Songs you like that are widely reviled by others

In the " Misinterpreted lyrics" thread, @Biggirl said about the song ‘Afternoon Delight’:

still love this song-- those harmonies are slammin’!

To which I replied:

Yeah, I know, right? I do not understand why that song gets so much hate, often ending up on “worst songs of the 70s” lists. It’s pure harmonic joy.

@Just_Asking_Questions, on the other hand, had what seems to be the majority opinion:

PS Afternoon Delight sucks. Always has, always will. :slight_smile:

So here’s your chance to go against the grain, swim against the tide, or otherwise [verb] against the [noun]. What songs do you secretly or not-so-secretly enjoy which are otherwise mostly reviled or ridiculed? (It has to be honest, not ironic, enjoyment).

I’ll leave off with a bit of delight. It’s not afternoon yet, but close enough:

Hello, my name is Dung Beetle and I am an Afternoon Delightoholic.

Hello Dung_Beetle! Glad you’re here, welcome.

Wildfire - beautiful and evocative.

A Horse With No Name
Wildfire
Puff The Magic Dragon
Muskrat Love (I love the tape FF sounds used for muskrat dialog)
Ride 'Em Cowboy (Paul Davis. When I was digitizing it, a friend laughed at what he thought was the song’s cloying sweetness. I quoted Dr Furter: “I didn’t record it for YOU!”)

I am not ashamed! :slight_smile:

I love love love “Wonderful Christmastime”!!!

^^ Solidarity!!

If you non-ironically enjoy those songs (especially the first four) I’m surprised you think Afternoon Delight sucks-- seems like it would be right in your wheelhouse. Guess there’s no accounting for taste.

I both wildly revile and love this song. Often at the very same instant.

Sometimes when we touch

And Puff the Magic Dragon is an AWESOME SONG!!!

Freebird is a rocking good anthem.

Some songs, such as ‘Freebird’, I think suffer from ‘Stairway to Heaven Syndrome’: they’re (mostly) universally acknowledged to be good songs, but are disliked only because they were egregiously overplayed in the past.

I think Sugar, Sugar by the Archies is a perfect little pop bonbon and the best ever song by cartoons.

Pretty much the usual suspects that show up in “music you hate” threads:

Afternoon Delight
Muskrat Love (derpy lyrics not withstanding)
The Night Chicago Died (regardless of there being no official east side of Chicago)
All I want for Christmas is You
My Heart Will Go On (the whole soundtrack to Titanic is gorgeous)
Achy Breaky Heart
Most yacht rock

Wow, that brings back memories. I was five years old, and that single was printed on the back of a cereal box (Super Sugar Crisp?). It was actual grooved plastic laminated on the box itself or something. I was amazed that a record could be printed onto a box that way. My parents removed it from the box for me and I played it over and over and over on our old-fashioned console record player, until either it wore out or my parents secretly threw it out while I was asleep.

What?!? Come on. Are you going to tell me next there’s no ‘South Detroit’, as mentioned in the Journey song 'Don’t Stop Believing"?

I was once castigated on the Dope for bringing up The Pipkins’ “Gimme Dat Ding” in a thread about metronomes.

Really, what good’s a metronome without a bell for ringing?

I’ve always been fond of the instrumental break in Richard Harris’ “MacArthur Park”.

You guys? I … uh … kind of like We Built This City.

Now, for me I hate Freebird. I think it, for lack of a better descriptor, “insists upon itself”. But I also know I dislike Skynyrd because a very good friend of mine loved them and their whole southern rebel attitude, and he hated Neil Young and always gave me shit for liking him. (A southern man don’t need him around anyhow!).

I do acknowledge it is a well made song, and have softened on it over the years. But it is yet another song about fear of commitment. I think we could have a huge thread on just songs like that.

It’s a combination of things. For me, it was just the straw that broke the camel’s back for 70s processed pop bands. It was the “let’s write a pop song for am radio about SEX! So daring!”. Rockets as a metaphor for sex is so…cheap. Like using a slide whistle. It just seemed to be “phony”. I think Chevy Van is a less phony song. But there’s no accounting for taste. :slight_smile:

One more: I unironically LOVE Wings’ Silly Love Songs. And what’s wrong with that?

I wonder sometimes if it would have a better reputation if the Monkees had made it as Kirschner intended. Or would it have ruined the Monkees forever?

And I love all of MacArthur Park. I’m actually not sure why it is so hated. Probably how seriously it takes itself, and its seven minute run time? I was so young then when it came out that when I watched The Molly Maguires I said, “Hey! It’s the singer!”

Even though it’s not actually a contest, you are a very strong early contender for Thread Winner :grin:

I appreciate the explanation! It’s interesting to hear the thought processes behind peoples’ likes and dislikes. I mean that non-ironically!

There’s an example of a song I ironically enjoy.

I’d rather fuck a muskrat than hear Free Bird, but I wasn’t going to say anything. :slight_smile: