The days are getting longer in the MMP

Well, poop. Just made an appointment with the orthopedist to check out the girl’s wrist. It’s been hurting for a couple of weeks, she doesn’t remember having injured it, but apparently it’s not getting better. I’m not sure whether to hope for a break or not. If it’s a break, it’s easier to fix, but she won’t be able to swim like she wants to for a while. If it’s a sprain, it doesn’t require a cast (usually), but it’s a more complicated healing process. Of course it’s the same wrist she broke two years ago, so either option could mean surgery. It’d be amazing to stop testing our health insurance like this.

The countdown to the big move is on. The kids were here last week vacationing and doing the tourist things. They had to go back for an inspection on a house she is selling but they will be back later tonight. We pick up the u haul trailer on Wed and load it early Thursday morning and skedaddle. I have the maid lined up to do a final clean that day. I will be homeless for one night as new house doesn’t close until Friday. I am very worried about traveling with my cat.

Today at 1PM all the close neighbor ladies are getting together next door to see me off.

I went back to orthopedic dr last week and foot/ leg is still not healed enough. He told me to stay off it for 4 more weeks. I’m gonna lose my damn mind. I watched ALL the Olympics, some twice. Once I get into my new house then I can watch the Paralympics. The unboxing will have to wait. I’ve been surviving with minimal stuff already for two months.

Have a great new week everyone.

I uh dated a 19 year old when I was 29. He was like the ever ready bunny, always ready and wanting to go. The memory still brings a contented leer to my face, but within a week he had fallen in love with me and was planning our future together. When I explained that I wasn’t ready to settle down (after we had been dating for two weeks), his heart was broken with all the teen aged angst a 19 year old can channel. Not worth it, didn’t do it again.

It’s obvious you is smarter than me, shoe!!!

It’s good that you are busy again Van Go, how’s your hand doing?

That sucks. I was down for 6 weeks once and it was horrible, I cannot imagine how awful this is for you, especially during a move. You have much sympathy!

Is that what the kids these days are calling it?

This is technically correct. :grin:

:owl:

We’re going to need more smelling salts and fainting couches in this thread…

In other news, the exhaust just fell off my car on the way back from the shops -_-

{ facepalm }

Oh crap, sorry to hear that nut!

unknown The hand is doing better, I think working more and using it is helping, but the pinky and ring finger are still a little numb. Kinda feels like I slept on my hand, but all the time.

doggio Not that kind of pot…lol

Very worried about what Czar Dobby (aka Putin) is going to do next, and hoping we’re not heading into WWIII. Yes, I’m neurotic and worse than I was 3 years ago. Those three years have been a helluva decade.

On the plus side, I’m currently happily ingesting a Shamrock Shake, and Jack in the Box has their fish sandwich available starting Thursday (got that from a very nice counter lady at the JitB DH and I had lunch at during an erranding excursion last week.

Sleep “cycle” is utterly random this week, which is a difficulty.

Happy Moonday!

Was a not so bad, 30 degrees, at the park this morning. It’s in the 60s outside now.
The 3-pack was there before us. I don’t know what got into Ripple. He slammed into Wookie and chased him half way across the park. Then he came back and ran off Lefty.
I think he was playing.

No Barky as Barky mom is pet sitting two other dogs and she isn’t sure she could handle four dogs at the park. We are invited over.

However, I was this morning’s drama. A new dog was coming in as we were going out and my dogs took off to greet the new dog and, even though I thought I was prepared for it, I ended up face down on the sidewalk.

My knee hurts, and is stiff, swollen, and bruised.
I was sure there would be blood, but no blood.
I had a hell of a time getting back up because of my knee.
I’ll live.

The rest of the day hasn’t gone much smoother.

Best wishes for the move! It sounds like it’s all organized, but moving is always a giant PITA. Safe travels.

< snerk >

:confused:

Nettie I’m fairly confident that NATO et al. will let Putin do exactly what he wants to do and poor Ukraine will soon be part of the USSR, I mean Russia, again. No need to worry about WWIII.

Sari I’m sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you heal up as quickly as possible. I can imagine that the knee might make getting into the truck hard.

We might get rain tonight and tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I have to go nag 'Beamer about his eye drops and then I might head back to bed for a while. The pressure changes wreak merry hell on my head. I’ll take the migraine if we get sky water though. :slight_smile:

Still no word from the insurance company, whether they’ll pay to replace the catalytic converter or total the car.

I went down to the shop and took everything out of the car – including the Weathertech floor mats (but not including the doughnut spare or the jack). I did make sure to take the cargo net.

The shop owner said the reason it would cost over $4,500 to replace the converter is because it’s California-certified. He said he’d open himself up to liability with the insurance company if someone tried to register the car in California with a non-certified converter. He said that if the insurance company totals the car, I might be able to retain it for a few hundred dollars. He said that if I paid for a new converter, he could put a non-California certified one in for about $2,000. It will work and it wouldn’t trigger warning lights; it just can’t be registered in California.

If they total the car, will I still be able to insure it?

Good afternoon, all. Long time, no post. January and February are low periods for me, but the days are getting longer and warmer, so I can get outside and that helps… until pollen season.

We got a treadmill last week, so we have lost the “but it’s raining” excuse. It is surprisingly quiet. I was able to run on it Friday, and Mrs Magill did not hear a thing. The boys are also getting on it, so they’re finally moving again.

My sister just called me. She had taken our parents on a tour for the Independent Living Community they’ve had their eye on. Covid lockdown has not been kind to them. They had stopped moving around so much. Mother had to be pushed in a wheelchair for the tour, and Sister thinks that had hit home for her. Father will be able to continue with his HAM club. There is a balcony where he can set up his antenna. He was happy about that. HAM is his passion, and therefore his ability to continue is a “need to have” not a “nice to have.” They are warming up to the idea of moving in the next year, which is a huge relief to Sister and me. Not that Brother has not been doing a great job taking care of them, but between them, his business, and that big-assed house that really needs some work done to remain habitable, He can’t keep up. Besides, we all know Sister is the responsible adult in Raleigh.

Mrs Magill and the boys are off today, so she took them out for lunch. Squeaky saw the new teriyaki grill next door to the Aldi, so he and his mother split some teriyaki chicken, but Spike wanted (not so) hot wings from the local joint. She also grabbed some buffalo sauce, so I had a nice lunch waiting for me after my run.

*pearls clutched

Call and ask? I’d be tempted to just pay for the converter for the $2000. If it passes smog, should you ever want to register in CA, I don’t see what the problem would be.

First up - Good to see you!
Second - ask about their disease protocols. My MiL’s facility ended up on lock down repeatedly for norovirus, and then COVID. They were restricted to their rooms and staff brought them their meals. I think it was a large factor in my MiL’s decline. She needed social interaction and didn’t get it. Also, staff was overwhelmed, so she couldn’t get help in her room when she needed it. Just something to check on.

Sister is a middle school principal. She made sure to ask all the right questions. See the “functional adult” reference above. The dining room is still closed, but there are social activities and exercise classes - all masked.

You will still be required to have liability, but you probably won’t be able to buy collision because the car will not have a Totaled Title.

If the car is otherwise sound, this might be your best option. You won’t get the full amount the insurance would otherwise pay you because they could have sold it for scrap, but you will probably get the two grand the garage wants for a not-Calif converter.

It does seem to be a viable option. $2,000 for the new cat, ‘a few hundred’ for owner-retention of the car, and a little over $200 for a catalytic converter shield ($160 plus tax, and maybe $60 installation). That might give me some breathing room to look for a newer car. (There’s a 2010 Prius with 141,000 miles for $8,650, and another with 106,000 miles for $9,925. There’s a 2011 with no stated mileage from a dealer for $9,995.)

FWIW, I had the hybrid battery refurbished about four years ago for $1,500. Last month I replaced both headlamps. At $160 each plus tax, that was $350. In November (I think) I bought four new tires, so that was about $300 or $400. On the downside, it has over 300,000 miles on it (the odometer stopped counting at 299,999 – I have to use Trip B to know when to change the oil; which I did about 1,600 miles ago), and the windshield needs to be replaced ($270).

Oh – Electrical issues with the Jeep. Sometimes the dashboard turn signal indicator lights don’t work. The turn signals do, but the dash indicators don’t. Sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s the other, and sometimes it’s both. I have an idea that it’s related to a low battery condition. I’ve noticed when I use the door lock function on the fob, the horn sounds weak. The good news is that the dash indicators have been working for a while. The Jeep was used a lot the last couple of months. But…

Last week the automatic door locks stopped working; both with the fob, and with the switch on the driver’s door. I tried locking and unlocking all of the doors (and the hatch) manually, but the automatic lock/unlock still didn’t work. I mentioned it to the guy at the shop today, when I was cleaning out the Prius. He suggested I try using the passenger-side automatic lock/unlock switch. I did, and it worked. Now the driver’s side switch and the fob button are working again too.

Wow - that seemed to sneak up… well maybe not to you, but I lost track of time there. I hope the new place is everything you want it to be and you get settled in quickly. To me the worst part of a move is figuring out where everything should go in the kitchen! Good luck with that! :wink:

FCD got a ladder at the boat junk store in Annapolis - it’s going to be mounted so we can climb down into the engine room, and more importantly, climb out again! He’s so antsy to start working on it - I wish we’d brought it back here right after we bought it. Oh well…

I’ve got Toby for the rest of the week. SIL has an appt with his cardiologist on Weds and it’s a ways up the road. This is all to clear him for his much-delayed knee surgery. So no break for me till Saturday. Oh well… Chillage ensues tonight.

Miss Owl - this dashing in and out is unsatisfactory. You must stay and chat, dammit!!!