Spider-man: No Way Home - Seen it thread (open spoilers)

Saw it yesterday, it was pretty great.

I need to see it again, but there was a point, I think when Strange and our Peter were fighting, when Strange zapped what appeared to be five of Shang Chi’s rings onto Peter’s arm. Was this an in-universe reference to the other movie or something?

I just recommended it to someone and said: “Worth seeing just for Snarky Cumberbatch.”

I don’t think it looked like Shang-Chi’s rings, it looked to me like ropes made of magical energy…he used a similar trick on Thanos in Infinity War.

No, I remember Strange also doing that. Energy-whips or something. These were rings. I guess I’ll have to wait for the blu-ray and find the scene again.

OK, so I saw the movie in the theater and have promised my daughter to buy the 3-pack of the first three movies on Blu-ray once they get released in a pack.

I took a look at the Steven vs. Peter fight on a pirated/camcorder version and I do not see anything like rings, Shang-chi-style or not.

Steven does some mirror universe stuff, then he uses two portals to make Peter go in an infinite portal loop(like the game Portal!).

Peter creates a web(through the portal) that entangles the cape and the magic-spell-cube.

Strange uses a magic-electric-whip to grab his cape and pulls it, pulling the two portals onto Peter. They kind of flip out of that and Peter uses his geometry-knowledge and his webs to tie up Steven Strange. He exits through one of the portals back home.

I don’t see any rings or stuff. Peter does take Dr. Strange’s “magic finger ring thing” off his hand. He gives it to Ned at some point, who uses it to portal in Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire.

I am referencing their main conflict from the middle of the movie, when he ties up Strange and they fight through the mirror-universe and portals, ect.

Did I miss something?

I don’t know. Maybe I dreamed the rings. Or it wasn’t during the fight.

Strange gave Peter some ring-things to transport the villains back to the holding cells. They’re what he used to bring back Electro and Sandman.

Overall I liked it. There were lots of fun little moments, and the three spider men interacting was great. Some of the plot was ridiculous, like “I’ll just take these 5 supervillains over to Happy’s apartment and leave one in the van” but that’s par for the course.

Good movie. It’s no Spiderverse, but that’s a high bar.

Watched it today in a (thankfully) mostly empty theater and had fun with it. I was sort of “eh” about the Mysterio one and loved the first one and I’d put this one in second place. But it relies on a lot of audience pandering and I can’t imagine that someone who never saw the earlier films would enjoy it as much. Really, it sort of reminds me of Infinity War/End Game in that way – not really great movies in their own right but satisfying endcaps for the collection of films leading up to that point. Also, like IW/EG, it helps if you don’t waste too many mental calories trying to work out the mechanics of people forgetting Parker or getting returned from being Snapped.

Agreed that Holland is aging out of convincingly playing a high schooler but then I also can’t buy Zendaya as a high school kid at this point either. Luckily, despite parts being in/on a high school, I could let that go for the sake of story.

I don’t know what leaving The Lizard in the truck was supposed to accomplish storywise. Busting out of the side of the truck and climbing a building wasn’t much different from if he just climbed out from the condo window.

Hollywood high school bio/chem labs are always so much better supplied than mine was where we had to fight for one of the working Bunsen burners.

Despite the “multiverse” similarity to Spider-Verse, I didn’t find myself comparing them probably in large part because one was animated. Spider-Verse is probably “better” as a stand-alone product (see above) but it didn’t make me like this one any less. Speaking of, I still like the TM Spider-Man 1 & 2. Come at me!

Admittedly, this was an elite magnet STEM school in Manhattan, so it’s at least a little plausible that it was that well-equipped.

I’ll allow it :wink: Was more a general statement about Hollywood HS science labs than a criticism about this specific movie.

As a data point, my 16yo daughter has not seen, nor has any interest in seeing, the other Spiderman franchises but ranks this as the best of the 3 Tom Holland movies. She also ranks it highly in the MCU.

Probably just to provide a scare for J. Jonah Jameson for the viewers to laugh at.

Finally, reluctantly, went to see it, and enjoyed it a lot.

It was “reluctant” for me as I got sick of all the many spiderman movies years ago and I have skipped several of the films of the last two generations. But this film was virtually made for me, as it seemed to be poking fun at a lot of the concept and recycled themes.
And I couldn’t help feeling a bit nostalgic seeing Tobey Macguire and Willem Dafoe (still got it, Will).

Got a gay vibe between the two older spidermen. I’m sure it wasn’t deliberate, but I guess it was hard to avoid, with them being so close and with none of the female past characters coming back.
(Yes I know our culture should allow men to be close, and emotional, without jumping to “gay”, I’m just saying that’s where my mind went, not that it’s right…)

The ending felt a bit contrived to me, but apart from that everything was paced well and with enough humor that it was a great cinema experience.

Interesting.
Maybe I’m getting old, but Zendaya did look like a kid to me. I could have bought that she was 16, let alone 18. Tom…sometimes looked fine but sometimes looked clearly twenty-something.

I wonder if part of it is me being vaguely aware of her existence since Disney stuff so knowing full well there’s no way she’s ~17 years old. Or, in other words, me seeing her in the movie and thinking “Hey, that’s Zendaya” rather than “Hey, that’s MJ”.

Yeah, I wasn’t familiar with her before this.

Flash Thompson would be a possible symbiote host. He becomes Anti-Venom in the comics.

The key to this is a little thing I often pine for in a blockbuster movie: Acting. Both Tom And Zendaya did a great job of reacting and speaking like the high schoolers I know (though they are playing teens who are being required by events to act like adults, so I’d expect a bit of “mandatory maturity”).

I’d seen her in Greatest Showman, but her MJ role has kind of become what I associate her with now.

So I was thinking about Civil War…and everyone involved when they had two seconds to think about it and compare notes had to be thinking, “What the FUCK was up with that Spider-Guy???”

MCU Metas:

Half are fugging Super-Soldier related
Then a whole host of non-powered guys like Hawkeye, Iron Man, Black Widow…
A genius who …wait…Hulk is also Super-soldier related kinda…
Then some Infinity Stone related people…

And that super-strong kid in the Jammies??? Hey Tony, where’d that kid come from? Infinity Stone? Super-Soldier?

Tony: “Not sure, lemme call him…He says he was bit by a radioactive spider!”

“…”

“HOLY SHIT!!!”
“MuhahaHaha!”
“Okay, tiny dude is big now. He’s big now!”