Stuff that should be rebooted

so many shows ruin themselves when someone decides they have to have a “bad guy” like sliders ……

nickelodeon cant do dark and gritty or even realistic …….parents wont let them…see the reaction of the ending of the second airbender series where it slightly inferred she ended up with a girlfriend/wife

the guy from key and peele who made “get out” is trying twilight zone again soon ………

There are about 20 or so great episodes of the original…out of 150. We remember the great ones, our faves, many of which were written by Science Fiction greats. Damon Knight, Harlan Ellison, etc.

We forget the bad ones, the Mr. Dingle, the Strong,Ninety Years Without Slumbering,The Bewitchin’ Pool, and so forth. ymmv.

Right. Of course an anthology series like The Twilight Zone is really hit-and-miss, depending on the quality of the individual scripts.

I think Black Mirror’s success proves an anthology can work. I remember reviews and on line comments at the time when BM first premiered suggested many younger people were confused by the very concept of an anthology. I think that made for an uphill climb but now the pump is primed (to mix my metaphors :))

I think one of the big obstacles for anthologies is that you have a relatively small team of writers trying to come up with original scripts every week. Someone should try crowd sourcing one like Eric Flint has done with his Ring of Fire series and the Grantville Gazette. Cherry pick a fan-fic site for plots and stories and then purchase the rights from the author. Win-win. Fresh ideas from wildly varied sources and aspiring writers getting money and exposure.

I think we’ve gotten exactly far enough away from the original for a new Remington Steele to work, but they have to figure out a new premise, which was questionably dated even in 1982. Maybe Miss Holt is actually a felon, but Mr. Steele is squeaky-clean but incompetent.

Also, Brosnan could play Daniel Chalmers.

Of course, with Black Mirror’s success, there’s no need for a new Twilight Zone. I mean, if you were a script writer with a good idea for a one-off, Twilight Zone-ish script, would you push for a reboot of TZ, or just shop it out to the BM guys?

But Black Mirror is focused on Technology. The TZ is more open ended and can literally be about anything.

Well, the original show was a reimagining of The Thin Man. Nothing is ever new anymore.

But you gave me an idea - how about a revere reboot of RS. Steele is a real licensed detective, good looking, hits all the right notes. But, he’s just a terrible detective. He’s Lance White without Lance’s good luck.

And along comes Laura Holt. Spunky, plucky, smart, good looking, with a mysterious past. And a natural detective. How they meet is up to the writers - does she hire him, or try to con him, what? And then they similar adventures.

Both!

The Thin Man, William Powell, Myrna Loy, MGM 1934. It’s a male-female team that solves crimes, but that’s about the only similarity. Nick and Nora Charles were married, he was a former policeman, she was rich. And if Remington Steele drank like Nick Charles he’d be dead by the third act.

I can’t believe that Sliders and Quantum Leap have been named a few times,
(and i loved them both, but only Scott Bakula could be Sam to me)
BUT…nobody has mentioned Voyagers!
To a 15 year old kid with a love for history and time travel…this was the series of a lifetime!
And I imagine it was only the untimely death of Jon-Erik Hexum that prevented the series from going on to greater success.

[Bolded for emphasis]

Voyagers was cancelled after one season while Jon-Erik Hexum was very much alive. He died the following year while on the cast of another series, Cover Up.

Ahhh yes, I do remember that now.
Perhaps my younger self still had hope that the series would return, until I heard of Hexum’s death.

Time for a reboot!

AFAIK, Master and Commander is a composite of at least two books.

If you want Nelson-era naval action, there are also some other authors, such as C.S. Forester (Hornblower) and Dudley Pope (Ramage, my personal favorite). Not too sure about the budget, though, even with CGI. A replica ship was built for a Hornblower film. You need at least one real ship for such films.

Remakes of old series or films seldom succeed, partly because they are rooted in the era in which they were made and look dated. Trying to bring them up to date can make matters worse, as in the comments about a speculative remake of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Re-do Cormac McCarthy’s “All the Pretty Horses” and not let Billy Bob Thornton get anywhere near it.

I know it was only a mini-series, but I always thought that Lost Room had some pretty good potential.

:D

There was an attempt to reboot Time Tunnel in 2002. It sucked.