The American Coup Fallout thread

I feel the same way – and not just about him, but anyone tainted by association. As the real crimes of his administration start to come to light and be prosecuted, anyone who worked for, supported or even spoke well of Individual One will see their political futures wither. (Lookin’ at you, Nikki Haley.)

They failed to observe that trump has never shown loyalty to ANYONE outside of his immediate family-- and I’m sure if he perceived betrayal from any of them, under the bus they’d go.

These dudes incorrectly thought that trump was their commander, someone who was loyal to his people like a real commander would be. But in trump-world, trump is the only one who matters, heck, the only one who exists.

He has already forgotten about them.

there have been reports that trump is angry about the “hostage” videos his advisors and staff told him to do. that he felt it betrayed his people.

looks like his advisors convinced him that certain pardons would rain down criminal charges on him. now his people are having charges rain on them.

trump will all ways save himself first. he will step on you on the way to the lifeboat.

I love it!

I’m still going with Cuckoo Coup. It doesn’t scan that well in writing, but it’s fun to say out loud.

I think Trump’s failure to support or pardon the insurrectionists went a long way towards defusing the time bomb. They were certainly acting as if they expected a pardon. As did people involved in the earlier aspects of the coup attempt, namely, the people that filed false affidavits and frivolous lawsuits in order to perpetuate their fraud.

There’s another dude that’s probably freaking out today, the postal worker that, through Project Veritas, made a claim to have witnessed fraud. The guy that recanted when interviewed by trained federal agents but went on to “recant the recant” and crowdfund a whole lot of money.

He was certainly acting like he expected a pardon ( especially since the federal agents made it crystal clear how much trouble he’d be in if he raised money off the fraud). And Trump did retweet some article about him, calling him a brave whistleblower.

I think there’s a chance some of these insurrectionists could be so locked into their delusions that they may be a continuing source of trouble, a new American ISIS. Maybe. But maybe not.

I have some familiarity with the militia groups, and I know they are comprised of deeply religious men. I have some familiarity with the evangelical/ fundamentalist groups. But I haven’t found any publicly available information as to which churches are linked to these groups.

There’s a wide range of belief within the evangelical/ fundamentalist communities. At one end of the spectrum you have insular communities with rigid beliefs that often involve an end times theology combined with disdain for the secular world and the laws of man. At the other end you have a transactional prosperity gospel evangelicalism, with a theology of “you give stuff to God (by giving to your church) and God will reward you. God likes you best.

And you have churches that are some combination of the two.

If any of these militia groups are linked with the more fundamentalist churches, like the IFB, we may have a problem because they may be true believers with a mission. If they are linked to the more transactional groups, they’re probably done with Trump because he can’t give them things anymore.

I hate doing “wait and see”, but that’s where I am right now.

I too have used this on a different forum. It just rolls off the tongue… :grinning:

That was my last big worry in the closing few days of the clusterfuck.

I dunno where this one properly belongs, but …

For those who’ve been watching along with Beau of the Fifth Column, I think he hit this latest one out of the park. Less than seven minutes. Worth the time, IMHO:

ETA: Mods: if there’s a better place for this, please feel free to move it. TY!

Proud Boy leader claims he was only in the Capitol building to use the bathroom.

That’s a shitty excuse.

Prosecutors are too smart to take the piss like that.

Have any actual charges been brought against him for this yet?

Agreed. Helluva twist at the end.

Everyone else there apparently just shat on the floor.

He does that fairly often.

Yeah, I follow Beau. But I didn’t see that one coming.

I’m going to post this in this thread, even though it’s about Trump, because it’s fallout from the coup attempt, but not impeachment, and I don’t know where else to put it.

The WP has a great article about Trump’s financial woes, made far worse by the Capitol riot, because nobody wants to be seen doing business with him any more.

Financial disclosure forms, filed by the former president as he left office, revealed that his hotels, resorts and other properties had lost more than $120 million in revenue last year, as the pandemic forced long-term closures and kept customers home.

“We no longer have any depository relationship with him,” said a spokesperson for BankUnited, a Florida-based bank … The decision meant that, since the attack on the Capitol, Trump had lost three of the four banks that held his largest deposits. Signature Bank and Professional Bank cut their ties earlier this month. The fourth bank, Capital One, has declined to comment.

Also Thursday, Trump lost one of his best-known law firms: Morgan Lewis, which has represented Trump on tax issues since before he ran for office. …

The decision by Morgan Lewis marked at least two law firms that have cut ties with Trump’s company since Jan. 6. The first, Seyfarth Shaw, announced its decision last week.

This week, the news site American Lawyer reported that a third firm, Alston & Bird, was also ending its work with Trump’s company. Alston & Bird declined to answer questions from The Washington Post.

In the immediate wake of the attack on the Capitol, the Trump Organization lost two of its real estate brokers, its e-commerce vendor, its chance to host the 2022 PGA Championship golf tournament, and its hopes of hosting another golf tournament, the British Open. Also, New York City said it will end the Trump Organization’s contracts to run a carousel, two ice rinks and a golf course in city parks — contracts that brought the Trump Organization $18 million in 2019.

Elsewhere, two major tenants in Trump’s office building on Wall Street, the Girl Scouts of Greater New York and a tuberculosis-fighting charity called the TB Alliance, said they were seeking to leave the building.

“The Storming of the Non-Steal”

The Election Rejection Insurrection.

“He regrets very very much having…just been duped by the President,” said Al Watkins, attorney for Jacob Chansley also known as the ‘Qanon Shaman’

The phrase “Who is more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” comes to mind here.

That’s why I was somewhat surprised he didn’t pardon them. His lawyers must have really sold him on the inevitability of criminal charges in some court, somewhere. Trump is going to learn the hard way that you can’t be a half-assed gangster: if you’re gonna mob, then go all the way.