I’ll bear that in mind, but it sounds like a more complicated spreadsheet than I can lay out. Maybe you can illustrate the rounds like I did above?
Round 2A : Winners of round 1
Round 2B: Losers of round 1
Round 3: Winners of round 2B and losers of 2A
Round 4: Winners of Round 2A and round 3 (single elimination from here on)
Thanks. I’ll think on that some more. I am a bit reluctant to add Byes, but this does make sense.
Why are the votes public?
Why do you keep asking this question?
Because I can’t think of a reason for them not to be. If someone is ashamed of their movie preferences, perhaps they shouldn’t participate.
Moderating:
This is your pet peeve and not a board preference. Do not bring this up again. It is akin to a thread shit after 128 polls were posted.
Public votes allow for more discussion, which is generally the idea of these threads.
Also as a side note, many find it interesting to see who has similar tastes and very different tastes.
Modhat off: Thanks to @Thumper668 for running this, I know how difficult it is.
Ultimately, I think we all choose to hang out here for the fun of it. Camaraderie, common interests, conflicting interests and petty squabbling are all part of that. I feel that the benefits outweigh the costs and are at least equal to the effort. I’m happy to do my part to contribute because I get as much out of it as anyone else does.
Likewise, and many thanks to Thumper!
Pull up a chair for Babette’s Feast!
I’m not sure I want to live in a world where Blazing Saddles gets the nod over Double Indemnity.
Yeah, I sympathize. I feel 100% the opposite way, but I sympathize.
I was hoping some of my pet long shots would draw similar dark horses but Bikini Beach doesn’t stand a chance against Dr. Strangelove. Likewise, Monster Zero against Clue.
Man, how is a 1995 TV movie version of Persuasion with a miscast Ciarin Hinds putting up any contest against The Drop. (which ended up being James Gandolfini’s last movie; he played a good role in it)
Well, at 7.6 on IMDb it does turn out to be the highest rated version of that story, so I guess…
I don’t know either of those movies. ![]()
The Drop is an adaptation of a rather dark Dennis Lehane book, if you like gritty mysteries.
I’ll have to add it to my list. I like gritty mysteries, and I like (liked
) Galdolfini.
I was hoping some of my pet long shots would draw similar dark horses but Bikini Beach doesn’t stand a chance against Dr. Strangelove.
I voted for Bikini beach just for that reason. And Dr Strangelove is overrated. But yeah, some of the match-ups mean a great film will be eliminated, but this is hard to do.
The Drop is an adaptation of a rather dark Dennis Lehane book, if you like gritty mysteries.
I’ll have to add it to my list. I like gritty mysteries, and I like (liked
) Galdolfini.
It’s quite good IMHO (and I voted for it), but it was a bit of an obscure sleeper far as I can remember. It has good performances from Hardy and Gandolfini. But while it made a profit it didn’t make a lot, didn’t win any awards and wasn’t on a lot of top 10 lists for the year.
Man, how is a 1995 TV movie version of Persuasion with a miscast Ciarin Hinds putting up any contest against The Drop
Dammit. That shouldn’t have made it into the poll - TV movies aren’t eligible. I have to think about how to handle this.
It’s true it was released on the BBC in the UK, but Sony Pictures Classics picked it up and did a theatrical release in the US. A bit of a hybrid, you might be able to leave it up?