The Chip Kelly Experiment

Well, the uptempo play he championed actually worked really well. As this article on 538 notes, Kelly’s issue was not that his broader commitment to fast play was ill-conceived, but rather that he was terrible at so many other aspects of his job. So, I don’t think the blur offense is done, especially since Kelley will likely get another NFL job if he desires one, but I do think people will be less desirous to completely hand over the keys to someone with an unorthodoxed style like his.

It largely didn’t fail when it was executed.

[quote=“DCnDC, post:2, topic:741831”]

[li]The man insisted on running practice at full game speed, and didn’t correct anything while on the field.[/li][/QUOTE]

Well, I think he was desirous to practice at game speed in order to work on player endurance. Football players are often don’t have the endurance to play at that speed, and are often not as committed to training as some other athletes.

[li]His offensive playbook is extremely simple, exceedingly predictable, and incredibly easy to stop once they didn’t have Vick, McCoy, DJax, and Maclin running it.[/li][/QUOTE]

True, but this largely highlights his failures as a GM. Obviously getting rid of most of your best skill players is going to be detrimental.

[li]He thought he could plug anyone in anywhere and still succeed because he believes his system and running it perfectly is more important than talent.[/li][/QUOTE]

To be fair, most coaches think that, and they are largely correct. Most notably, running backs are basically interchangeable at this point. This year, there will likely be eight 1000-yard rushers. There were 17 and 16 in 2010 and 2005 respectively. Even anecdotally, look at how seamlessly Pittsburgh replaced Bell (easily a top 3 RB) with Williams (a largely washed up RB). Or Seattle replacing Lynch with Rawls, or Denver with Hillman taking over for Anderson. Obviously there was some dropoff, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Other positions see the same marginal “WAR” after you exclude a few standout superstars. Just look at how the TE position can essentially be played by washed up basketball players with almost no football experience (eg. Antonio Gates, Julius Thomas), or how many WRs with a good QB are overvalued.

I think there is a growing realization that football has become so situational and specialized that raw talent has an outsized effect in numerous positions. Obviously, you will always have your superstars, but there seems to be little actual differences between players in vast middle ground of talent.

Why do you think ToP is so important if your offense is effective?

Exactly. I think people forget Kelly went 20-12 in his first two seasons. That’s about the same record as the Packers, Steelers, and Panthers during that time period.

What’s being overlooked is the team missed the playoffs in his second and third season. So a 10-6 record doesn;t mean anything if the team is not in the playoffs. The only thing that stood out to the owner is the team missed the playoffs not that they had a 10-6 record. Plus they were 9-3 after Thanksgiving Day and went 1-3 in the last 4 games.

This year aside due to injury, but Andrew Luck should be listed as a franchise QB. And Romo most definitely should not be on this list.

Really? The team went 0-7 without Romo and 3-1 with him as the starter.

Yeah, but you’re just looking at one year. If you want to break it down like that, fine, but you can’t call him a franchise QB, and then only look at the stats from one season. Romo seems to have a problem with a few different aspects of the game:

1. Staying healthy

2. Anything that requires him to move out of the pocket. If he gets the chance to stand there, he’s serviceable. If he has to move, his balsa wood skeleton and paper mache joints seriously hinder him.

3. He panics in the 4th quarter, and tries to do too much. Usually with disastrous results. That’s when he tends to fumble snaps or throw into double coverage, and turn the ball over.

4. He has a career record of something like 8 postseason appearances, and one win. I know that it’s a team game. He can’t do it all. But he’s not even bringing his team in with a chance to win. Sometimes, I actually wonder if he was hired by the Redskins to bring the Cowboys down from inside.

He has 2 wins they won last year vs the Lions in the wildcard game

I don’t think it hurt that the Eagles had the 30th easiest schedule in 2013 and the 19th easiest in 2014.

I also think that Kelly’s personality type, inability to deal with non-college athletes, and need for unbridled power were big reasons he’s out of a job in Philadelphia. And I don’t think those will get much better for him.

My mistake on shorting him one win. Thanks for the correction. But 2 wins in the postseason gets Romo mentioned as a franchise QB, yet Luck, who took the Colts to 2 division titles and 3 postseason appearances in his first 3 seasons, and already has more wins in the postseason (3) since he came into the league in 2012 than Romo has (2) since 2006, isn’t considered a franchise QB?

In what world are Fitzpatrick and Romo franchise QBs, and Wilson, Luck, E. Manning, and Brees aren’t? Hell, if you include the former, you probably need to include guys like Stafford and Ryan too.

True, but so did plenty of other teams. Injuries hurt him as well. That said, I understand why he was fired.

I agree, although I suppose anyone can change. But I think he has more of an uphill battle given the claims made by former players of him Having issues with black people.

This.

I was sleepy last night, I forgot Wilson and Brees. Luck doesn’t impress me

Eagle fan here. I hope the door hit his ass on the way out.

The better news will come Monday or Tuesday when the sad sack Bill Davis will be fired.

I would be stunned if Davis is still employed after the way the defense gave up pts the last 2 years

Wait, running ability is your main criteria and Russell “2 SB appearances” Wilson doesn’t make the list over Tony “chokes like a dog” Romo?

I forgot russell wilson.

As an Oregon guy I am sorry to see him fail and wish him well on his next job. OTOH now I don’t have to half-root for the Eagles, so that’s good. To the OP, no, I do not think this means that no NFL team will ever hire a coach regarded as innovative again.

Tennessee has a franchise QB, now all they need is a franchise.

Today’s players would never buy in to the Lombardi method of coaching. Too many big egos and prima donnas. And Vince wouldn’t be able to work with them for long before his blood pressure blew a vain in his head and launched his skull cap through the acoustic tiles over his desk.

I think the ideal NFL job for Kelly would be offensive coordinator under a strong defensive-minded head coach*. He’d have near-autonomy on that side of the ball, but there would still be someone to rein him in before he goes off the rails. Plus, there would be no risk of him making stupid personnel moves. Of course, I can’t imagine him taking that kind of demotion. He’ll get another chance as an NFL head coach (only, no GM duties) if he wants it… but he’ll also have his pick of the open college jobs. Will he want to give the NFL another shot?
*It would be interesting to see him paired with Rex Ryan in Buffalo, especially with Tyrod Taylor and Sammy Watkins (since this is pure fantasy, we’ll pretend the LeSean McCoy situation doesn’t exist). Kelly could help Ryan on the offensive side of the ball (where hes always looked lost), and Ryan could help Kelly with his relationship with players. It’ll never happen, but I think it’d be a good combo.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has bounced around the league like a pinball. Franchise quarterback? Certainly not. But a very good one in the right situation.

As for Romo, I like to bag on him as much as anyone else, but his career stats bear out that he’s a guy that any team would be happy to have under center. The Cowboys’ inability to do anything in the postseason has more to do with Jerruh and the incompetence in the front office than anything else.

Anyway, Chip Kelly failed because like any “innovation”, the teams adapted to it. He also neglected the defense, which was a big mistake because they were the unit on the field for most of the game. His offensive approach allowed no extended time of possession and the defense paid for it.