Things people in the US are absolutely sure of but are completely unproven.

That more us get our news from ABC News than from any other source.

That God is on our side.

That Velveeta is a cheese.

“The American way of life in not negotiable”

I’m certain that…
If you ever
travel West.
Travel my way,
Take the
Highway,
that’s the best…
Get your kicks
On Route 66

:cool:

Spelling.

American dictionaries have a discriminatory policy against zed’s and u’s. (Yes, it IS ZED and not ZEE you know!!)

For most of us it is victimiZe/rationaliZe and coloUr/favoUr. But youse buggers have screwed it all up with victimiSe and colOr. Now Word tries to correct me every time I use the Queens English!

Die Yankee Dogmatism

Americans spell victimize v-i-c-t-i-m-i-z-e and we spell rationalize r-a-t-i-o-n-a-l-i-z-e. You must be thinking of another country?

We do omit the U from color, honor, flavor, etc.

You do know you can change your language settings to use the Queen’s English, don’t you…?

The average person thinks that TV advertising has no effect on them. This thread has sure shown that to be a fallacy.

Myth One:

Anyone, if they work hard enough, can become rich and famous in America.
Myth Two:

Rich and famous people would give it all away in a second to enjoy the true happiness of the poor.

Aliens

Muskrat love

That’s the Brits who prefer s to z. Americans like ZEEs just fine. Remember, Zed’s dead baby, Zed’s dead.

“You’re in good hands with Allstate”

(unless you happen to lose your home in a hurricane in Florida, in which case, you’re on your own.)

Well-more like the direction in which I nudged the thread until galen could come back and reclaim his thread. Alas, he never did, so who knows what the hell the OP actually said?
:smiley:

If you build it, they will come…

What the world really needs is another Friday the 13th sequel.

I think that Jesus is widely assumed to be an American.

Having more prisoners than any other country in the world is a good thing.

That we know what the hell the OP actually said.
:smiley:

Not only is “zed” dead, but it actually comes from French. From taking this French linguistics course, I wonder if English originally had any words of its own. Half it’s vocabulary came from French, the rest from German!

As well we should. For do you know what the Latin (nominative) word for color is? Why it’s color.
What’s the Latin (nominative) word for honor? Why it’s honor.

Of course now this post doesn’t fit in this thread.

We spell relief R-O-L-A-I-D-S. And our hotdogs have both first and last names.

Of course English and German are very closely related and many words though they may sound the same have the same origin in pre-500 times.