Mmmm. Dough…nuts.

And Sam! A fine combo!

For sure!

(now practicing quoting)

For sure!

More practice

Practice makes perfect

Hmmmmm

Quotes are appearing, then disappearing for me.

ETA: Seems to happen only when I quote myself.

Discourse has a feature where if you quote the entirety of the immediately preceding post (no matter who wrote it), they’ll edit your post to remove all the quoted text.

The design assumption is that since you’re relying to what’s just above, readers can see that’s what you’re doing and don’t need to have that post’s text repeated twice in immediate succession. This behavior is real controversial among SDMB members. But we’re stuck with it.

This auto-edit only occurs if you quote the entire post. So leaving part of it off works as you’d expect.

This is me quoting only a piece of the immediately previous post. Since it’s just a piece, Discourse leaves it in place.

I’ve found a workaround for quoting the whole post before mine: type your reply and post it, click on “reply” at the post you want to quote, click on the bubble on the upper left to show the original post, copy the post including the quote tags, cancel out of the post, click on edit in your reply and paste the quoted post above your own reply and confirm the edit. A bit clumsy, but it works.

Good find.

If the post you’re quoting is one such as yours that begins with an even earlier quote, your workaround isn’t 100% necessary.

If the earlier quote isn’t required for what you intend to write, just select only the author’s text of the prior post, not the embedded quote. As I did here: I selected your text but not mine then clicked the Reply button of your post. Clicking the "Quote popup button would have worked as well.

My trick is really just a special case of making a partial quote of the prior post vs. making a complete quote. Your workaround is almost certainly the only way to get a true verbatim quote of 100% of the immediately prior post.

[quote=“LSLGuy, post:13, topic:925570, full:true”]

Good find.

If the post you’re quoting is one such as yours that begins with an even earlier quote, your workaround isn’t 100% necessary.

If the earlier quote isn’t required for what you intend to write, just select only the author’s text of the prior post, not the embedded quote. As I did here: I selected your text but not mine then clicked the Reply button of your post. Clicking the "Quote popup button would have worked as well.

My trick is really just a special case of making a partial quote of the prior post vs. making a complete quote. Your workaround…[/quote]

Interesting info, still experimenting here.

Starting with a clean slate here.

[quote=“Mean_Mr.Mustard, post:15, topic:925570, full:true”]
Starting with a clean slate…[/quote]

Running more testes. :slight_smile:

ETA: OK, why did the above quote not appear in a quote box?

The [quote=“blabla blah”] start tag must be on a line by itself with no other text or leading spaces.

The [\quote] end tag must be on a line by itself with no other text or leading spaces.

So this works:

But this does not: [quote=“Mean_Mr.Mustard, post:15, topic:925570, full:true”]
Starting with a clean slate here.[/quote]

Discourse is sorta smarter than vBulletin and sorta dumber. We used to try to put the quote tags inline with the text because otherwise vBulletin put extra blank lines above and below the quote. Discourse is smart enough not to do that. But instead it’s dumb enough to need the quote tags on separate lines. Sigh. It’s always something.

Thanks so much LSLGuy!

This works (I think):

This does not (I think):

[quote=“Mean_Mr.Mustard, post:18, topic:925570, full:true”]
Thanks so much LSLGuy![/quote]

By George, I think he’s got it!