Stop using "we" when you mean "you."

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation that hasn’t already been said.

Perhaps you don’t realize that I speak to clients directly as well? Perhaps you don’t realize that, just because they’re a manager, doesn’t mean that they necessarily interact with clients?

I’ve been in situations where I’ve spoken to clients and was able to convey in a succinct manner that the problem was resolved even though I didn’t do it. I believe taking credit for someone else’s hard work shows lack of character.

At no point in this entire thread was the tone ever one of “conveying partnership.” In fact, your tone in the above paragraph is condescending and your ideas are frankly, naive. There IS NO PARTNERSHIP between subordinate and manager. It’s just a bullshit tactic to get the subordinate to work harder and faster – it’s just another form of the “attaboy.” Small instances of positive reinforcement go a long way.

Considering the problem eventually found it’s way to me, and I’m the only one like me in my firm, that’s out.

By “that shit”, do you mean, “talking to somebody like you’re both professional adults, not a master and a slave”? I’ve never understood the idea that, because one employee’s job is a management job, other employees with non-management jobs should talk to him with deference. Fuck that; you’re co-workers in the same company. Supervisory authority doesn’t give you the right to punish underlings for daring to speak frankly. Nor would you have the inclination, unless you’re a pissy little bitch.

My dad used to say “Who’s ‘we’; you got a mouse in your pocket?” So one time I made sure I actually had a mouse in my pocket; made my whole day.

You know, the more you write about your work beliefs, the sorrier I feel for the poor shmuck manager who has to deal with you. There is no partnership in the workplace, the misuse of a pronoun is clear proof that he’s trying to take credit for your work…

If you think what I said was condescending, I suggest growing a thicker skin may be called for.

And if you really feel that there is no partership between yourself and your boss, that you are not on the same side I suggest changing your workplace.

plz read entire thrd - kthxbye

And being a co-worker doesn’t mean you should launch into some passive-aggressive nonsense about the use of pronouns being some sort of workplace slight. Nor would you have the inclination, unless you’re carrying some strange chip on your shoulder. Shit, I hate smilies and the use of text abbreviations in emails. Should I start accusing colleagues of being idiots or of some other shit?

Honestly, if the biggest issue you have with a colleague is you don’t like his choice of pronouns can I suggest that they might not be that bad a person? If the guy tries to shaft you over, fair cop - the guy is clearly a dick. But if really all you’re whining about is he uses “we” and you’d prefer he used “you”, then storm in a teacup. Fuck, I’m just glad for Dudley’s colleagues that English doesn’t have formal and informal pronouns like French (formal you - vous, informal - tu). Lord help them if they’d addressed him informally, when he answers only to the CIO, etc.

Is that where this usage comes from? Did it get a lot of play back on the plantation? I’m trying to picture an overseer saying, “So, Kunte Kinte, where are we on the cotton picking today?” and somehow, I just can’t quite see it.