[QUOTE=Mosier]
So for all the naysayers out there, why exactly do you suppose ambitious middle management types seem to be the ones insisting on “we” all the time? It’s more subtle than “haha, you fell into my ambiguous pronoun trap!” as was suggested earlier, but the implied credit usurpation (ha! spell checker found that word for me!) is still there.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe it is. But I’m thinking the degree to which you consider the use of that pronoun a personal affront is probably highly dependent on the level of pre-existing animosity you have with the person using it, as well as your own fears about having your work co-opted.
For example, at my job if a project manager said “do we know yet what’s causing that problem,” I would take the “we” to mean us as an organization, or referring to the group of engineers which whom I work (also part of the same organization, ultimately part of the same company, of which “we” are all a part). I would not feel threatened by it in the least, but then, I do not work with a bunch of assholes who I feel are trying to take credit for my work. If I did, I would probably react differently.