The Dropping Out Thread

Rand Paul to suspend campaign according to a CNBC news flash. I’ll assume that means he wouldn’t make the main stage in the next debate

Or maybe it means he’s running out of money.

It is a bit surprising. He placed fifth in a field of twelve, earned a genuine national-convention delegate. New Hampshire should have been better ground for him. He said just yesterday he was pushing on.

Maybe the money told him he should concentrate on re-election.

According to Politico he was polling in 9th place in New Hampshire. Cite: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/rand-paul-dropping-out-of-white-house-race-218675

Down goes Rand!

I figured he’d at least hang in there until Tuesday. I really don’t get it - if you’ve been campaigning for a year or close to it, why would you throw in the towel with 6 days to go before the primary where you’ve got your best shot?

Unless his donors are telling him that if he wants money for his Senate campaign, he needs to step down now so his supporters can choose Rubio in NH. This is obviously a total WAG based on zero inside knowledge, but maybe the GOP Establishment, such as it is, has finally decided to not only get behind Rubio but play a little hardball to smooth his path.

I never cared for Rand, but I must admit that he was one of the more reasonable candidates. Perhaps that is the reason he is out, writing on the wall and all.

Seems you really do need in-your-face Christian evangelism and it’s oxymoronic counterparts xenophobia, and love of war and killing in order to be a successful Republican candidate.

Ah, now I have the word. Paul is out of the presidential race because a Democratic challenger has arisen for his Senate seat.

Here’s the criteria for the next debate. ABC News announces criteria for Feb. 6 Republican debate - CBS News

It looks like Rand might not have qualified for the next debate and with a challenge to his Senate seat, he probably decided it was time to get out.

I guess this is basically right. Not necessarily to clear the path for Rubio, but just because the NRSC has to spend more in Kentucky if Paul isn’t there full-time himself, and his personal donors’ money is going to various primary states.

CNN reporting that Santorum is out as well. The herd is thinning.

Looks like all in except Carly, which makes me inclined to peg her as soon-to-go.

But Bush, Carson, Christie and Kasich are still in it, AFAIK. I guess Bush, Christie and Kasich all still hold out hope of supplanting Rubio as the “Establishment” choice, and Carson . . . well, who knows what goes on in his mind.

OMG!

…Are you stating with authority that Santorum is dropping out of the Republican candidates!?
(That Is News. Its just not a Surprise…)

Now who’s going to explain history to the students of Howard University?

So who leaked the news?

You just can’t stop a Santorum leak.

Santorum gets squeezed out?

Supposedly, Santorum will endorse someone during his campaign suspension announcement later today. I expect him to endorse Rubio.

I would expect him to endorse the biggest asshole.