So has anyone ever mixed up a flaming moe?

And what did it taste like?

:smiley:

I somehow got it into my head to actually do this,and assuming i don’t burn this place down i will have to post back.

I assumed Flamin’ Moes were based on absinthe, which in Slovakia is set aflame before drinking. But if you’re in the US, you can’t enjoy it, as it is illegal (though the US Postal Service does tolerate personal imports).

UnuMondo

The key ingredient is fictional. How can you make a Flaming Homer without Krusty Kough Syrup?

Besides the Kough syrup, do they give all the other ingredients and the mix ratios?

And anyway… [Frink]Brace yourselves, gentlemen. According to the gas chromatograph, the secret ingredient is… Love!? Who’s been screwing with this thing?[/Frink]

Or you can buy 151 Rum (thats the proof) add it to the top of the drink and light that instead. I’d done many shots on fire before good old Homer gave us his concoction. 151 is legal here in the states so no need to worry about the fuzz either. Although it will not give the rocket type flame like Homer’s

It burns! It burns!

1 shot Tequila
1 shot Schnapps
1 shot Creme De Menthe,
1 tbl. Krusty brand Cough Syrup

mix tequila, schnapps, and creme de menthe, then add cough syrup set on fire, pause briefly, then extinguish the flame

I bet Krusty’s brand is just a cheap ripoff of 'tussin. Let us know how it tastes!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Out of curiosity is that from a web site or are you making it up? I always thought that Homer said it was concocted from the remaining alcohol left in his cabinets (unspecified) and the accidental addition of Krusty brand Kough Syrup.

Is there such a thing as “Schnapps” without a flavor? Isn’t it Peach, Rasberry, etc? There very well could be but I never heard of it.

Never mind, I found the source (or one of them). Ther are other interesting recipes and tid bits there as well.

http://www.snpp.com/guides/foods.html

I haven’t made a Flaming Moe, but I have made Skittlebrau. It’s really not too bad, but when the beer hits the Skittles, it foams like mad.

Well, there was this time I told matt_mcl a long and rambling story and he looked really confused. Does that count?

I’ve never mixed one of these things up so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt but, judging from the recipe, my guess is it’s probably Peppermint Schnapps that’s used since it would probably blend nicely with the Creme De Menthe (and the cough syrup).

I would think with the syrup, Schnapps and de Menthe, that drink won’t light. 'Course, a little 151 will do the trick.

Maybe the secret ingredient of the Flaming Moe is DXM (dextromethorphan)

I don’t know the scientific explanation, but fire made it good!

Let’s ask Homer himself.

“One night, Marge’s beastly sisters were showing slides from their latest vacation…”
And this is Patty, trying to plug her leg razor into one of those ungodly Czechoslovakian outlets. As you can see, we never did get the hang of it.
“As I stared up at that hairy, yellow drumstick, I knew I needed a drink. I decided to mix the little bits that were left in every liquor bottle. (In a quick pan, we can see bottles marked “Tequila,” “Schnapps,” “Inflight Apertif,” and “Creme de Menthe”) In my haste, I had grabbed a bottle of the kids’ cough syrup. (Krusty Non-Narkotik Kough Syrup for Kids) It passed the first test…I didn’t go blind.”
During the slide show, ashes from Patty’s cigarette accidentially fell into the concoction, creating a miraculous flame!
“I don’t know the scientific explanation, but fire made it good!
[sub]From The Simpsons, episode #8F08 “Flaming Moes,” Written by Robert Cohen. ©1991 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.[/sub]

Homer himself doesn’t really seem to remember the ingredients, but the major ingredient besides the alcohol is cough syrup, which gives the drink its purple hue. And don’t forget the flame!

How about a Killer Shrew.