The Chip Kelly Experiment

Well rookie Jordan Hicks was a good draft pick who ended Romo’s season and performed at a high level until he was injured.

Hah! Tony Romo would either break something or have a freaking seizure if they asked him to actually run the ball, or do anything other than be a shitty imitation of Dan Marino in his last 3 years in the NFL.

The Cowboys should have put his gimpy ass out to pasture a while ago, and concentrated on getting a younger marquee quarterback.

His only problem is allowing a 300 pound man to fall on top of him instead of just quickly falling to the ground or throwing the ball away

I agree Chip Kelly didn’t do the Eagles no favors, but I don’t think it has to take years.

Sam Bradford, who the Eagles MUST sign, can be a very good QB just not in the Chip Kelly read option system. A smart coach will design blocking schemes that will allow him to throw. (Nick Foles was benched this year, though it is a bite in the ass the Eagles gave up a 2nd round pick).

DeMarco Murray is a great straight ahead runner; Chip tried to make him a power sweep runner, and that not his forte. A smart coach will design plays for him, too.

Three areas of need: secondary (decimated by injuries----lets hope they can come back); offensive line (corrected through draft, letting Evan Mathis go, was a mistake) and I will concede letting Desean Jackson go was a huge mistake, but free agency can bolster the receiving corps.

If the Eagles cant resign Bradford, I agree they are screwed and have to draft a QB and that can set them back years. But if they can resign him, I cant guarantee they will make the playoffs in 2016, but with a little retooling they can contend 2017.

Chips mistake was signing Bradford and Murray and trying to screw them into an Oregon Duck offense. I feel this team has a chance to perform well under a traditional offensive coach.

The next coach should get 4 years at minimum to turn the eagles around. what is Lurie going to do fire another coach in 2 years if they miss the playoffs next season and the season after?

I thought the consensus was that the jury is still out on Coach Chip Kelly – he’s a smart guy, and while some innovations that work in college won’t work in the pros, there’s still a whole lot of room in the NFL to succeed by finding weaknesses in conventional thinking (see Belicheck), and the schemes he installed showed at least potential to succeed (though clearly not enough to succeed regardless of talent).
However, GM Kelley was an unmitigated disaster of pitiful horrendousness, completely dooming any chance Coach Kelly had of succeeding.
If I were an owner, and didn’t have Belicheck,Carrol or I don’t know maybe two or three others, I’d certainly at least interview him for a HC job, to see if he learned enough from his Eagles experience to have the potential to do better. Of course I’d refuse to let him have anything other than advisory power on personnel decisions – of course, one of the lessons he would need to have learned before I hired him is that he was terrible at it.

Heard the Niners are trying to get Kelly now.

Sorry… I’m just not a Romo fan. He’s a perfectly decent throwing quarterback, who is pretty long in the tooth these days. My main gripe with him is that he seems to have non-existent field leadership and inspirational qualities, and outside of his first few games after Bledsoe got benched, he seems to snatch defeat from victory more than the other way around.

As a Seahawks fan, I’m quite interested in this possibility. He managed to ride a fairly well-put together Eagles franchise into the ground. I wonder what he can do for an already-decimated Niners team.

If he starts every game next season and the cowboys miss the playoffs, then I can’t back him anymore as a franchise QB

I think Chip Kelly can be a good NFL coach, but he’s not a personnel guy. He did win 10 games in each of his first two seasons, no small feat. This year was a bust because he made bad roster decisions and really boxed himself in with his QB. And honestly, Sam Bradford was not a complete disaster when healthy, which was always the concern.

I would have given him another year. If not for the stretch of a couple ass kickings to the likes of Detroit and Tampa Bay and a loss to Maimi, all while Mark Sanchez had to take the reigns at QB, the Eagles might have won their division. But alas, a lot of what-ifs and coulda, shoulda doesn’t amount to much in the NFL.

The eagles might have won the division with Romo returning and a new and improved skins team with a new QB in Cousins?

Would you have given him another year with full control of the roster, though? He put the team in such a bad position in just one year that there’s no way I’d give him another one, and it’s hard to bring in a good GM if you’re not going to let him choose his own coach.

I’d be willing to bet serious money that he won’t last an entire season next year. He’ll get busted up one way or another, probably in his back some way.

You mean like he did in 2013, 2012, and 2011?

well that;s why I said if he missed the playoffs again as a starter of every game I’m done with him

Fool me 5 times…

At this point I definitely don’t see Romo as a HOFER. But that can change in 3 years