Tell us something odd about your relationship with your significant other

We’re both a little competitive. He was some kind of code-breaker in the Army. I get up earlier. This means I get the paper first, and try to crack the Cryptoquip and/or the Jumble before he gets up. I hate having to take them to him to finish!

I’ve been married almost 28 years and I don’t remember ever having a fight with my spouse.

Yes, we’ve gotten mad at each other and disagreed on things plenty of times. But, we’ve never had a screaming, door slamming, sleep-on-the-couch fight.

From what I hear from friends, this is unusual. But, maybe not. It is anecdotal.

Pookie, is that you?

Edit to add - no, on reading further, my husband wouldn’t have noticed the differences in drawer space in a kitchen. :smiley:

That’s not quite true of me and Mrs. R, but when it’s my turn to pick a movie for date night, I always pick something like Down With Love, whereas she picks things that are more, ah, visceral.

Hey that happened to me once.

Early in our marriage she mumbled “Oh, I love you so much, honey.”

It was late, I was little confused but I replied “I love you too.”

“Quiet!” she yelled. “I wasn’t talking to you!”

My first name is a diminutive of his first name. (Jamie/James). When he was a baby his mother decided to call him by his middle name, but she says she almost called him Jamie instead. I wonder if we would still have dated and married if we had both used the same name?

Married 40 years and we are “Pookie” to each other. It’s “Pook” in more lighthearted moments.

Me too! Who the hell wants to cook when I’ve been out shopping and have all these groceries to put away? I’m exhausted!

I guess what most people consider the oddest thing about my relationship with my husband is that we have sex with other people, but for me, it’s that we have little hand puppet “wuvvies”. They evolved from watching shadow puppet theater in Bali and then going back to our hut and noticing our own shadows on the wall and playing with out hands making shadows. Now we just make laughing, weeping, teasing or kissy faces with our hands. Our wedding rings are their “eyes” (his is one eyes, mind has another eye that’s another ring.) My hand person even gives his hand person Christmas gifts sometimes!

We do our washing completely separate - we even have our own individual laudry baskets and drying racks, and never the twain shall meet.

Us, too. But in her case I think she really isn’t comfortable with it. It’s her way.

Our first and middle names rhyme with each other…AND we’ve known each other since 2nd grade.

That is freakin’ adorable.

My husband does almost all of the chores. Right now he’s doing the dishes. He does them every morning. I do the laundry about 25% of the time. The only chore that I do almost exclusively is take care of the cat, which is an agreement we made when I got him. He is constantly nagging at me to clean up after myself.

Also, we almost always cook separate meals. He is allergic to 13 major food items, including indispensable things like beef, tomatoes, bread, garlic, dairy, chocolate and soy (which is in EVERYTHING.) No way in hell I’m eating his bland shit.

She’s a Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx, I’m a white boy from a small town in the midwest. She still lives in NYC, I still live in the midwest.

In over ten years together, my husband has never said he loves me. I really don’t mind (since he is extraordinarily kind, considerate, and affectionate). I don’t know which is odder–him not saying it or me not minding–but it works for us.

That is pretty funny…:slight_smile:

Oh, this is better than having separate silverware:

My partner and I both live in 3-bedroom houses, next door to each other. We discovered when we were still living in NYC, that we were totally incompatible living together. So when I relocated to Cleveland and took over my parents’ house, he bought the one next door, which just happened to be for sale at the time. We can spend as much time as we want at each other’s house, and there’s no problem; we just can’t ***live ***together.

Oh, man, I want to find someone who will agree to this.

we have our own language.

Huh. We haven’t either. But I like to think of myself as fairly mature and even-tempered, and my wife is too. Plus she’s not afraid to use physical violence in emergency situations, such as when I talk back.

We don’t have anything really unusual. None of the highwire acts, such as open marriages (and I can say with certainty that if my wife ever caught me even trying to have an open marriage, I would be sleeping under that couch).

Hmmm, let’s see. First of all, we hardly ever call each other by our names, unless we’re around other people. I’m the Namja, and she’s the Yoja (Korean for “man” and “woman” respectively, although we give the terms our own special significance). On that note, we don’t even really speak in clear English when we’re on our own. We have our own little language consisting of a bunch of foreign phrases we picked up while serving in Korea, about a ton of South Park terms, because we were both HUGE fans of the show in its day, and just a bunch of things we’ve tacked on over the years, including some Gaelic phrases, because she’s Boston Irish. We started talking this way right after we met in Korea, well before we were even married. The only times I’ve ever heard her call me by my real first name is if she’s rrreeealllly pissed off.

We both do chores around the house, but I always do the dishes and clean the kitchen. I’m not sure if that’s really unusual. I just like doing that stuff my way.

We’re into . . . ummm . . . annoying one another just to get a rise out of each other. I snap her bra, and she waits until I’m almost asleep and then starts tickling me and giving me wet willies. Also, I like telling corny jokes just to see the look on her face. This board has given me some of the worst jokes and puns I’ve ever come across, and I really want to thank you all for that.

I like to joke around with her about how I’m going to trade her in for a newer model someday (She’s five years older than I am.). She’ll listen to it very politely and then smile tell me the same thing about how she’s an Irish Catholic, and Irish Catholic women don’t get divorced. They get widowed with extreme prejudice. I’m not sure she’s even kidding.

Well, that’s it. Compared to you guys, we’re pretty tame and boring.

So, if you are setting the table to sit down and eat dinner together, do you take one set from his drawer and then walk over and get another set from your drawer?

And how does an ice-cream spoon differ from, say, a teaspooon, a soup spoon or an iced-teaspoon (the one with the long handle and teaspoon-sized bowl)?