The Nevers [open spoilers after first post]

Also, one of the bad guys dropped that he was the King’s cousin. Has it been stated what became of Victoria?

Sixth episode.

Joss Whedon was the show runner for the first six episodes, all of which completed principal photography last year. He’s had no involvement since then. Also, apparently, most of the VFX and other post-production work on those episodes was done after he left. So even what we’re seeing in the first six episodes isn’t entirely Whedon. The new show-runner, Philippa Goslett, oversaw most of the post-production. It’s not at all clear if we’re seeing Whedon’s intended cut, or Goslett’s re-cut of Whedon’s work, or (probably) a mix of both. Either way, the “shunning” isn’t over with. We’re seeing episodes that were filmed before he left.

Probably worth pointing out that publicly, at least, Whedon left on his own due to burn-out, not due to the accusations of a toxic work environment. So far, no one involved in The Nevers has made any accusations. Of course, the timing of his departure was convenient, and I don’t think he’s ever bailed on a project like this before, but that’s a topic for a whole different thread.

I don’t think so. I actually missed that the reference to the King. We do seem to be in an alternate timeline - more than just the existence of the Touched. Presumably the spaceship or whatever it was either caused or was the result of a timeline divergence. We’re supposed to be getting some big reveals in the next episode (Whedon’s final one).

It’s a VERY old Simpsons quote.

We finally got around to watching it, another good episode. I like the characters a lot, and the Maladie bait and switch was clever.

The only annoying bit was the name Galanthi, very casually dropped as a lot of people have noted…I think we had to assume that at the end of episode four she explained why she was crying. But certainly that was an exposition worth including.

I thought at first he had noticed that the two women were wearing different shoes, but watching the scene again, I think it was just that there was no way Maidie could jump down and go sprinting away from his office like that if she were missing a bunch of toes.

I just binged and caught up with this show.

I don’t mind the five week jump, clearly expressed as five weeks having passed by the judge stating after five weeks of testimonies … better just to show what has happened in the five weeks than to explain it.

But I sure hope they have a place this is going!

Lavinia is the biggest puzzle to me. She supports True collecting AND is the boss of Mad American Scientist who is collecting the Touched to experiment upon and to use … and so was the force behind each side trying to gather up Myrtle??? Does she not know that part of what Mad American Scientist is doing? She clearly sees Big Blue Ball aka Galanthi as living thing that is a danger best destroyed or at least moved so that when it emerges it causes less harm?

Her headaches seem like a Chekhov’s gun to me as well.

Is Swann just a high status hedonistic pansexual pimp? Or is he also playing some other game?

Clearly True is of the Galanthi minimally sharing the human body. But then why could she not understand the language of the song, even as she recognized it as Galanthi (she said it was Gala… before cutting off when first sung)?

Maladie and Amalia have history that Amalia vaguely recalls with Maladie (then Sarah) having been abused but Amalia moving on … without a choice? The Galanthi with True there for some mission that True doesn’t really know, but she is soldier otherwise, with no space to bury dead where/when she is from, and clearly believed that Penance and Mary were important for the mission that she doesn’t understand, enough to risk sacrificing herself?

The touched of course all those who in London of the time were disempowered, by nature (Augie, “as gentle as a blush”) or women in general but clearly not the powerful ones like Lavinia, or a Black man … the mission is to upset the British social hierarchy of the time?

I’m hoping this is not all sloppiness but I have a feeling it won’t snap all into place so well.

Time travel confirmed (well of a sort). And the spores are future tech. The Galanthi is some sort of empath super powerful dinosaur.

I didn’t expect that, but, you know… I kinda liked it.

So Stripe travels to 18-fuckety-12 and makes friends with Sadness O’Religionface.

Claudia Black was probably my favorite thing about the series so far. That and religious dipshits burning the world down rather than letting aliens help.

I definitely missed that…

I only watched it once, but my understanding is that aliens came to help fix things, Stripe’s group wanted the help and the captive guy’s team wanted to kill off the Galanthi because, among other things, Jesus.

I heard them reference the “Freemen” or something and it wasn’t totally clear if the captive was one of them or if he was some other cohort. What the sides are in that conflict were more than a little confusing.

Both sides of the war seem to be about faith.

Stripe’s side is faith not only in the Galanthi’s power but in their beneficence and plan for helping humanity. Based on little evidence it seems.

Stripe feels she was chosen by the Galanthi for a mission that she reluctantly accepted. Did the Galanthi have any such plans? Or was it just escaping through where the portal led and taking a pet along? Spores not released as a plan but as part of a system failure. Stripe/Amalia’s path may be to realize there is no path chosen for her by the Galanthi, no great plan for her or to save humanity, not by the Galanthi, not by Maladie’s god … maybe they both exist but neither is an entity that intervenes or sees a need to. She needs to be not be a Stripe taking orders, looking for orders to be given, but existing without such divine(ish) intervention, creating and choosing a path to change the future.

Also, the “can’t tell anyone your name” thing seemed religious.

It’s like, spiritual, man.

Yeah, I’d agree that the PDC has some huge cultural shifts. Although, I’d suggest that if 5 billion humans die due to rampant environmental damage, and aliens come through wormholes and offer help (and apparently actually help) it’s not like trusting them is the same leap of faith as giving the wheel to Jesus.

The I think about it the more the symmetry appeals, not only between the sides of the war, but between Maladie’s wanting her god to tell her what to do and hearing nothing, and Amalia’s wanting the Galanthi to tell her what to do and hearing nothing …

Freelife Major never utters the word Jesus, fwiw. He says they believe in God unlike the PDC. But the PDC believes names are sacred. There is also that dialogue where Stripe tells Spore that they should stop praying to the Galanthi when Spore says they aren’t Gods. Stripe also mentions she’s not waiting for a savior (ie, the Galanthi).

Freelife Major also convices the PDC person to turn by asking if these Galanthi were just a scouting party for an invasion.

Stripe also asked why didn’t the Galanthi come earlier to save them. And why don’t they come now since the portal is open.

It may be easy to make it black and white, religious freaks vs scientific believers in benevolent aliens, but the show itself never did that.

Any thoughts about two teasers at the end, her ripple knocked down with the Galanthi?

Something like “You didn’t think you were the only one to hitch a ride” and the “This is a long time from that little cave, I’m going to need you to forget about this. “

Replaying it - the “hitch a ride …” was a woman’s voice, could have been Lavinia’s? And I missed it first time but the “long time …” was Myrtle dressed futuristically against some star backdrop.