SQUEE!! Flander gets a kitten!

Flanderchick and I have been wanting a kitten for a bit. Well, last Friday we finally did it. Picked him up at the humane society. He’s adorable, playful, cuddly, and hasn’t tried to eat the bunny rabbit yet.

Mao is his name. :smiley:

Awww! He is so adorable! Congratulations on letting a cat adopt you. :smiley:

Let a thousand photos bloom! For naming him “Mao,” however, you should probably expect to catch a certain amount of flak.

And I wouldn’t worry about the bunny. Sparrows, on the other hand,…?

Miaou? :slight_smile:

Oh what a cute kitten!

:)Waaaay cute! He’s adorable. I like his name. Reminds me of another poster who named their kitten Chairman Meow.

Following up on the Sino theme, according to one website, your kitty is, in the Chinese Zodiac/Horoscope system, an Earth Rat. Here’s the profile [with a few footnotes added by yours truly]:

EARTH RAT Horoscope
Feb 10, 1948 to Jan 28, 1949
Feb 7 , 2008 to Jan 25, 2009

Rat people[1] are so charming and attractive they are always surrounded by friends and admirers[2]. They can also be lone tumbleweeds, seldom making lasting friendships.[3] Known as Perfectionists[4], they never want to lose face[5]. It takes an understanding friend to get them to “put on the dancing plumes.”[6] Rat people have vivid imagination and are known for creating extraordinarily magic moments in time.[7] Not surprisingly, the sensitive Rats have the gift of insight and clairvoyance, so you better watch out what you think around them![8] Rats enjoy being leaders and pacesetters and usually enjoy extraordinary success in life.[9]

Hearty Bean Soup[10] is one of the keys to good health for a Rat!!

The early years of the Earth Rat’s career seemed like nothing but burning the midnight oil at the time. But in retrospect, the strong work ethic, discipline, caution, and long hours[11] are what led to their current life of abundance for themselves and their families. Today there is more time to enjoy the fruits of their labor and to do the things they put off for too long. Life is filled with weekend escapades, longer excursions, and membership in the Unofficial Adventurer’s Club, which requires its “members” to live life to its fullest.[12] One very fulfilling area of their lives is Love & Romance, hearts and flowers all the time.[13] Earth Rats are very dependable souls and always attentive towards the needs of their loved ones.[14] Together, they share a love[15] that will last for all the moons of their lives.

Famous RAT people: Richard Nixon, Shakespeare, Prince Charles, Julia Child, Louis Armstrong, Prince Andrew, Andrew Lloyd-Webber, Kathleen Battle, Albert Finney [16]

[1] “People” meaning “persons,” of which feline companions definitely qualify.
[2] Make that “supplicant,” “slave,” or “worshipper”. Make that all of the above.
[3] Well, so few cats and naked apes qualify…
[4] On edit: “Purrfectionists”.
[5] What cat ever does?
[6] This works better with a red-laser pointer.
[7] Like that time I’ll be tipping over your pricey thingamajig, clawing that too-smooth sofa, or pretasting that turkey you’ve prepared for company.
[8] Look deeply into my eyes, monkey-man…
[9] Let me teach you how to properly enjoy your future retirement – eating, napping twenty hours out of every twenty-four…
[10] Make that “pork and beans,” heavy on the pork, lighter – no, lighter still – on the beans. Ahh.
[11] My hours for active patrol, during which I drive away would-be interlopers by my frightful howling and yowling, are more like 3 - 6 A.M., when I expect breakfast to be served promptly, and will scratch at your door or walk over your sleeping form until served.
[12] Especially for indoor/outdoor cats, but I don’t require that perk.
[13] Yes, I know I’m your widdy liddle puddy-cat. Now give me some cheese.
[14] Whenever I manage to catch a bug, lizard, mouse, bird, snake, or squirrel, you’ll be the first to know. BTW, do you prefer heads or tails?
[15] And occasional cheese farts, sorry.
[16] By coincidence, someone once compared my yowling to that song from Lloyd-Webber’s “The Phantom of the Opera” – to my favor, no less. Hey, I never claimed we were purrfect. But we’ve all made an indelible mark, each in our own way, haven’t we?

Squee! So cute.

There’s lots of advice for new kitten owners in this thread.

More small pics.

Also, me and the bunny.

Played with him on lunch break (I live 2 minutes from work). He rules!

SO cute! He’s going to have a beautiful coat!

Oh I love his eyes! What a beauty.

cute-diddly-ootley, Flanderino!

Mao is one handsome dude already.

Awww… :slight_smile: Congratulations! Is that 貓?

That there is more fur than kitty. But at least it’s CUTE fur, as long as it stays on the kitty. I particularly love the shot of him yawning, and showing all his fearsome milk teeth.

Bingo. :slight_smile: (though I don’t know if the english spelling is correct)

Such a cutie!!! :slight_smile:

It’ll probably be a few months before it realizes the bunny is food, so it’s safe… for now. :smiley:

He’s GORGEOUS! (And the kitten ain’t bad, either. :smiley: )

ETA: How about that - I’m flirting in a kitten thread at exactly the same time my husband is posting. Serendipity or what?

Obey The Kitty!

What a cutie! Congrats to your family.

I love his name.

SQUEEEEEEKITTY! alsO, SQUEEEEEEBUNNY!