick search shows it has been used in the US at various times. It’s not just an innocuous piece of fruit with no meaning; that’s why it was used with the noose rather than, say, an apple.

So, everyone just decided to split, huh?

It was time to peel out.

Have you ever tried to tie a noose around an apple?

Yes, I vaguely recall a long, boring and pointless thread about whether or not that’s racist.

Not strange enough.

What’s next? Canceling outings because someone didn’t bring enough kale? I am sensing a definite slippery slope here.

Many folks who are or would be upset by banana peels in trees, etc. neglect to account for the fact that outside observers won’t take things in context. So what seems to be racist, (“Banana peel in tree!”) simply strikes an outside observer as ludicrous overreaction. A self-set trap.

Surely not.

Dude, nobody is infantilizing you. Your reaction to a bunch of teenagers is entirely your own, and you should own up to it.

That fellow’s explanation sure sounds a lot like bullshit. I’ve eaten my share of bananas. I’ve eaten plenty of them outdoors. I’ve thrown peels away outdoors. Who the fuck throws their banana peels into a tree?

Given the previous shittiness at the school, there’s a whiff of “look at me being edgy!” to this dude.

I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.

Don’t make Airplane jokes when someone speaks English. :slight_smile:

In other snowflake news, the town of Snowflake, Utah was apparently named by combining the surname of Senator Jeff Flake’s forbearers with that of another pioneer family, Snow.

It’s pretty cool what you can learn when you read for content, trying to set aside pre-existing biases. Flake’s book is pretty good.