Some opinions wanted on androgeny

Clearly some folks are attracted to androgenous individuals.

What sex are you?
What is your orientation?
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous?
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex?

I’m a straight guy. I’m more likely to label men as androgenous. I’m not sure I can think of any androgenous women that I think are attractive.

What sex are you? Female
What is your orientation? Bi
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous? no
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? I prefer male androgeny to female androgeny, although I prefer girls (I am, however, in a committed, monogamous relationship with my soon to be husband).

I’ve always been attracted to androgynous men, particularly before I accepted that I wasn’t straight. They were to perfect answer to my desires. Delicate, graceful, and feminine, while still being male, which therefore made me feel more secure in liking them. Funny, my fiancee is probably the least androgynous guy I ever was attracted to.

What sex are you? Female.
What is your orientation? Bi.
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous? No, I’m more strongly physically attracted to men and I’m more likely to notice and admire androgyny in women.
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? Yes, I like men who are somewhat delicate and graceful, but an androgynous individual who’s a woman is far more likely to interest me than a man who’s androgynous. When faced with a girl with spiky short black hair who’s rocking the androgyny, I am made utterly helpless. I very nearly squee.

Male Hetero here. I certainly notice androgynous females (mmm short hair), as long as there is still a definite perky feminine vibe to their tomboyishness, and it can’t be an affectation. Butch women completely turn me off tho.

What sex are you? Female. Also gender.
What is your orientation? 80% straight
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous? Pretty equal, actually.
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? Absolutely. In both my preferred sexes, in fact! :smiley: I guess my preference scale would be:
androgynous men > androgynous women > average men > hyperfeminine women > average women > hypermasculine men
(in decreasing order of attraction)

What sex are you? Female
What is your orientation? Hetero
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous? Yes.
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? Definitely not.

Not recognizing the gender in another person, IMHO, is hot.

I’m a bi woman. I can find facially androgynous men and women attractive, if they are good-looking people. Bodies, I prefer to look clearly feminine and masculine, at least under the camouflage of clothes. I prefer ‘boyish’ individuals of both sexes. Femme girls and manly, craggy men usually do little for me (there are exceptions though).

In high school I went through a butch phase with almost no hair and loose boy’s clothes, and everyone thought I was a boy. It’s not that hard for a slim woman to pass at first glance if she takes away the usual identifiers like longer hair, fitted clothes and makeup.

Male, gay, I haven’t really thought about it, not particularly. That’s not to say I can’t find an androgynous guy attractive, but it’s not something I look for.

What sex are you? Male
What is your orientation? Heterosexual (I’m a 1 on the Kinsey)
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgynous? Yes
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? No, I am most attracted to extremely feminine women.

I’m male, I probably prefer women to men about 75/25. I strongly dislike androgyny, I like my women feminine and my men masculine.

What sex are you? Male, despite rumors to the contrary.
*What is your orientation? * Straight. Why, what have you heard?!
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgynous? Yes, probably because I don’t think about how men look nearly as much.
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? Hugely. Not that I don’t find girly women attractive as well. And I’m in the right place for it.

Sadly, this has lead to certain amusing demographic problems . . .

What sex are you? Male

What is your orientation? Heterosexual as straight as they come.

Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgynous? Yes

That is a tough one and a little hard to describe. I like females to look like females but not act overly feminine. A women that knows how to accessorize any outfit but also change a tire is good. I like cowgirls and feminine looking women that drive pickup trucks for instance. I don’t like females with typically masculine aggressive personalities, deep voices or females that have androgynous body types. I don’t like helpless women though either or those that do a hard segregation of things they shouldn’t do because of their sex like squash bugs or are overly timid about anything. Even though I make many misogynist remarks on this board, I am fairly androgynous myself and known to be unusually female friendly in real life in interests and style. I have only met a handful of females that matched my preferred type perfectly.

What sex are you?
Male
What is your orientation?
Hetero
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous?
More likely than what?
I think so. I love skinny, flat women with short hair cuts. And I like women who are athletic and active.

Male, gay.

Androgyny is sort of a “null” factor in men I find attractive; it neither turns me on nor off, and neither do the extremes. There are other qualities that are much more important.

What sex are you? Female.
What is your orientation? Gay.
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgynous? I’m not sure I understand this question, am I more likely to think of women as androgynous?
Are you attracted to androgyny in your preferred sex? Yes. I find women who take a second glance to affirm their gender immensely attractive. See here and here. I have no idea why this is so appealing but it makes me happy in the pants.

Straight male and I feel the same way, although I’m also attracted to more femme women. But the thing is, I do have a line. If it takes more than a second glance, it’s too much.

I also say that, for ever male feature you have, you must have one obvious female feature. Thus someone with a boyish face will be more attractive in a tight shirt with moderately large breasts, or wearing more feminine clothing. If you are femme, you’re just as attractive either way.

Still, I did wind up accidentally hitting on an emo guy once. All it took was hearing his deep bass voice, and all the attraction vanished. Hence, straight.

Female, bi (currently married to a male), I like male and female androgeny for aesthetic reasons, but female androgeny turns me on.

To be clear, “pretty boys” are sooo achingly beautiful, but I don’t want to snog them, I want to pet them.

I have never thought about whether either sex is more likely to look androgynous to me… I suppose I notice more males because they stand out from the crowd more here in the Bible Belt. “Tomboy” or “punk” or “rocker” girls (and women) tend to be more normalized.

My ultimate preference is when I come across a person where I can’t actually TELL their gender. I LOVE that feeling when my brain grinds to a halt going “but, but, I need categories!” and my libido takes over and says “want please!”

What sex are you? Male
What is your orientation? Hetero
Are you more likely to think of your preferred sex as androgenous? No, not really.
Are you attracted to androgeny in your preferred sex? In one limited respect- I find the “jockette” look cute and sexy. Buff but not massively muscular, and large clitorises.

Male, straight.
Very turned on by women with really short hair, which some consider androgenous.
Only works if they are otherwise feminine, so not sure if that counts.