Strange things you've said to your children

When we were pregnant with our first child, we walked in on a friend who was feeding her two year old, to hear her say, “NO! You can’t have any milk until you drink every last drop of that Coke!”

… it turned out, the kid had been asking for one drink and then another and then another, without drinking any, just asking for them and then rejecting them. Somewhere around the fifth or sixth drink, the mother put her foot down.

“Jesus is waiting for you in the car.”

Paidhi girl has this baby doll. It went through several name changes–a Teletubbies episode inspired her to name it Angus, for a week or two after the arrival of Paidhi Boy it was named after him, and then Christmas came. It was the first year she really understood what was going on, and she was very impressed by the whole sheperds and manger thing they were talking about at school, and ever since then the thing has been Baby Jesus. Which got me some funny looks in the grocery store the day she realized she wasn’t holding it. “Waaaah! I lost Jesus!” She hadn’t, he was just chilling in the car.

Mine are pretty boring. I was one of those weirdos that read and sang to my children “in utero” (sp?).

I used one of those preggers megaphone thingies. And not just ordinary “Good Night Moon” type stuff either. Shakespear, the bible, all the boring classics (including classical music which is not my fave).

In my defense, both my kids are super bright (I’ll stop there so I don’t get sent to the “shut up about your kids already” pit thread. lol