the line that defined the movie

How about one line that even sums up the plot:

I’ll be back…

It really defines the whole movie, plot and all, it just keeps coming back.

I’m not going to be ignored, Dan.

Lifes like a movie, make your own ending.

The needs of the many…outweigh the needs of the few…

…or the one.

Cartman: “F##k! S##t! C##k! A##! S##tty b##ner b##ch! M##f! P##sy! C##k! B##thole! B##bara S##eisand!”

South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

DuhMan, you mean Ash, from AOD, not Ace. As in “Name’s Ash. Housewares.”

Willy Wonka - “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Caddyshack - “Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball.”

Con Air - “Define irony…a bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.”

Animal House - “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

Throw Momma From the Train - “Owen loves his momma”

Whoops… I messed up on that Ash thing…

::hangs head in shame and slumps away::

I can’t believe no one said this.

“There is no spoon.”

“Lait go…of…the…BUNNY!”–ConAir

“I’m worried as hell about the mineshaft gap!”–Dr. Strangeglove

“That’s it? Straight tens across the board, no running, OCV 3, 2 PD, 2 ED, 2 speed – a hundred and fifty extra points, and you put them ALL into your Energy Blast?!?!!!

No, wait, that never got made into a movie, did it? (I only wish it did. :wink: )

Where the Buffalo Roam: “This ain’t no safari!!! This is a party!!!”

“This may feel…a little weird.” The Matrix

I’m your father --Skywalker Sr. to Skywalker Jr.

Want to step outside? --Kal-el to Hector Elizondo back in Superman II. One of the greatest movie scenes ever.

I see dead people–Cole Sear to Harry Stamper. Or was it John McClane?

No one can be told what the Matrix is, you have got to experience for yourself–Morpheus to Neo

What is the Matrix?–Neo to Trinity

Adrian!!!–The Itallian Stallion to, well, whom else? Adrian.

I you buid it, He will come–Misterious voice to Ray.

No, The He is not a typo. Let me elaborate. The movie tells us that “he” refers to Ray’s father. An interesting explanation I heard proposes that the voice is Ray’s own.

Now, to my take on the issue: the voice is God telling Ray that Jesus–He–will come if Ray built Him a baseball field. That was back in 1989. You probably recall that baseball was somewhat crappy back then. So, what is for God to do? Send his Son, the Messiah, the Savior of baseball. And what do you know? Balls are flying out of ballparks and baseball is back to being America’s past time.

Of course, the Messiah is none else that Mark McGwire, Home Run God and superstar extraordinaire. And if you want further proof that Big Mac is the Second Coming, it should suffice to now that His great great great grandfather was named Jesus.

“Failure is not an option” -Apollo 13

“Where’s the money Lebowski!!!” -The Big Lebowski

“Did you jerk off today?”
"Yep. How about you?
“Yep.” -Kicking and Screaming

Um…that wasn’t Hector Elizondo in SupermanII, it was Terence Stamp. Otherwise, yeah, great line.

How about this gem from Conan the Barbarian:

“Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that this day, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!”

No? Well then, how about this one?

“He is Conan. A Cimmerian. He won’t cry, so I cry for him.”

Ok, ok, I have to bring out the best damn line from the movie then…

Mongol General: “We have won again! That is good! But what is best in life?”
Mongol Warrior: “The open steppe, a fleet horse, a falcon on your wrist, the wind in your hair!”
Mongol General: “Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?”
Conan: “To crush your enemy, to see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!”
Mongol General: “That is good.”

Babe - “That’ll do, pig.”

“Are you an assassin?”
“I’m a soldier.”
“You’re neither. You’re an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.”

• Apocalypse Now

“Is that you, John Wayne?”
“Is this me?”

• Full Metal Jacket

“Are we still shooting?”

• Three Kings

“I want you to hit me as hard as you can.”

• Fight Club

Who are those guys

• Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

And two from Animal House…

“Face it flounder, you fucked up, you trusted us.”

and

of course

“RAMMING SPEED!!!”

You got me there Kilt. Grrr! Actually I wasn’t sure if that was Hector Elizondo but, since I was to lazy to go check it at the IMDB, I decided to throw his name in and let it be corrected if it was indeed an erroneous recollection of my part. You know, I haven’t seen that movie in about 5 years–I hate myself–and somehow I visually associate Zed’s appearance with Elizondo’s.

Grendel69 wrote:

I disagree! The defining line in Apollo 13 was the one that appeared on the movie’s posters:

“Houston, we have a problem.”

… which is all the more poignant considering that, for a movie that tried its darnedest to get every little detail exactly right, they intentionally changed this line from the line actually spoken in the NASA air-to-ground transcripts. (What Jim Lovell actually said was, “Houston, we’ve had a problem.”)