The Office" "WUPH.COM" (open spoilers)

That’s what my sister just said. She also pointed out that he once called Ryan ‘Fire Guy’ even though he wasn’t there when that happened. He just likes to fit in.

Yes, when Gabe said that that Sabre didn’t want both Michael and Jim as co-managers, Jim looked at the sales commission structure and immediately volunteered to return to sales. And actually, I was wondering if Pam is still technically in sales, perhaps he could throw his sales over to her, so that she could record the commissions under her name.

That’s what I figured would happen, but then we wouldn’t have this premise to work on for a week or so.
I assume they’ll change it. If Jim hit his, it’s safe to assume that Dwight already has or will soon. If they lose two of their best salespeople until the next year/fiscal year/period they’ll have to make a change.

Did anyone else think Michael had a good point in not wanting to sell? There are risks when investing on a start up, if they didn’t think WUPHF.com was a good idea to begin with they wouldn’t have put up the money. Besides, it didn’t seem like a terrible idea i can see a lot of people who use all those websites already liking it.

Michael invested because he thought Ryan was his best friend. Pam…well, Pam also quit her job to join The Michael Scott Paper Company, I’m not sure I’d take her financial advice.
Also, don’t forget, Ryan is good at selling this kind of thing.

I thought Michael made it clear that he knew (or at least had come to realize after his talk with pam) that Ryan was not his friend, but that he still believed Ryan had some innate cleverness and ingenuity and might have a chance to make [del]his[/del] Kelly’s idea work.

It also worked that he essentially put Ryan on the spot and left him nothing more to hide behind or manipulate. “You have nine days.” That forced Ryan to actually have to strongly self-evaluate and see reality.

Yeah, I think Ryan got Pam to* give him * money as a wedding gift, saying it was an investment.

I don’t know why Darryl invested, or at what point he and everyone else wanted to get out of the investment. He said problem wasn’t with the idea, it was with Ryan. I don’t think they trusted him. He must not have trusted himself, because he sold it.

I have a ‘wuphf.com’ kind of idea of my own… sigh

That’s right, he asked for more money because he didn’t have enough for more than nine days.

Also Michael grew up a lot when he grilled Ryan and realized that he wasn’t in fact his friend and what Pam said was true. People last week were complaining about petty Michael and how much they want to see some character development before the end and this was exactly that IMO.

I’m surprised they didn’t give him more grief on the way he spent the money they had given him… t-shirts, condoms, etc.

I got kind of the sense of “Eh…we knew who we were dealing with when we flushed the money down the toilet, but it was worth a try…sort of…”

This appears to be the same video, but in colour.

Did everyone see the clip from a couple of months ago where Ryan explained how to set up a WUPHF account?

Hadn’t seen that. I think his hurdles with getting this to take off are A)It costs the user money while all the other social networking sites are free and B)A pager is required (see the little asterisk there).

Well, sure. The problem is that we see these occasional episodes where Michael acts like an adult with some value as a person, and then we get another one where he’s cutting the cable line to Gabe’s apartment.

If they’d just managed to make it where he consistently grew for just this last season it would have been nice.

-Joe

Was this the payoff to the scene in which Jim was making voice clips from Kathy Bates’ book? I missed it, what was the prank?

Joe

Jim took the audio version of Jo’s book, read by Jo herself, and spliced together an introduction that made it sound like she was calling Gabe up to have him listen to some changes she had made in her autobiography. In reality, Gabe’s going to have to sit there at his desk and listen to the whole audiobook on the telephone.

People don’t grow consistently in real life. Michael let his business/boss-sense drive this moment of maturity with Ryan. He’s still a socially-stunted misfit in the unstructured leisure milieu of Gabe’s party, though.

The problem with the hissy fit at Gabe’s party is that two episodes earlier (the Halloween one), Michael threw a hissy fit because Daryl went over his head and multiple people called him on it. It’s such a sore spot because they already showed Michael growing as a person by apologizing to Daryl. making him the same asshole two episodes later is annoying.

And in between, he seemed totally heartbroken that Jim and Pam picked someone else to be the godfather. Pam talking him out of it was the only reason he didn’t cause a scene then too. So they showed that he understood these outbursts hurt people he likes.

And that’s fine unless he’s a small, petty caricature next week. Otherwise, it’s not growth, just inconsistency. And anyway, we’ve seen him act like an adult in the past, then do something absurd like have a trash-throwing fight in the city dump.

Anyway, Michael was much better in this episode, which is always a plus. I loved the side plot with Jim, and I was lukewarm about the sideplot with Dwight. And the intro clip was good; very mundane and a good satire on bad passwords.