Super Bowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts v. New Orleans Saints (2/7/2010)

There was a lot of flak given to Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell for sitting the Colts starting offense 4 weeks ago as they “rested up” for the playoffs. Love it or hate it - it worked. The Colts seemed a little slow to start in the first half of both playoff games, but every aspect of their game was clicking by the end of the first half. An underrated defense stepped up against two powerful running offenses. But things aren’t exactly as they seem. Going through the Colts regular season schedule, they won the first 14 games in a row - but 7 of those wins were decided by 4 points or less. Can they put together a game plan for the Saints?

I hope not. The Quitters do not deserve to win the Super Bowl in my opinion.

This is one of those rare years, where I’ll be happy whatever the outcome. The only thing I’d hate is a blowout game, but I think there’s too much offense and too little defense for either team to be out of it going into the 4th qtr.

I really, really love watching football – especially the NFL. But I have no favorite team and never care who wins. I generally pull for who ever is behind to keep it close.

That said, I actually found myself rooting for the Saints last night. I realized that not only had the Saints never been to the Super Bowl, but New Orleans – having no other major league team – has never won a pro title.

I don’t why I should care, but for some reason I do. Which is rare for me. So I’m going to be pulling for the Saints. Although I’d much, much, much rather them lose a close game than win in a blowout.

My empathy for New Orleans has its limits

Which team are you talking about here? They both rested their starters in the last couple games.
It’ll be a damn close game, I think, and I’m pleased. This is the matchup I wanted to see ever since both the Colts and the Saints were playing towards undefeated seasons.

The one that sat their starters while ahead in the midst of a perfect season.

How do you know “it worked”? We don’t know what would have happened if they hadn’t rested their starters. In fact, if the Colts win the Super Bowl I might be more tempted to say they blew a huge chance at history.

I’ll be rooting for the Saints for no other reason than I like Drew Brees and I think the city could use a chmpionship.

I merely said that to avoid this exact debate. It’s ENTIRELY irrelevant to the game in two weeks.

Can’t we just all root for the players to have fun? Why does there always have to be a winner in the NFL?

New Orleans has the NBA’s Hornets.

New Orleans has a professional basketball team.

:smack:

And it had the Jazz before them, back in the day. :wink:

Hornets owner is a total slimeball. People in Charlotte loved Shinn because he brought them a major league team but after about 10 years they almost tarred and feathered him out of town.

I think there’s going to be a lot of great storylines to cover on Media Day. The country is going to love rooting for the Saints, what with Haiti fresh in everyone’s minds, I’m sure there will be plenty of comparisons to Katrina. Add in their Super Bowl draught, and it’ll be hard to root against them.

Pierre “The Haitian Sensation” Garcon of the Colts will get a whole heck of a lot more attention (he’s not even all that well known here in Indy). He’s pretty quiet - I hope he’s able to make a recognizable name for himself and put a face on the Haitian tragedy. Also for the Colts we’ll have comparisons to '06 when they won it - a game that was also played in Miami.

And it seems there’s a debate brewing as to a nickname for Austin Collie. “Lassie” or “The Stormin’ Mormon”?

Another quiet, big play WR in Indy? You got some sort of factory there?

I have no idea who to root for in this one. Love Manning and Brees. I just hope it’s interesting in the 4th quarter, I guess.

Same here. I like both teams, and I don’t think that’s ever happened for me.

I think it’s amazing the Colts have survived by the skin of their teeth in so many key games, often against lesser teams. I wasn’t surprised the Vikings and Saints played such a close one, but Indy has sometimes struggled against less impressive competition- and yet here they are. If they fall behind like that against New Orleans it will be a lot harder to come back. So I predict they trail by no more than 10 points going into the fourth before rallying to win 34-31. :stuck_out_tongue:

As a former resident of Jefferson Parish whose high school graduation ceremony was in New Orleans, I must say Geaux Saints!

You play to win the game!

Colts = 2 rings
Saints = 0 rings

… and I like the Saints. It’s nice to see a team overcome adversity and shake a long history of ineptitude. Geaux Saints!

I bleed Black & Gold, and have for 40 years. Finally the Saints make it to the Super Bowl. Frankly, I wasn’t sure I’d live long enough to see it happen. If they actually win it all, somebody here should probably just send the paramedics out to my house–dunno that the ticker can handle that much excitement.

And, shameless homer that I am, I really think the Saints have a shot at winning. They can score on Indy. Indy can score back. I expect a shootout, and the last possession may well determine the outcome.

GEAUX SAINTS

I’m happy for both the Colts and the Saints. They’ve both been the team I’ve rooted for in the playoffs since my 49ers stopped playing past December. I picked the Vikings to beat the Saints in the prediction threads because I didn’t expect an infection of fumblitis in Minnesota, nor was it foreseeable that Farve would commit the #1 cardinal sin of quarterbacking at the worst possible moment (that would be throwing back across the field).

Now that it’s the Saints I’m not sure who to root for, but I’m going to be happy no matter what. It better be a shootout.