Things you did for the first time as a grown-up: an adult-erated MMP

This thread celebrates the things we did for the first time as an adult. Sex doesn’t count. :smiley:

When I was a kid, other kids had to be forced – cajoled – pleaded to mow the yard. I begged to mow the yard. “Please, let me mow the yard!” was a frequently heard refrain at my house. Now, I was the only child of an only child, and was raised by my maternal grandparents: my grandpa was not only overprotective, but he thought there were things only boys/men should do. The military was one: I wanted to be a chaplain in the Army when I grew up, and he told me the military was not for young ladies. Mowing the lawn was another. Not only did he think that girls shouldn’t do yard work, but because I was not a graceful child, he was afraid I’d run over my foot and chop off an appendage. So I never got to mow the yard.

(small break to change battery in daughter’s insulin pump)

As I got older, I got bigger and more out of shape. It came to a point where I was lucky if I got out of the chair at home. I’d go to work, but would not move from my desk for most of the day. I crept up to 398 pounds. Mowing the lawn was the last thing from my mind.

Then I started dieting, exercising and losing weight. The difference in my energy level is amazing. I’ve only dropped 85 pounds so far, but I can do a lot of things I’d never done before. Like mowing the lawn.

So tonight, hubby and I went outside. We pulled out the electric hedge trimmers (that I had no clue we even possessed) and hit the hedge in front of the house. I was laughing so much and having such a good time. Then, while hubby got the leaf blower to play with, I grabbed the lawn mower.

He gave me quick instructions, and I was off. At 46 years of age, I mowed the front yard for the first time in my life. And it felt good. It was much easier after I got the hang of it all. The one thing I couldn’t get the hang of was starting the darn thing. That’s saved for next time.

I came in and took a nice cold shower. So, grandpa: I love you so much, but I finally got to mow the yard. And I didn’t lose any appendages. :smiley:

First to reply! w00t!!

Does putting out fires and running ambulance count? Those were made possible by a gastric bypass and a triple digit weight loss. Turned me into a real stud muffin… :wink:

I didn’t learn how to swim until I was an adult. I just never learned as a cublet. Anywho, I learned to swim at the Y in an adult swimmin’ class. I liked it so much, twenty years later I put me in a cee-mint pond right in the back yahd! :smiley:

Annie first I’m glad you did not run over your foot. :stuck_out_tongue: Second, I await in eager anticipation the revelation that mowin’ da yahd ain’t that much fun after all.

I was 23 when I got my ears pierced for the first time. Does that count?

Annie - I congratulate you for the 85 you’ve lost so far - trust me, I know how hard it is, having been obese or most of my life except for a brief period 12 years ago when I got within 20 lbs of getting under 200. I got back up to almost 400 over the next several years Now I, too, have lost over 80 pounds - and although I’ve hit a plateau (severe arthritis prevents me from finding the simple joy of being able to mow my own lawn, that and I never liked that chore anyway but you get what I mean, :wink: ) I know I will be successful this time around.

Yay for mowing for the first time, Annie!

Hmmm, things I did for the first time as an adult? I’m sure there was something, but it’s not coming back to me right away. I’ll have to owe you.

Am back in the knit position. How can the weekend be just about over???

But I just have to make it through this week and then I’m off for 10 days or so. So there’s that to look forward to.

Back later.

GT

Now, I still can’t swim. So you’ve got me beat! And I really enjoyed mowing the yard, BTW. I love outdoor stuff!

Yup! I got mine done when I was 12. And congrats to you too: 80 pounds! Wow!

Oh, heck yeah! How many of us get to do that? Triple digit weight loss? Outstanding!

GT, we’re patient. :smiley:

Annie: :smiley:

Forgot to congratulate you on the weight loss. That’s awesome!

GT

Annie, You’re awesome!
I think I was your imaginary friend when we were children. I started mowing our acre of lawn when I was 11. Then when I was 18, I went into the Air Force. I became a medic, rather a chaplin, but, close. :smiley:

Hubby is now smoke free for 6 days. Yay hubby. Unfortunately, he’s more short of breath. He’s not supposed to exert, he keeps trying… and failing. I’m so worried. Cardiology on Aug 11. I’m going to call tomorrow and see if they can move it up at all.

Bought a car.
Bought a house.
Cooked Thanksgiving dinner.
Got married.
Had kids.

It’s a very long list.

Umm ::blushes::

Had sex.

Congrats, Annie!

I’m with swampy, I didn’t learn to swim until I was about 25 because when I was a small child I was jumping up and down in the pool with my older cousin and I slipped and fell and nearly drowned. I’ve loved it since I learned, though.

I’m working on the weight loss thing, too. Some days are easier than others.

I was a Rocky Horror Picture Show virgin till this year. And I did it sober.:eek:

Congrats Ann!

Pool time didn’t start till 5, because it was 101 today. We also watched the Blues Brothers(my dad worked in the JC Pennys where they did the car chase).

Me too, AHunter3. Don’t worry about it. Also, getting drunk. I was a late bloomer, I suppose.

waves I’ve been lurking. Just not posting. I have no idea why not.

Dated.
Got my license (at 18, I believe).
I’m sure there’s more, but I can’t think of them.

I’ve bought the last of my ‘gifts’ - an ereader. I have $50 from an aunt that I’m going to give to my mother so she can get a new Dam troll - there’s a new Santa with Reindeer set that she’s been lusting over. She hasn’t bought a new troll in several years. She gave me the money from her retirement from her business, so I think she’s worth it. :smiley:

Haven’t posted to a MMP in a while but always read them and I really wanted to comment on this.

Tell the hubby to keep up the quiting! I’m sure you’ve heard it all but he’s past the hard part! Unless he’s patching the nicotine is already out of his system now it’s just finding stuff to do with his hands and mouth.

Aside from the good job keep quiting I also wanted to mention that when I quit my body hated me. I got plurisy and felt like junk. I’m hoping that on top of Cardiology issues that his body isn’t hating him also for the quiting.

When I told my doctor I thought the quiting was supposed to be a good thing and better for me she asked me what I expected. I polluted my body for so long with the smokes that things were going to go a bit haywire but to keep up the quiting.

And great job to those losing weight!

Damn, I didn’t know you needed a license for dating. So I was actually a criminal for many years.

Me, I didn’t learn to drive until 30, and never owned a house until 60.

A longtime friend of mine once told me, after finding out that I enjoyed watching The Wall and I did it completely sober (I’ve never been drunk or used other recreational drugs): “girl, I used to think the guys exaggerated when they said you’re weirder sober than other people drunk, but damn they were right!” It was meant as a compliment, promise; we were the kind of crowd where “normal” is an insult.

RHPS, watched it for the first time in my late 20s and it was on TV, so I’m sort of on second base with it.

Dated, but that’s cultural. In Spain one-on-one dates are just not a normal thing, you usually meet people being out in groups.

I’ve never seen Rocky Horror Picture Show. But Nava and I could see it together because I’ve never been drunk or used rec. drugs either. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m temping today… I’m kind of nervous about it, but it should be interesting. The good part is that it involves travel to lots of different locations.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffienatin’.

Good luck with the temp thang StickyBuns!

If RHPS counts, then I was 20 the first time I saw it and I was semi-sober. Really. It was only a slight buzz. Also I have a confession. I have seen it several times and while it was fun, I was not all that impressed. I’m all been there, done that, bought the tshirt (I did, really!) don’t need to again.