tarpal, I believe a few of us would like a word with you.

Lap Rat, I LOVE it! I finally have a cool sig.

lAp RaT

Enjoy it now, people like you don’t seem to stay around too long.

So do the sheets interfere with your typing? If not, who turns your computer on for you?

:rolleyes:

Naw, they got big ole sleeves on 'em now, we’ve come a long way since plain ole sheets! :smiley:

lAp RaT

I’m surprised the fire from the cross hasn’t melted the keyboard…

I’m surprised they haven’t banned his jerk ass.

Well… Do we have a cite showing a statistical gap between black students and white students? If so, do we have an alternate explanation?

]
He may be a not-so-crypto racist, and he is evidently as happy as pig in poop to let everyone know this in a thread (and its spin offs like this one) that practically invited his “unspeakable” opinion, but why specifically should he be banned?

So long as he is polite and doesn’t use foul language and stays within the wide boundaries of “don’t be a jerk” what has he posted other than an obnoxious, but fairly common place, personal opinion about racial differences that is banworthy?

Do the research, robert. The gap exists. Does the very existence of this gap automatically imply that blacks are smarter than whites?

Studies also show men score higher on SATs than women. Does that automatically imply men are smarter than women unless an alternate explanation can be provided?

How much do you all want to bet that under his white sheet, he’s 1/8 Jewish and 1/4 African American? :slight_smile:

To Stephi: LOL!

My theory was that he was still upset about being thrown off the football team in favour of a black guy who was stronger, faster and smarter.

But I must say I like yours better. Hmmmm… displacement AND reaction formation…I finally have a topic for my psych essay!

(chuckle), you folks really got your PC panties in a bunch I see. I must say I’m enjoying the attention though.

The speculations about my hertitage are amusing, but the truth is that I am your neighbor, Stephi. And yours too Diana and Andrew.

lAp RaT

Isn’t this the very definition of a troll?

Fuck!!

I was gonna lay odds on how long it would take for the “unpopular opinion/PC” cop out bullshit was going to hit the thread.

Money – right in the dumper!

This debacle persuaded me to register.

I think you meant to say “Does the very existence of this gap automatically imply that whites are smarter than blacks?”

To wit, the simple answer is most definately yes. The Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) has long been a standard evaluation of a young person’s fitness to enter college in pursuit of higher educational goals. Originally, it was called the Scholastic Aptitude Test. But today it is Politically Incorrect even to suggest that nature makes some people smarter than others. In order to reflect the new politics, the name was changed. Now we merely “assess” students; we do not measure their “aptitude” or inquire as to how some students can achieve higher scores than others. Heaven forbid that anyone might believe that the races differ in their distributions of mental faculties!

By the way, in case you think that today’s SAT is a difficult test, think again. Click to here to get a sample question. Typically, the college board will choose a question that they have rated “hard” — but is it really? I solved one of them (the questions are changed periodically, BTW) with two applications of the Pythagorean theorem and the answer to another was obvious on inspection. “Hard,” huh? Well, no…
These questions are, for the most part very simple. Yet whites always seem to outscore blacks. To attribute this failure anything to do with socioeconomic conditions or lack of scholastic funding for inner city schools seems fallacious to me since SAT exams only require a basic proficiency in maths, science, English and a willingness to excel in order to be completed to high degrees of accuracy. In other words, they are more of a test of the takers IQ than they are of how well the taker was schooled since the taker doesn’t need much of what he has actually learnt in order to pass the SAT with flying colours. Since one’s IQ doesn’t vary depending on one’s location, dismissing blacks failure on SAT scores (compared to whites) ignores what this test is actually looking for (ie. basic proficiency and a high natural intelligence). You cannot blame low scores on the SAT among our countries ethnic minorities on the conditions they live in or the quality of the teaching they are given since both of these are basically irrelevant to the SAT because the exam is so ridiculously easy!!

There may or may not be an alternate reason why men (in general) do better than women (in general) on the SAT. The fact of the matter, however, is that white men and white women do better than black men and black women. We’re not the only one’s. Blacks are outperformed by Hispanics and Asians alike.

Check out this website for more details.
I would strongly suggest that all of the above does imply that whites are smarter (generally) than blacks. Now, if you have an alternate theory please post it.

My alternate theory is that the theories of anyone who cannot use an apostrophe correcty can be dismissed out of hand.

This is your reasoning? That since the SAT=IQ and since IQ is wired in and immuatable, the quality of an education and socio-economic environment will not affect measured IQ?

Without getting into the basis for these assumptions and the house of cards you are constructing from them, you might have more fun if you posted this point of view as separate thread in the Great Debates forum. There are many there that would glad to discuss this argument with you at length.

Blacks in this country have been through the fucking ringer ever since the first one of them was dragged kicking and screaming onto a slave ship.

And despite the emancipation proclimation and Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement and the whole schpiel, it is unfortunately still true that a black man in this country is still at more of a sociological disadvantage than a white man from the get-go.

My opinion is that that has more of a bearing on “Standardized Tests” scores than skin pigmantation.

Of course it seems fallacious to you because your mindset can’t accept that socioeconomic conditions have a great deal to do with attaining the “basic proficiency” required to do well on the SAT and with having a “willingness to excel.” You are so busy bragging about how simple the test seems to you and getting all empowered because some “heterodox” nutcase got an article published that agrees with your smug, white attitude, you can’t imagine being in circumstances very averse to attaining your “basic proficiency” and “willingness to excel.” Most Himalayan Sherpas probably would probably fail the SAT; does that mean mountain people are inherently less intelligent than American White Males? Let’s send you over to Nepal and set you loose on a mountain and see who’s so smart then.

Huh?

I disagree. The conditions people live in greatly influence how well they will do on standardized tests. Imagine living in an un-airconditioned, un-heated apartment with 4 brothers and sisters, no father, never going on a trip to see the Grand Canyon and broaden your horizons, almost all the kids your age are in gangs, you’re 12 years old and you’re changing the baby’s diapers and cooking dinner because mom’s got to work 2 jobs; from where do you get this desire to excel? From seeing the rich white kid driving the car mom and dad gave him to his comfortable house with computers and encouragement and Sylvan Learning Center, and wanting to be like him? These things are not irrelevant to how a person will score on the SAT.

I’m sure it has nothing to do with culture. :rolleyes:

I would strongly suggest Mr. Jinx learn about this thing called “empathy,” become a little more educated, and stop trying to justify his skewed perceptions.

Would you be my,
could you be my,
won’t you be
my neighbor.