The Long-Necked Animal Message Board

In old Soviet Union, tea doesn’t like you!

I don’t see much difference between Behind Your Back and the “Omnibus Trolls Я Us” thread in the Pit. Each board has its own place for snark, but it doesn’t represent the forums as a whole. And as expecto said, they don’t tolerate assholish behavior. In fact, Rule #1 is “Don’t be an asshole.” The admins don’t tolerate real hate speech or online stalking of people’s personal info. Severe offenders have been known to be banned. Most of the time they get sent to the Box (a forum where they’re confined to and can’t post anywhere else for varying lengths of time) . And as Roo said, you can ignore entire forums or threads. Anybody who feels that they’re unfairly insulted is welcome to join up and defend themselves, or to insult right back if they feel like it.

And to make things even more confusing there is the regular snackpit (S2) which is totally anonymous and the invitation only snackpit (S3) which is hosted on the same domain. I’m told that S3 has no anonymous posting at all and is maybe a bit more active.

shhh photos and a MUCH bigger selection of emoji

:stuck_out_tongue:

It is perhaps worth noting that the snark in Behind Your Back is not only directed at specific posters. It is also directed at certain types of posts that pop up all the time over here. “I can make it better and cheaper at home” posts are often noted.

For example, in a thread about fine steakhouses, someone will invariably assert they can make a steak better and cheaper at home. This is eyeroll-worthy not only because a home cook will almost never have access to the equipment or the quality of beef available to a high-end steakhouse, but also because they are disregarding all the other factors that make a trip to an excellent steakhouse enjoyable to many of us.

Or in a thread where a poster is considering buying something, someone will suggest they can make it more cheaply themselves at home - disregarding the fact that in order to accomplish this, the person would need a lathe, a team of oxen, and at least a month of free time at his or her disposal.

Of course, in some cases, one really can easily make whatever it is better and cheaper at home.* Those posts are not snarked on because they’re genuinely helpful and not tone-deaf.

There are other post-types that get made fun of over there. “Why do hyoo-mons…” springs to mind. If you’re interested, I’m sure some of the other “cowards” will be happy to share as well.

BTW - if you’re an old timer like me, it’s worth reading the snark threads for links to “retrosnark” - older threads that are weird or laughable or whatever. They’re a good trip down memory lane. Some of them are funny enough that anybody would enjoy them. (Not going to post any links here, even to ones where the OPs haven’t been here in a decade. Afraid of violating some rule.)

Regards,

Green Bean, both there and here.

• Fruit fly traps, for example. Homemade ones are more effective, and practically free.

You know, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt on this. I went and googled it to make sure. It wasn’t a direct threat or a doxing attempt, but it was a very sick thing to say about a child.

Anyway, I just ended up finding another bit of nastiness from some twit making sick remarks about my custody battle and postulating that I had been sexually abused as a child. So, yes, I’m sure it’s them and no, I’m not going to keep reading this tripe to find it for you.

Look, again, I don’t care. But if they weren’t cowards they would bring it to the pit and bring it to our attention so that we could respond. This whisper campaign reminds me of the old biddies at the country club with nannies and maids and absolutely nothing else to do with their time than to make up sick fantasies and then spread them as rumours.

As for usernames, if you’re not a member they just show up as “someone.”

You know you’re perfectly allowed to go over to Giraffe and confront people there, right? There’s no secrets, it’s not anonymous, or a “whisper campaign”. It’s to keep it out of the Pit and to talk about the boards, since most of the stuff we talk about would probably get closed down in a heartbeat.

And you obviously DO care, or you wouldn’t have brought it up in the first place.

If you don’t want everyone to show up as “someone” then all it takes is registering an account (or two, or six, nobody cares about how many socks are in your drawer) and logging in. Then you’ll see usernames, avatars, the lot. The “someone” thing is a joke by Giraffe, to keep people from endlessly lurking without even the ability to join in. We’re constantly being surprised by usernames popping up who’ve been registered for years with postcounts in single digits. It’s always amusing to find out what it takes to make a lurker decloak.

Well, if it makes you feel better to call us cowards, then enjoy.

It seems to me that it’s more cowardly to whine about fake “whisper campaigns” than it is to just go over there and tell us all to fucko off. Or better, take a tip from our favorite dude/ette and hang out and chat.

And really, there’s very little that’s worth starting a pit thread over. Pit threads aren’t usually any fun anyway.

They’re really only fun when they backfire, but you can’t tell anyone to fuck off so that lowers the enjoyment quotient considerably.

To avoid getting this thread closed, we also allow sock accounts, and icky things like avatars (we usually have a monthly theme, although you don’t have to go along with it) and a bigger selection of smilies. :eek:

Many of the smilies are even animated. My favorite one is the angry nut kick. :smiley:

There is a simple elegance to 'spec’s exploding head.

No FFS, no one should feel obligated to go over there and confront people wondering aloud about past sexual abuse or whatever.

Just accept that other people find this dickish and don’t want to deal with it. It’s not complicated.

Moderator Note

This (below) is exactly the kind of stuff that’s going to get this thread closed. I don’t think it would be fair to people who don’t want to engage in the drama. Leave specific off-board drama out of this thread. This means don’t post about it, and don’t respond to it. Posters who fail to follow these instructions risk an official warning and the thread will be closed.

No warnings issued.

You can just go to the pit ands read what people are saying about you too. It’s much the same.

I’m torn between the thread shit and the derp fight. So versatile.

There is a significant difference, and that is that the SDMB has a general rule against critiquing posts and posters on other boards here on the SDMB. The Giraffe Boards, on the other hand, has a forum where that is encouraged. I think that’s the reason for the accusation that posters on the Giraffe Boards are cowardly, because they don’t make their critiques of SDMB posters here.

The SDMB’s policy against posts about posts and posters on other boards was explained by a former moderator of the SDMB:

(My emphasis)

ETA: and after posting, I see that Spice Weasel has re-iterated that general rule here in this thread:

(Her emphasis.)

People who use the word coward fail to realize that most of us use the same name over there. Same name as here. I think you’re getting confused between GB and S2.

sure we do - and it’s not they, it’s us. we are them.

listen, I’m going to say this before somebody gets this closed: despite the popularity of the snark thread, there are those of us who don’t always read/post there and spend our time (mostly) on the rest of the board. it’s smaller than here, but friendly and more fun in my personal experience.

but I still come here, because, you ready? VARIETY! :stuck_out_tongue:

and if Goat Yoga was available in my town, I would sure try it.