The settlers MMP

Hey sticky!

I now have all my grades for the semester. I no longer have a 4.0 GPA. :frowning: (Cumulative is 3.88, I pulled a B in one class)

OT in the hockey game. Sleep is for the weak.

Sorry, Nettie. But you’re still 0.21GPA smarter than me. :slight_smile:

Well, the semester was a 3.79. Dunno about smarter, but if that one class hadn’t been as much workload as any two or three of the others COMBINED, plus a horrendously time-inefficient way of running it (online class, it was practically a scavenger hunt to find all the material due in a week, and class announcements apparently could not be posted as text, PDF, PPT… They HAD to be buried in half-hour long videos (basically PPT and screen shares converted to a video) with horrible sound quality), plus two major semester projects due the SAME week, which for bonus points was FINALS week…

The prof is a nice enough human being, but I will NEVER take another class of hers if I can help it. Her teaching style just does not work for me, and the workload demands were way disproportionate (I had a four-unit class that had about a THIRD the homework time each week that this three-unit Business Communications class did, and that was Financial Accounting!).

I’m sitting out summer semester (no worthwhile classes for that time), but fall and spring should go a lot better, so I think I can drag cumulative up above 3.9. Employers will still think that’s reasonably OK, right?

**Nettie **- this is not directed at you, but is an observation of my own experience. PS - I’m very impressed with your GPA - good on ya!!!

Anyway, personally I don’t see an employment value in grades. Just because you do an outstanding job in an academic environment doesn’t mean you’ll perform as well in the workplace. Case in point - a fellow engineer in my first engineering job managed to get his engineering degree with an acceptable but far-from-stellar GPA. He was among the best engineers I ever knew. Apart from the fact that his pencil sketches were often better than CAD-generated drawings, he was an excellent problem-solver who could talk to the mechanics and artisans on the shop level and give them what they needed to do their jobs.

In the same office was another engineer (at least by degree) who had a higher GPA but he was mediocre at best in the job. Turns out his niche was more computer than design.

Again, not to denigrate a high GPA - it shows a person has the discipline and dedication to apply him/herself to a task, so there can be a connection to one’s potential as an employee. But it’s just one part of the picture, not the be all and end all. And, as is said, the guy who graduates at the bottom of his med school class is still called Doctor.

I could be all braggy and say I had a 4.76 GPA, but when you further hear that it was on a 6.0 scale, it’s less impressive. It’s still a B- tho, right?

Shortly, I will shed my robe and slippers, dress in an appropriate manner, and take the car to the shop. Either I’ll wait while they change the oil or take their loaner. TBD. Afterwards, I need to run some errands and probably do some chores. All TBD. I’m all willy-nilly that way today! :smiley:

Happy Tuesday!

Up, caffeinated, off to work.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN 'Tis 74 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 90 and maybe rain this afternoon. It may have rained a very little bit last night, but far from the storms that were predicted. We need rain.

Nettie that’s a very impressive GPA! Like MOOOOOOM said, a high GPA could carry some weight with employers but what you can do with the degree is much more important. I graduated Magna Cum Laude way back in the dark ages. I have never included that on a resumè.

Ok, that’s all I got. I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, alas and alack, irk purtification must commence. Rah.

Happy Tuesday Y’all!

Og, two Mondays in a row. :frowning:

The car is at the shop and I have a loaner, so I’m home. They’ve got a new policy that you sign a waiver or something when you get the loaner, since someone recently totaled one of them. I wish others who used them would put some damned gas in the tank! The one I’ve got had a low fuel light illuminated, so I put a couple of gallons in. I’ll only put 10 miles on it, but I refuse to drive it back on fumes.

Anyway, now I just wait for the call that it’s ready. Since no one was at the shop but the service writer, I figure it’ll be a couple of hours at least.

Okay, I didn’t know. I learned that from another thread here recently, actually.

:slight_smile:

See, this board is educational. :slight_smile: Seriously, I’ve learned a lot here.

I’m back from going out for coffee. I’m back to work on the music arrangement. I’ve been getting a lot of work done on it, so yay. :slight_smile:

I must work on crafts today too. Got a craft fair coming up next month. (At first, I accidentally almost typed “rat fair”! I don’t know if that would be as fun.)

Happy Toosday!

It’s a nice sunny, breezy, 72 right now, gonna get up to a hot 85.

The front postage stamp has been mowed.
Now I need some breakfast and a shower.

I really want to skip today - I feel crappy - but since I just had a 4 day weekend that’s poor form.

Caught crabs yesterday morning, earliest trip in years (for us). About 2 dozen in 2 hours. Very windy, uncomfortable trip.

Oh well. Happy Montuesday!

And advertised it on the World Wide Webfooted.

Ohhhh - you meant the seafood version; that makes more sense. I caught crabs once but wind didn’t play into the equation at all. :wink:
We’re doing this odd conversion at work today. Certain palates are changing. For example, the packages that used to be C-13 are now going to be E-40. To accomplish this conversion and not slow the Fulfillment Centers, they came up with a label having the new location in small numbers and letters below the large ones. Which means today we have to start going by the small ones instead of the large ones. While packages shoot through sort-slide and pick-off at the rate of about 70-140 per minute depending on exactly which station you are on. Predictions are that much confusion and frustration will commence.

YAWN I am allegedly “learnin’” stuff on a webinar. I hate that word! I’m also supposed to do some “on-line trainin’” over the next couple of weeks with deadlines even. I haven’t learned a thing so far and don’t expect to over the next couple of weeks. ICK! Tomorrow I shall be in the far south forty all day.

Midget I bet Nuts would enjoy a “rat fair.” :smiley:

I just saw on fb that our herbs has passed away. I will miss her cheerfulness and friendship, and insights into life in New Mexico.

Fly high Ruthie, may your spirit be in peace.

That is sad news

Aw, man, how sad! She was such a sweet lady. :frowning:

Just saw it, too. I’m so sad for her family. She was an awfully nice person.