The Pointers are down a sister

June Pointer, of the 80s group The Pointer Sisters, has died.

Amazing, after reading that link I find that I know the words toa lot more Pointer Sister songs than I thought I did .

This makes me very sad. I was a fan from way back.

I liked their harmonies. They used to appear on the Carol Burnett Show–they were good and actually good comedic performers.

52 is young to die.

:frowning:

I’m so not excited.

The second to last paragraph seems extraneous to the story and kind of shits on the obit.

Also famous for the Pinball Number Count:

Ready kids?:

(Song and animation on the link)
1 2 3 4 5, 6 7 8 9 10, 11 12!!

And for being the first black female singers to perform at the Grand Ole Opry. They won a Grammy Award in 1975 for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal for “Fairytale”.

Pretty wild.

RIP June

I remember this song and am astonished that it even got a mention it the obit. It was a great one–I remember my dad telling us all about this terrific new song by a group called The Pointer Sisters and how we all loved it when we finally got to hear it! But when they became such an 80’s pop icon, I would always get a blank look from people when I mentioned this tune.

Yeah, and they did some Bee-Bop and Jazz back in the early days, too. These cats were more than just an 80s Pop act. It’s a shame more people don’t realize that.

No Way!! Really? My toddlers are now watching SS videos & that bit, which I love, is included on a lot of them (notably Let’s Make Music featuring STOMP, released in 2000).

Anyway, so sorry to hear about her passing. Her music still brings me joy, That’s a Plenty is wonderful.

And yeah, tacky way to end an obit.

I had to order That’s a Plenty from Japan, BTW. Worth every penny. When Fairytale started getting a lot of play, people were amazed to learn that the singers were Black.

Updating this thread they are now down another sister: Bonnie died at age 69:

That really blows. I remember being bummed in 2006, and now this. Time for a Pointer Sisters music listening session.

A relative of mine was Bonnie Pointer’s high school drama teacher. Actually he taught all of the Pointer sisters I think. I told him about her death today; he hadn’t heard about it. He says Bonnie was a very talented actress but very emotional and challenging to teach sometimes. She was still using her birth name “Pat” back then.