The Great SDMB Movie Poll Round 3

Round 3 consists of the Winners of Round 2B versus the Losers of Round 2A.

Match 1
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  • Fargo
0 voters
Match 2
  • Apollo 13
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
0 voters
Match 3
  • North By Northwest
  • Apocalypse Now
0 voters
Match 4
  • Toy Story
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 1971
0 voters
Match 5
  • Galaxy Quest
  • The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
0 voters
Match 6
  • The Matrix
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
0 voters
Match 7
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Vertigo
0 voters
Match 8
  • Goodfellas
  • Reservoir Dogs
0 voters
Match 9
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
0 voters
Match 10
  • Star Wars: A New Hope
  • Some Like It Hot
0 voters
Match 11
  • Double Indemnity
  • Top Gun
0 voters
Match 12
  • Witness for the Prosecution
  • The Thing (1982)
0 voters
Match 13
  • 12 Angry Men
  • The Searchers
0 voters
Match 14
  • The Producers
  • Tombstone
0 voters
Match 15
  • True Grit (2010)
  • The Abyss
0 voters
Match 16
  • The Shining
  • Taxi Driver
0 voters
Match 17
  • Trainspotting
  • The Silence of the Lambs
0 voters
Match 18
  • Tootsie
  • Shaun of the Dead
0 voters
Match 19
  • Leon: The Professional (AKA The Professional)
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
0 voters
Match 20
  • Grease
  • Silverado
0 voters
Match 21
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
0 voters
Match 22
  • Repo Man
  • Murder by Death
0 voters
Match 23
  • My Cousin Vinnie
  • The Third Man
0 voters
Match 24
  • It’s a Wonderful Life
  • LA Confidential
0 voters
Match 25
  • Sixteen Candles
  • Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
0 voters
Match 26
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Top Secret!
0 voters
Match 27
  • Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
  • From Russia With Love
0 voters
Match 28
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Charade
0 voters
Match 29
  • Dumbo (1941)
  • Good Will Hunting
0 voters
Match 30
  • Touch of Evil
  • The Caine Mutiny
0 voters
Match 31
  • Inception
  • In Bruges
0 voters
Match 32
  • Notorious
  • Fight Club
0 voters
Match 33
  • Sleuth (1972)
  • Rock and Roll High School
0 voters
Match 34
  • Bruce Almighty
  • The Birds
0 voters
Match 35
  • Goldfinger
  • Gran Torino
0 voters
Match 36
  • The Exorcist (1973)
  • You Only Live Twice
0 voters
Match 37
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • King Kong (1933)
0 voters
Match 38
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Princess Mononoke
0 voters
Match 39
  • Les Misérables
  • Master and Commander
0 voters
Match 40
  • Contact
  • The Dirty Dozen
0 voters
Match 41
  • It follows
  • Support Your Local Sheriff
0 voters
Match 42
  • Christmas Vacation
  • A Room With A View
0 voters
Match 43
  • Who’s Harry Crumb
  • His Girl Friday
0 voters
Match 44
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  • Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit
0 voters
Match 45
  • Weekend at Bernie’s
  • Almost Famous
0 voters
Match 46
  • Stalker (1979)
  • What’s Up Doc?
0 voters
Match 47
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
0 voters
Match 48
  • On Golden Pond
  • Rat Race
0 voters
Match 49
  • A Good Year
  • The Quiet Man
0 voters
Match 50
  • Breathless (1960)
  • The Apartment
0 voters
Match 51
  • Moonrise Kingdom
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
0 voters
Match 52
  • The Little Girl That Lives Down The Lane
  • La Femme Nikita
0 voters
Match 53
  • The Oxbow Incident
  • The Hangover
0 voters
Match 54
  • Rain Main
  • Clash of the Titans (1981)
0 voters
Match 55
  • The Cocoanuts
  • Pretty in Pink
0 voters
Match 56
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Slap Shot
0 voters
Match 57
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Pygmalion
0 voters
Match 58
  • Persuasion (1995)
  • Wait Until Dark
0 voters
Match 59
  • Big Wednesday
  • Endless Summer
0 voters
Match 60
  • Rashomon
  • The Descendants
0 voters
Match 61
  • Arthur
  • The Package
0 voters
Match 62
  • My Man Godfrey
  • The Drop (2014)
0 voters
Match 63
  • The Longest Day
  • Free Solo
0 voters
Match 64
  • Return of the Living Dead
  • RocknRolla
0 voters

I want to give a HUGE shoutout to @TroutMan for showing me a way to build monster polls quickly! You just gave me back an hour and a half of my life!

Wow, so many that were tough. A movie I enjoy very much versus a well-made groundbreaking film. Ugg!

I know it wasn’t planned, but Goodfellas vs Resevoir Dogs was an inspired (and difficult) matchup.

:+1: I’m glad it worked!

I surprised myself by voting for The Descendants over Rashomon, but which one have I watched multiple times? That one. I certainly know which one has the better soundtrack.

Sixteen Candles is so horrifying (between the rape and the racist jokes) (and Leon: The Professionial ain’t so great that I’m just voting against them regardless of competition; otherwise I’ll need to have seen both films to vote.

Endless Summer vs Big Wednesday??? Fuck me…

Easy choice for me - I’d rather watch actual surfers than Jan Michael Vincent and Gary Busey pretending to be surfers.

ETA: Also I’d like to reiterate that the matchups were determined purely by the results of the previous round.

Care to share the method? I don’t know if I know.

mmm

Match 39: Master and Commander vs. Les Misérables.

The question is, which Les Miz?

IMDb lists 21 films with that title, not counting some TV mini-series and a 41-episode anime.

Wikipedia lists 15.

I assumed it was a Russell Crowe vs Russell Crowe showdown.

Good question. From the beginning, I had assumed it was the one with Hugh Jackman. I guess I should have determined that earlier in the poll. I didn’t follow up on it because I’m not a fan and wasn’t aware of any other cinematic versions.

ETA: It was @SCAdian that nominated it. Perhaps he can clarify which version and I’ll update my spreadsheet.

Essentially you use Google Sheets to put the matchups in the first 2 columns and paste the raw text for creating a poll in column C. Then copy it down the rest of the column. Copy and paste all of Column c into Discourse as text only. You can’t use Excel because of a formatting anomaly that adds an extra set of quotation marks. I can message you the text like Troutman sent it to me.

There were a lot of these that I wanted both to lose. Sad.

Again, Thumper668, thank you for the work you’re putting into this.

I’m surprised that some of my nominations are still in the mix – and looking strong. Thank you everyone for appreciating those goofy cult films.