Supernatural: Current season, Open spoilers

Meh. The quality of “filler” episodes this season is so good that I’d be perfectly happy if they dropped any pretense of a story arc and just went completely episodic. Just the Winchester brothers, travelling from town to town, huntin’ monsters. Isn’t that the whole point of the series?

I don’t know. We got a taste of that in the first season. And story arcs got us Castiel, Crowley, and Rowena. I would say Charlie, but the producers killed her off, the bastards! :mad:
Anyway, it might work, but I’m so use to story arcs that I would probably feel that something was missing if they stopped.

Cas and Crowley, I’ll give you. But Rowena I absolutely loathe, and Charlie was killed *because *she got pulled into a story arc; before that, she was a wonderful recurring character who shined in standalone episodes. Becoming part of an arc was the worse thing that could happen to her.

It wasn’t even a good story arc that killed Charlie. I thought very little of the whole Stine family thing, especially after having story arcs involving angels and demons, the forces of destiny, and the freaking Apocalypse. I was devastated by Jo and Ellen’s deaths, but at least their deaths meant something: sacrifice, loving others more than yourself, a willingness to fight and die for a better world. Charlie’s death would have been so easily avoidable if she had just gone to a different damned room from Rowena while staying in the same protected building. Or if she had been carrying a weapon of some sort. Or had told the good guys where she was going to be.

Overall, though, I love this show hard and I’ve been very impressed with this season so far. I’m giddy about next week’s show – I’ve been avoiding spoilers, but from the episode title it looks like Chuck will be back and that can only mean good things.

I remember when people were arguing with me about whether that guy was actually God back in the Apocalypse season…

Which side did you argue? When he disappeared at the end of season 5, I figured one possible explanation was that his job of chronicling the Winchester Gospels was finished and he was allowed to go straight to Heaven as his reward for a job well done. When he made his cameo at the end of Fan Fiction, though, I didn’t know if there could be another explanation besides his actually being God.

Well, that was a pretty good episode. Some interesting reveals about God/Chuck. Curtis Armstrong was great as Metatron, and it ended on a good cliffhanger.

My only complaint was the meta self deprecating humor. It just made me roll my eyes.

I am worried that the producers are fond of killing off characters. I would be annoyed if they killed off Chuck. Mainly because they’ve recently killed off Death, Charlie and Cain. Lucifer and Amara are probably goners. I think God should hang around a while longer.

And finally, I have a theory. After God locked the Darkness away he created a lesser version of the Darkness, Death. Think about it. God said that the Darkness always destroyed his creations. Death’s role was to reap his creations. Also, it would explain why Death and the Darkness never met.

This is Death’s first conversation with Dean: Supernatural 5x21 - Dean meets Death - YouTube He says that He is as old as God, maybe older, that neither of them can quite remember. I’d say that there’s a difference between Amara’s destruction and Death’s reaping: what Death reaps is the soul, which then goes on to spend eternity in whichever part of the afterlife it is suited for. Amara has been consuming souls to strengthen herself, but we have no indication that those souls retain their uniqueness after consumption.

I have a theory of my own, though: Amara and Dean are bound together, He can’t hurt her, or at least isn’t able to muster up the will to try to when she’s there with him. She has said that they will always be there to help one another and has in fact taken him out of harm’s way more than once. Her evil fog doesn’t affect him. I think this season might end with the Darkness being locked away again but that Dean will be locked away with her.

And now that God’s out in the open, could someone please please please talk to Him about getting Adam out of the Cage now that Lucifer isn’t even in there anymore?

I really enjoyed this episode, I have to say. Good gracious, they somehow succeeded in making Metatron seem just a bit likeable again, and how major an achievement is that?

Wow. This was the BEST episode… Answered long-standing questions, tied up some plot points, and FINALLY WENT THERE by having God appear.

I think this has surpassed the Musical episode as my favorite Supernatural episode.

Yes, he says that, but maybe God is just letting him think that. Also, if he was around before or at the same time as God, why has he never met the Darkness?
He also said one day he’d reap God. Since God doesn’t have a soul, how would that work?

Edit: I almost forgot,

Excellent theory.

It seems when doesn’t have any power he’s just fine. Power seems to go to his head and quickly corrupt him.

Wow, did Supernatural get better writers? I think this is the best episode so far. Maybe top 5, but I’m thinking number 1 spot here. I missed the first 9 seasons or so, and binge watched, so my memory isn’t a decade old, but even season 1-3 didn’t have much of this quality.

I don’t know if they got a new showrunner this year, but a lot of great decisions were made behind the scenes. Season 11 is the best since the first 5 seasons. Probably better than season 1, making it the 5th best season overall.

I’m really happy.

Ah damn. They kill off Metatron just when started to like him.

Also, Amara’s backstory and motives have changed a few times and that was quite annoying, but other than that I love everything else and next week’s episode looks like it’s going to be awesome.

I apologize for seemingly abandoning this thread. I could’t log in for a while because I am the dum-dum.

Anyways I waited to watch the last two episodes until I could log in and talk about them.
Episode 22:
Thoughts:

Chuck and Lucifer having their chit-chat showdown at the bunker was cool. I’m interested to see if Lucy goes back to being on Chucks side or if he goes back to his old ways.

Misha as Lucy has been brilliant throughout. That man can act.

Chuck and Amara having their little chit-chat battle at the end and Chuck getting all emotional. That was cool. I liked that Chuck said that “creation”/“being” was always there, like him and Amara, and just needed to be brought forth without Amara destroying it, just cuz, cuz that’s what she does.

Amara practically killing Chuck and thus ending reality according to Chuck. Since you need both aspects of him and Amara for it to exist. Thats balls yo.

Episode 23:

Well my first point got answered. Lucy was whisked away to somewhere or outright destroyed.

I thought the idea of a “light bomb” was cool. Reminded me of Doctor Who’s “reality bomb”.

Dean only hesitated for a second before deciding he had to be the bomb to save everyone else was cool.

Amara in the park killing flowers just by touching them and not really liking that and then talking to the old lady about family and that even if you “hate” them you still love them was cool.

Dean talking to Amara about family and how you always choose family harkens back to when Chuck finished up his “Book of Winchester” series and says basically that, “In the end they chose family and isn’t that the whole point.” before Chuck disappears in his whites.

Chuck and Amara getting all chummy and then saying they are going on a break and then Lady Gentlemans Letters showing up and shooting Samantha make me think they are going back to a lesser story arc than “God and The Darkness” next season. It doesn’t seem like they are going back to a monster of the week format but a showdown with the Winchesters and the London Chapter of the Men of Letters. Which can be cool in it’s own right.

I’m thinking they probably won’t get back to the God/Darkness thing until the end of the last season and the show will be all like, “Yeah G&D are cool with Gs creation continuing but you guys have to figure the shit out on your own. We outy”.

You mean Sam, right? Also, didn’t we just hear a gunshot? If we didn’t see it, it’s usually an indication that something else happened. Like someone hiding in the bunker popped out and shot her instead. Or she gave a warning shot.

Yeah. I was just being a goof.

True. And it’s not like they haven’t been shot a million times before and survived. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I’m thinking along the same lines. I’m glad they didn’t drag out the Chuck vs. Amara battle. I don’t like seeing “The Boys” in battles where they don’t know how to fight or kill whatever evil encounter. Taking a few episodes to discover, learn about and destroy something is fine. But the Boys being helpless for very long doesn’t play well and causes some fans (myself included) to start losing interest. I wasn’t a big fan of Season 6 because of the Leviathian story line lasted so long…

I’m very glad that they have been renewed for Season 12 and I hope it isn’t the last one. I also hope that Charlie somehow comes back to life (how many times have Sam & Dean died only to be resurrected)??? She was such a fun character and added a great dynamic to the show…

I’m a season behind. I’ll start binge-watching one of these days soon. That seems to be my thing with this show. I fall further and further behind and then I’ve got a whole season to watch. It’s great when I get to watch last season’s finale and jump right into the next season.

Yeah, she was fun. I wish they would have made her the new Bobby. Not a main focus but around to help out the boys now and then.

I’m a huge fan, but I wonder how much longer the show can go on before they run out of ideas.

As for returning characters, besides wanting to see Charlie resurrected I would love to see Death return. And I wonder why the writers didn’t have God spring Adam/Michael from the cage to make even a brief appearance. I wonder if Jake Able was too busy or if the producers or writers didn’t want to have to deal with his character.