Tasty (but awful-looking!) foods

With a nod to the “World’s-Worst-Sandwich” thread. :slight_smile:
I had some yard customers in Manhattan Beach. One hot summer day, I picked some peaches from a tree in a customer’s back yard that looked pale green. I rinsed the fuzz off it–and bit into it–and oohh, it was good. Sweet, ripe juicy. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Another time, a customer gave me some chicken. (This customer came from Lebanon, but I don’t know that that has any connection with the food.) Anyway, the barbecued chicken had an unappetizing-looking green-and-black sauce on it…But when we heated it up at dinnertime, it was really good. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Post here something that you found tasted much better than it looked.

[major hijack]
Why do people insist on rubbing the absolutely perfect fuzz off peaches??? That is one of the best parts of eating peaches in my opinion! Especially when the peaches are crunchy to boot.
[/major hijack]

Well, I’m gonna reverse it because I just HAVE to share this story.

My brother was travelling in Asia, and he felt a yearning for some good homecountry food. He found what appeared to be a KFC, and was eating his chicken, which he noticed was really crunchy. So he tore off some of the batter and saw an eye looking at him. Apparently, the store was selling chicken heads yuck.

I’d have to go with Ramen Noodles. If you can get past the fact that they strongly resemble a canine with severe intestinal parasitic problems, in both appearance & texture, then they aren’t too bad. Hold the salt, please.

Quick, easy, cheap, and filling:

There’s this hamburger casserole that I make. Got the recipe from my mom, who got it from someone else. Brown some burger, add cooked instant rice, and a can of cream-of-mushroom soup (straight up, not mixed with milk or water). Season it if you like.

That’s it.

It looks kind of, well, like something that just might have already been eaten. But it’s actually quite tasty! :smiley:

Banana cream pie after it’s been in the refrigerator for a few days. The bananas have to reach that particular point where they’re slimy and brown and incredibly tasty.

Not the lime-colored kind you get in a tub at the supermarket. That stuff’s gross.

The real kind you make yourself, preferably using my grandmother’s recipe. It’s a horrid green color, and it’s chunky because you put onions in it and you didn’t mash the avocados too thoroughly, and the red diced tomatoes you put in there clash shockingly with the green. Looks like something you’ve scraped out of a goat’s intestinal cavity. Mmmm. Delicious.

Sounds mouth-watering, Jekeira. :smiley:
Once when my aunt made salad, she added chopped boiled eggs to it. We put the leftover salad in the refrigerator; after a few days the egg white had blue spots. Apparently that’s acid content, that occurs after the egg has sat a few days after boiling. It looked strange, but we ate it–and it was OK. :slight_smile:

Whenever we go to a certain Chinese restaurant, my friend orders the shrimp in lobster sauce. To me, it looks like shrimp in snot sauce. He claims it’s delicious. I’ll take his word for it - I refuse to try it. gak

Actually lobster sauce is quite tasty brachy. Like so many oddball foods it has no lobster whatsoever in it. Instead it is the sauce traditionally served with lobster.

Now as to fugly foods I will nominate the humble oyster. As the old saying goes:

“The first man to eat a raw oyster was either very brave or very hungry.”

As a confirmed oyster gobbler they now have much greater visual appeal than they first did.

Actually, I love the taste of lobster. I might be persuaded to try it is it did have lobster in it, but I just can’t stand the look of that particular dish. stomach lurch

Also, there’s a Finnish dish that my Mom prepares, a sort of fruit soup. She makes it very thin such that you ladle it over a base (rice pudding). When we were in Finland several years ago, it was stiff enough to be served on a platter. Another delicious food that I couldn’t touch.

I am a culinary wuss.