The sick Dopers sympathy and comisseration thread

Preach it, sistah! My 16-month-old has been sick since last week. He had a 102+ temp and still has a runny nose. Were it not for Dimetapp, humidifier and Vicks, he’d be even more miserable than he already is.

Robin

Oh, babysick has me beat by yards. I’ll be taking my AlkaSeltzer quietly for the rest of the day.

Get well wishes for the li’l one, Robin.

Thanks, moi. He’s feeling better, but is still pretty cranky. Aaron was left with a nagging cough and a runny nose. He’s been pretty resistant to having anyone wipe his nose, and we haven’t even bothered trying to clear it with a syringe. It would waste our time and piss him off to no end. The cough is related to the runny nose, so all we can do is try to dry him out with the Dimetapp.

Poor little guy. I wish I could take his cold away. :frowning:

Robin

Poor little Aaron.

As for me, I’ve had a bad flu/cold twice in the last two months, and I now have stopped up sinuses and itchy (inside) ears. I hope, hope, hope I’m not going to be really sick again.

Took my temperature again and now it’s only 97°.

I think I know the cure for what ails me: 1. get a new themometer, or 2. stop taking my temperature.

OK I’ve been out sick for a week now - fever coughing aching, stuffy, can’t rest cause when I lie down I drown… Flu, right? lots of rest, plenty of fluids, got it. I finally broke down and went to the doctor this morning (if for nothing more to shut my mother up :rolleyes:).

Severe Bronchial Infection - can’t go back to work until at least Friday, and that’s only if I’m good and my fever stays down. Out of work for a week and a half and no suntan or souvenirs or surgeries? This is not like me.

Good news, though. Doc gave me an asthma inhaler which was direct mailed from heaven. I can breathe! Without the whiny whistly sounds! And 12 hour, narcotic cough syrup. Pure Ambrosia. Everythings nice and fuzzy and damn, they should pass this stuff out with the coffee every morning!

(And good luck with the kidney stone!! I’m so sorry. I’ve been plagued by them. I’ve found something that helps, in addition to follow your Doc’s instructions to the letter. Drink lots of unfiltered apple juice or apple cider. The cloudy juice helps soften the spurs on the stones so they’ll pass quicker. Good Luck!!)

DeVena, you are so right about the inhaler! I’ve been using one that the doctor gave me last time I was sick (had a “minor cough” for six months that turned out to be Reactive Airway Disease), and it really does help get the air moving. I’ve been trying to avoid the cough syrup but will probably take some tonight.

I hope that my fellow Dopers and their Doperkids are all on the mend. In the meantime, pass me a cup of that chiken soup it smells yummy! Anyone need a tissue? I’ve got the super soft Puffs lotiony kind, so help yourselves.

Amy’s No-Chicken Soup smells like farts.

I’m getting a stye. That’s about all I can complain about. I feel lucky.

I felt Goofy and got kicked out of Disneyland.

Aaron’s doing better. His nose is still runny but he’s not coughing as much. His mood has improved, along with his appetite.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Robin

At least I’m finding this whole thing educating. I thought flu was the barf-your-brains-out sickness, and I don’t have that. I have the persistent low-grade fever, barking cough, body-aches, exhausted as a wet noodle sickness. I went home from work feeling badly Thursday at noon and finally went back to work this morning because I’m no longer running a fever. They watched me (from a distance) for about an hour alternately laying my head on my desk and barking like a German Shepherd, until my boss sent me home.

Now I feel shaky and exhausted from the effort of getting there and back, so I finally called my doctor’s office and spoke to the nurse. Turns out I do have the flu. Since I’m not running a fever and may be on the mend, they asked that I wait a day to see if I don’t get better (they’re swamped, apparently). They made an appointment for me for Thursday afternoon, so if I’m not better by then off I’ll go.

I’m supposed to be out all of Christmas week for vacation, so not being able to work this week is extremely inconvenient. I’m doing what I can from home, but I’m so wasted it’s not much. My choir’s big Christmas concert is this Saturday (two performances). I have no voice left so I can’t sing anyway, but I’d like to participate if I could only shake this. More importantly, I’m supposed to be on a plane on Sunday to go to Arizona for the holidays with my whole family. If I don’t feel any better than this by then, I don’t think I’ll be able to manage going. I do NOT want to spend Christmas alone in my apartment.

Time to lie down again . . . . .

Had my first day back at work yesterday after 10 days off with flu. I came in one last week as I felt better in the morning but the effort of walking up the car park to the office wiped me out. I came in the door my manager took one look at me and pointed me in the direction of the door. Being sick sucked big time - I had a 102 deg fever, everything ached, my hair hurt so I didn’t brush it for 4 days, I went through 5 boxes of tissues, had earache and a sore throat and varied from not being so hot that I stripped off to my underwear and having the air conditioning on with freezing temperatures outside to have the heat turned up to 85 degs and being in bed with fleece PJ’s, jumpers and bedsocks and still being cold. I was not well at all. I am still tired now - I was in bed at 8.30pm last night but I starting to get my appetite back now.

Keep warm and well everyone.

I’ve had pneumonia since October, and I only found out about it last weekened, when I got fed up with my HMO-approv9ide Health Care Provider.

Misery does indeed love company. Yesterday I came down with the flu.
Every joint and muscle in my body aches, coughing, sneezing, runny nose and nothing is staying in my stomach. The doctor gave me some stuff that’s supposed to help the nausea so maybe that’ll help.
This is wretched. I can’t remember feeling this completely wiped out before. I’m at the computer because I’ve been in bed for umpteen hours so I should probably get up for at least a little while but I’m getting really shaky.
Blech. I’d have to die to feel better.

The flu marches on I guess.
I’m home, I put on some thermal underwear, sweatpants, t shirt, sweatshirt, and I am still COLD. Worse, I’m on vacation, my precios vaction… and haven’t left home in 3 days.

Can’t compare to those kidney stones though, or the 2 month pneumonia.

Surely 101.8 must be a fever.

Today I’m actually feeling a bit better, with a few bright spots of utter misery, but my voice is completely gone. I’ve been creaking ominously at the cats in the hopes of getting them to stop misbehaving, but somehow that doesn’t impress them.

whispered rasp My tea. My tea! Myyy. . . aw, bother. Never mind. picks up cat, puts cat elsewhere, collapses for a half-hour from the effort

Bloody flu.

(Jodi: apparently there’s a distinction between the stomach flu (the barf-brains-out thing) and the flu-flu. Flu-flu is an influenza virus, and stomach flu is more a description of the effect than the cause. Things I find while glowering at lists of symptoms while completely hazed out.)

I’ve got a really bad case of the flu. And I mean real bad. The kined that makes you faint while taking a shower. I also have a new job. Yay for me, I can’t miss work my second week! So now I’m sick, feeling like I’m under God’s heel and I get to learn about a finance job, when my major was engineering. Why did I have to get sick this week?

Damn Murphy.

So far I’ve avoided the flu (although you folks write about it so eloquently, I can almost feel a cough coming on), but can I bitch about being pregnant w/twins? I haven’t felt “good” in 8 months, am almost as big around as I am tall, and have developed gestational diabetes so I can’t even eat fun stuff to pass the time (the acid reflux doesn’t help, either). Every inch of me is either swollen, itchy, achy, or smells funny. And of course I’m horny as all get-out (you can imagine how appealing I am at the moment). Plus my helpful relatives tease me constantly about how much work lies ahead, which is really fun to dwell on given that it takes me a full 90 seconds to roll over in bed.

Speaking of which, I can’t sleep, which is why I now post in the wee hours of the morning when the server’s really fast (hey, everything has its upside).

I feel like a giant advertisement for birth control.

So my nose is runny. It’s a nice big, red, swollen nose thanks to the flu. So I decide to put some cream on it. I do. Burning like hell sensation ensues. Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
I check the label. "Ingredients: water, etc, etc, etc, ALCOHOL.

Damn fck sht crap.