I’ll look further into it. Thanks.
@Maserschmidt is correct. Per IMDB it had a box office opening on Sep 27, 1995 in the US and Canada. Persuasion stays.
I put a few of my own pet long shots in just because I love them, not really expecting that love to be reflected by anyone else. I didn’t even vote for my own Last Year at Marienbad because it ended up matched up against Das Boot. A tough choice when I saw it on my screen.
Damn, the Star Wars IV vs Holy Grail matchup was tough. Thanks for running the polls, nonetheless.
Agreed that was brutal. But I was too afraid of Keyser Soze to vote against him.
I was a little surprised to see The Wrong Trousers on here. I mean, I think it’s utter perfection but I wasn’t aware it was ever released at the cinema? Otherwise it would’ve been on my list. But now it is on here, it is going to be hard to beat in my eyes!
Per IMDB it had a theatrical release on Dec 17, 1993. I almost didn’t include it until I found that.
Ah right cool I didn’t know that. It must’ve been very limited. I’m glad it made the cut because I love it!
It seems like voting has settled down. I’m of a mind to close the polls today at tally up the results. Anyone second the motion? Anyone opposed?
Seconded.
Motion carried. Polls will be closed at 12 noon Eastern time today.
Sorry… I’m being obtuse… where’s the final poll located?
We’ve got probably 3 more rounds before we get to a final poll.
Having given it some thought, I like @colinfred’s suggestion for the next rounds. After I tally the votes for Round 1, I will seed the winners into Round 2A and the losers into Round 2B. Each vote will count as one point and vote differential will be the tie breaker. I hope to have Round 2A and 2B posted later today. For simplicity’s sake I’ll use one thread for both.
Back when I did my music polls, I did pre-poll surveys seeking out nominations and encouraging repeat nominations. I tracked the nominations as I went and, once sufficient input was received, ranked each song top-to-bottom based on how many nominations each song received. Once I had this info, constructing the brackets was straightforward. After each round, I re-prioritized and re-bracketed.
I know this isn’t helpful now, just presenting it for a point of info.
I also know appreciate much effort this requires. Thank you for your service, @Thumper668!
mmm
I actually considered that initially, but once I realized the scale it became a bit much to track, and there wasn’t really a way to devise a tie-breaker between all of the movies with 1 nomination. It’s kind of an evolving process. At this point I’m thinking of Round 1 as the seeding round, while rounds 2A and 2B will pit seed 1 vs seed 64 and 65 vs 128 and so forth respectively. It’s been an education!
IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes ratings could be a more neutral way to seed the movies. But your approach is fine too.
(Gathering all the rankings from a source like that is a good use of an AI agent.)
I like this!
I see i voted barely under the wire, too. Maybe it would have been better if i hadn’t voted. I didn’t vote unless i was pretty familiar with both movies, but i did sometimes cute when i hadn’t watched one.
But you did say it was about liking movies, not if you think they are “good”. And i hate horror movies. So, you know, a decent comedy against a horror movie I’ve heard of… I know which I’ll enjoy more.
The ultimate arbiter should be the question - “Which would you rather watch?”