Terryobrien's Banning

Why was** Terry O’ Brien** banned exactly? Does anyone have a link to his banning post? He might have been the Catholic version of me. :frowning:

Apparently he asked to have his account removed, and when he was informed they don’t do that, he stated that he would troll the hell out of the place – suicide by mod. (I can’t find the exact post)

Found it

So far, you have been significantly more polite than he. Other comparisons might result in closer results.

As noted, however, he explicitly stated in private communication that if we would not remove his name from the board, he was going to see how many violations he could manage in as short a time as he could. His violations of rules were not particularly amusing, or even significant, but since he appeared to be carrying out his threat, we granted his wish to be unable to post.

(Of course, his name has not been removed from the rolls, so he lost on that point, but he did succeed in getting his posting privileges revoked.)

I thought you could ASK for a banning – well, not a banning exactly, but say, “could you suspend my account for the time being” or whatever? Or did he just want to be “disappeared?”

(BTW, if you google his handle, he’s been banned from a Catholic forum – though it doesn’t say the reason. And it looks like he likes to troll Christian boards and annoy people.)

Interesting. The thing he was warned about–repeatedly–was copying and pasting entire copyrighted tracts into his posts, and I assumed that was the specific reason for his banning. (Plain old obnoxious behavior could sink most any of us.)

Why can’t posters have their accounts voluntarily suspended? I personally wouldn’t want this, but on the surface it seems like a reasonable request.

They can; although rare, it’s been done. What they can’t do is remove their history.

It might help the OP to keep in mind that the poster in question was a member of the board for about a day.

Also if you read the original message, he didn’t just want to be banned, he wanted his account deleted. Well he got half of his wish…
(Kylie Minogue and Christina Hendricks in my bed for Valentines. Please, please. 50%, that’s all I’m asking.)

I thought you were the Catholic version of you.

I am Presbyterian.

Have mercy. Are you a splinter group? I thought the Presbies have gotten more liberal over the past few decades since I grew up in the church. :confused:

Our church is loosely affiliated with this denomination of Presbyterians which I suppose you can call splinter (there are at least half a dozen or so notable Presbyterian denominations in the US). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian_Church_in_America

Interesting link. Yep, PCA would be considered a splinter group by the standards of the church I grew up in. I guess the ordination of women in the 1970’s caused that final spinter, no? From your wiki link, the PCA does not acknowledge the ordination of women as teaching elders (pastors), ruling elders, or deacons.

Well, that would help explain some of your beliefs. Then again, I’m an apostate from ordained ministerial stock. My missionary mother would certainly make your head spin on the ordination of women issue. :wink:

Reason enough right there. Oh snaps! Kidding, Curtis, I make ha-ha.

Ah, thanks, Guin. I thought they banned him because he was irritating everybody.

First they came for the trolls, and I said nothing…because, frankly, fuck trolls!

Curtis, you don’t even come close to this guy. I think you retain the possibility of learning something and changing your mind, terry starts with the proposition that he alone possesses ultimate wisdom and the rest of us should ask him politely how to live our lives.

Damn Benedict XVI, doesnt he have better things to do than to come trolling on our sacred Board?

[/QUOTE]
a splinter group by the standards of the church I grew up in. I guess the ordination of women in the 1970’s caused that final spinter, no? From your wiki link, the PCA does not acknowledge the ordination of women as teaching elders (pastors), ruling elders, or deacons.
[/QUOTE]

Partially although another reason was that the people felt the church wasn’t strongly reaffirming the doctrinal standards in the Westminster Confession of Faith.

BTW is that where you get the name China Guy? Was your mother a missionary in China?

This is getting a little far afield of the original intent of this thread – it’s not ATMB and it’s not about the guy that got banned anymore.

Can you please take this conversation to another thread where you can discuss this at length properly? Thanks.

Oh, and FTR – anyone can ask for a “posting sabbatical” – you can’t make postings during that time until you ask to be reinstated. (If you are a Member the clock still runs, though, sorry.)

People who have asked for these sabbaticals have traditionally been in the middle of a project or going through a period where it’s just not a good idea for them to be spending time posting or they need to be focused on something else – a deadline, job pressures, school, etc.,

Sometimes people take a sabbatical as a “cooling off” period to gain perspective/calm down.

This is never a problem and we’re happy to help people as needed.