The weather forecast MMP

Today, we will get the weather forecast for the rest of winter from the Seer of Seers, the Sage of Sages, the Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary. That’s right, Punxsutawney Phil will be grabbed by the scruff of his neck & pulled from the stump atop Gobbler’s Knob. Don’t laugh, he’s at least as good as those guys on TV. :rolleyes: That’s right, today is Groundhog Day!!! :smiley:

Punxsutawney, PA will get it’s one day of fame for the year today. If you’ve never been, you should go once. Why? Northwestern PA…middle of winter…let’s do an outdoor festival! :smack:

The bars close at two, you’re out of them by 2:30, & you’re in luck because the gates open at 3am. By the time of festivities around 7:30 am, the crowd of tens of thousands has an average BAC of about .12 (yes, average includes those who haven’t had anything.) But don’t worry, they’re not drunk, just filled with anti-freeze. :wink:
Comedians to warm up the crowd, beach balls being batted around, & one of the few (if not the only) place in the world to have pre-dawn fireworks. After the festivities head back into town for one of the many pancake breakfasts, grab a souvenir or two & then [del]pack up & leave[/del] get the 'ell out of town.

Ruble, it’s not far from you; (how many times) have you been?

Today’s pre-hijack topics:

1. If your early enough, what’s you’re prediction for whether he’ll see his shadow or not.
  2. What unique events/festivals have you been to/recommend that we attend?

First! W00t!

1. No, but if he does, chuck 4 lbs. of C4 down the hole.
  2. The Kilt Run is coming up on March 7th. Nothing like 10k+ inebriated people trying to run in kilts in cold weather. :smiley:
  1. 2nd
  2. Still 2nd
  3. +1 after 2nd
  4. Will not see his shadow.
  5. Punkin Chunkin. More if I think of them. It’s late.

3rd.
No shadow. The one that means more Winter. That one. I volunteer to hibernate.

Da Vinci days in Corvallis, OR are pretty fun.

He can’t possibly see his shadow; there’s a snowstorm on.

Also, I am up at this ungodly hour because of insomnia. :mad:

Our local hippy cinema is celebrating today by playing the film Groundhog Day, 3 times, back to back.

I like that place, it’s silly.

How do they know if he sees his shadow? Surely, even if his shadow is visible, he might not be paying attention, or may be looking up at the at pretty clouds or something. I know if I get dragged out of bed on a freezing February morning, looking at shadows is not my first priority.

He’s a small animal, does he even know what a shadow is and why he should be looking at it?

I go to a lot of music festivals, they’re all unique in their own way so of course you should go to all of them.

In true Groundhog Day style, I will be getting up tomorrow moring in the dark and the cold. Just like I did today and just like I will every other day this week. I’m more concerned about making it from bed to lightswitch without falling over a cat.

Is groundhog like minced pork?

Monday night, time for bed having survived moanday but got Tuesday to get through.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffienatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 63 Amurrkin out and cloudy/rainy. That is the high for the day. After the rain clears out the temp will drop to 55 accordin’ to the weather PTB.

A [del]sausage[/del] groundhog would not see its shadow this mornin’ where I am. So I’m guessin’ we’ll have only a month and a half left of Winter as opposed to six weeks more. :smiley: Plus, since it is ground hawg day, we shall celebrate by havin’ snausage 'n bizkits, grits, and scrambled aigs for dindin tonight.

There are several little festivals around heah that can be kind of a hoot. Mule Days brings us a parade of dressed up mules. The Mayhaw Festival celebrates a berry grown in swamps. Actually, mayhaw jelly is pretty good. Yeah, we go wild in the swamps.

Ok, that’s all I got. I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, alas and alack, irk purtification must commence. Le Sigh.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Happy Sausage Day!!

I’s exhausted and I can’t believe I’m up. Last night, I couldn’t turn my brain off, and that coupled with itchy, dry skin kept me tossing and turning till nearly midnight. Waking at 5 was not ideal. I tried going back to sleep after **FCD **left, but I’m wired to be up this early - maybe I’ll try to snooze in a bit.

It’s 50° in our yard - I was amazed when I let the dog out. We’ll be sub-freezing tonight, but for now, it’s spring-like, plus rainy. My big plans include running a load of underwear thru the wash. Yep, it’s that kind of day…

As for events/festivals - even if you’re not a biker, if you have a chance to see Bike Week, you should. The people-watching alone is pretty amazing! And if you’re into beer and loud, obnoxious crowds and revving bikes, you’ll be in heaven!

When I was in college, there was the annual Feast of the Hunter’s Moon in West Lafayette, IN. People in 18th century garb doing 18th century stuff (craft demos and such) plus historical re-enactments and food and stuff for sale. I only went once, but I really enjoyed it. My one regret - there was a guy selling dulcimers and I wanted one, but at the time, $200 was a lot of money to me, so I didn’t buy it. I wish I had. Oh well.

We watched the football game last night, and I was really disappointed at the ads. Nothing stood out, altho I did miss some, so maybe I missed the good ones. **FCD **was bummed - he wanted the Pats to lose. I thought the fight breaking out in the last seconds was stupidly childish. On the other hand, I got a lot of knitting done, so there’s that.

Happy Moanday!

Blurf.

No shadow for the wickedly fat marmot here… sun ain’t up yet.

ETA: I wonder if that dolt of a mayor from NYC is going to drop his groundhog and kill another one this year…

Almost -40 degrees with the wind chill here this morning. I have 2 heaters and multiple layers on and it’s still cold.

Morning all. Its currently in the upper 40s (American, of course), which will be high for the day. I thought the wind was going to blow me off the road on the ride in to work, but I made it in one piece. Feeling much blurf

Still sick. I’m going to venture out to do laundry and then venture back home to collapse. I was so wiped out last night I slept through the end of the Superbowl party right above my bedroom.

In related news, the Patriots suck.

I’ve never been able to figure out if they’re saying winter will last “another 6 weeks” means that winter lasts another 6 weeks from the date of Groundhog Day (which would be a pretty typical winter, so who needs a groundhog?), or that there’ll be an *additional *6 weeks tacked on to the end of the normal winter period. I’m inclined to the latter, since the former would imply winter ending on Groundhog Day, and that’ll never, ever, happen.

We had a pleasant weather surprise. Saturday was supposed to be wet and Sunday to be pouring, not good for fast, performance drving on a closed road course but most all the rain hit the evening inbetween and Sunday turned out to be clear, sunny and gorgeous. There were some serious contenders out there, lots of full blown race cars, a McLaren, Aston Martin, a bunch of GT3 RSs, etc so it was a kick in the pants just to walk around the pits and talk to other drivers, some of whom had been doing this for years.

It’s cold today, 33 or so which is chilly for us thin blooders but very welcome. Bring it on!

I don’t know about Phil, but Malverne Mel and Holtsville Hal won’t be seeing any shadows today, that’s for dayam sure. Staten Island Chuck probably won’t either.
I hate Winter only slightly less than I hate Summer.
also, nasty Wintry-mix flavored blurf.

You are consistent, I will say that for you. :slight_smile:

Getting back to the OP… as for special events and festivals I’ve been to, well, we have a whole lot of them here in Montreal. There’s the jazz festival, the orchestra festival, the huge Osheaga music festival, various special concerts… and that’s just what I’ve been to last year! Always something to do here in Montreal. I love my city so much.

The Woodstock IL groundhog will see his shadow because the sun is bright and shiny. Granted, there is 17 inches of snow on the ground, the temp is 10 with minus 15 windchills and no. Illinois is basically shut down. I’m home from irk and supposedly irking from home. I’m kinda bored.