The truly great threads in SDMB history

From Photg in 2003 comes the saga of the Mad Wiper, which has to be one of the great unresolved cliffhangers in SDMB history. Sadly, Photog hasn’t posted since 2004, so perhaps we’ll never know how it played out.

It’s the right time of year to link to this one that gets bumped every year in the great annual SDMB holiday tradition:

“Rudolph” T.V. special

I freely admit that it may be jumping the gun to include This turkey was killed by hand with a sharp knife before it has run its course, but it’s an excellent example of how these “great threads” come into being.

Please add anything else that this thread is missing in terms of keeping track of the real jewels.

Here’s another one that’s in progress but that exemplifies what it takes to be (IMO) a “truly great” thread: If I my play double’s advocate: where everyone posting just grabbed onto the unspoken “theme” and went wild with it.

If there are others such threads that meet your own criteria for “greatness” please link to them.

I’ve always been partial to this classic thread by the adorable John Carter of Mars.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=212249&highlight=Bubba+Mail+order+bride

Well, OOPS…guess I should have said that this is the thread about Bubba the beekeeper and his mail order bride.

I don’t know how it hasn’t been mentioned yet (I couldn’t find it anyway) but it just got bumped and it must be mentioned! Weird toys you vaguely remember is a nostalgia goldmine. Bravo, NoClueBoy! This one was started within days of my arrival at SDMB: 06-20-2003, 01:16 PM.

The one that got me to join was one about measuring how big a wedding ring is by stuffing it up your nose. The OP had shoved his up his nose and gotten it stuck. Other curious posters soon were shoving their rings up their noses and reporting on it.

I laughed so hard I almost peed in my pants. I stumbled upon it randomly as I was researching competitor banking information at work.

ETA: I’m sorry no linky - I haven’t had my coffee yet and a quick search hasn’t yielded anything.

Well, there’s at least I stuck my wedding ring up my nose started 09-04-2003, 07:40 AM by jjimm

That the one?

Why, yes it is. So you were the one who inadvertently got me to join the SDMB!

Starts of wierd and then takes a sharp left turn.

I stood next to the Emperor of the world at McDonald’s by Sauron

Moo! I love that one.

One I just discovered:

Ten years of the Dope: a history
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Rhythmdvl

#231 12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
TubaDiva

Here’s a good list I’ve compiled:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/search.php?searchid=8036397

So all those are “truly great”?

Well, if you downgrade some from “awesomely great” then yeah.

Broken link? No matches.

Sorry to bump the zombie again, but reading the Very Vaguely Creepy thread is very interesting from a time-period standpoint. That is, I’ll be reading posts about “omg such-and-such commercial is so creepy!!” and I’m thinking “people, I have no idea what ads you’re talking about, LINK TO THE DAMN VID- oh wait YouTube wasn’t around yet.”*

And then I think “…YOUTUBE WASN’T AROUND YET.”

My tiny mind, it is blown.

*Yes, I know I could technically do a search on said video site, but I don’t want to because of…reasons.

That’s a great idea for a spinoff thread: What all has come along since SDMB started? It doesn’t take long in those “nostalgia themed” threads before somebody confesses to no idea of the subject being discussed. Not all that surprising when you examine the polls that ask How old are you? or other age-oriented questions.