The Long-Necked Animal Message Board

Totally get it.

It was the only online version of D&D I ever tried that really worked. But that’s probably because of all the time you put in.

if it isn’t worth arguing about, why post? :dubious:

I seriously don’t get where you see shit-stirring or whining.

I myself see it in “infinitely prefer to do most of my posting there because the ridiculous cobweb tangle of conflicting rules here is annoying as hell. […]If you tried to train a puppy using SDMB rules they’d never learn anything and would likely end up running into traffic to escape their life.” but I guess ymmv.

Trust me. It’s never without a reason. Doesn’t have to be a bad reason either.

My only real experiences with Giraffe board were once when I got a PM that they were discussing me, and again when they came up on a google search when I was trying to find an old thread over here to update it.

What I saw seemed to be “The Pit” for cowards. Cowardly, because the people they are discussing aren’t there to defend themselves. They were also wildly inaccurate, taking my answer to a hypothetical proposed over here and quoting it as if this were my daily mode of living. They took my words, multiplied the concept to the ultimate absurdity, and then excoriated me and questioned my character based upon the absurd notions they had themselves created. They worked themselves up into such a tizzy that they actually hinted at raping my child. It was stunningly negative and ridiculous. In defense of the board at large, I will say that a couple of other posters called them on it.

On the second thread, they were insulting my appearance. It was again based upon misquoting and twisting my words, as I had talked about what it was like being attractive when I was young, and the difference now that I am old and overweight. The poster was apparently incapable of comprehending the difference between past and present tense, or of reading to the second paragraph to see that I acknowledged having changed dramatically since then. So he was apparently horribly offended to show up at a dopefest and find himself in the presence of an old fat person. And he needed to be publicly arseholish about it, but was too cowardly to come and mention it here where we might have discussed it openly. Others accepted his pretense and joined in.

So yeah, I’m sure that’s a nano-particle of what happens over there, and probably the only two times I’ve ever caught their eye, but it was enough for me to lose any interest. I’ve learned in my life to welcome criticism, (even though I don’t enjoy it,) because I can often learn and improve by it. That’s not what they do over there.

Hi What Exit? I haven’t interacted with you in a while. Thanks for the kind words in the past. I hope I’m remembering that accurately.

Nice of you to notice me in a place there’s mostly no real reason to go.

There’s actually a community there that I enjoy. But it’s not for everyone, I guess. Oddly though, there are very few people on GB who don’t post there at all.

There are at least 3 easy ways to put me and/or that forum on ignore. Let me know if you need instructions. Always happy to help people with that. I have a PSA with the instructions there, but it gets buried after a while.

I’m glad you’re enjoying GB more now. Have a wonderful 2018!

I like the Giraffe board though I doubt I’ve posted there since I joined but if the dope ever folds that’ll be my new home.

I don’t see the transgression you see here. Despite the overlap in membership, worse things have been said about GB than about the Dope. I like both.

Da’fuck? Are you sure you’re not confusing us with the Snack Pit? Because I can assure you anyone who threatened to rape anyone would be warned, if not Boxed.

Haven’t been over there in a few years, but back when I visited, the Snark Pit seemed to be full of idiot middle school girls (in mentality) who liked to distort facts so they could have something to whisper about. You needed to bring along several pallets of salt to get through it.

Other than that, it’s just a bunch of splitters from this board and a perfectly fine place to visit…

Funny, I’m mostly an outsider/occasional visitor to the Giraffe Board but I find most of the complaints about it in this thread either outdated or contained to single forum Behind Your Back that it turns out could be ignore if you want to browse and use GB free of the snark.

I been there a lot lately for last 2 months but hadn’t posted there for 2 years and went 3 years before that small run. It is a pretty relaxed place and fun.

I’m kind of surprised by the geeb hate, frankly

right? that’s not the geeb I know!

I’m also a little confused at how we’re supposed to be “The Pit for cowards” when it’s right there and most of us use the same usernames here and there. Snark threads are pretty much like the pit, but without having to do a single thread for every bit of snark. I don’t get it.

Honestly, me too.

Meh, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That’s fine. Me, I don’t even like tea.

I’m confused by the use of “snarkpit” by more than one person in a thread discussing Giraffe boards. GB has the Behind your Back forum which has an ongoing snark thread about the Dope. You can see usernames if you have a login and sign in.

The snarkpit, or snackpit, is a completely different(and completely anonymous) board. I’m wondering if some of you are confusing the two.

And I have no idea what TruCelt is going on about. There are basically no rules at GB which is why it’s more fun but posts promoting rape or tracking down someone’s real life info or any other creepiness like that don’t fly there and never have. And stuff like that seemed to happen a lot more often in the earlier days of the boards when there were a lot of nonnies with accounts who would troll around. These days most of those guys have wandered off.

Moderating

I’m gonna be honest, this thread seems like a train wreck waiting to happen, but I want to be proven wrong. So let’s have a wonderful general discussion about the Giraffe Boards (hi Giraffe!) but let’s keep naming names, personal off-board drama and the snarkpit out of this thread.

I understand how some people could be confused about the different off-board forums that spawned from this message board, and it’s fine to clarify the difference between them, but drama specific to either of these boards needs to stay out of this thread. Otherwise, the thread will be closed.

Your much shorter compatriot,

Spice Weasel

Behind your back is really benign. If you happen to see someone mentioned there, it’s for a reason. Probably the same reason the person is in a pit thread here. It’s never been a matter of just rubbing names in the dirt, I mean, to get mentioned there you have to do something really special here. Gweebos usually find the trolls here faster then **RC **finds the spammers too. And it’s a great place to keep up on gossip and news, as well as doper history. Much less moderation, much better member manners. Except for this one female who just can’t shut the fuck up. My gawd, she’ll still be yacking at the undertaker when they bury her.

I’m a member there as well, and run the DeathPool game. We don’t have nearly as many players, huh, but it lets folks play one list there, one list here. Decisions, decisions.

I am a member and lurk,rarely posting. I love it there. I may have to get more active there. The snark is funny as can be and not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings I believe. It is so easy not to go there if it bothers anyone.