To counterbalance: Commercials you love.

They’re running one for Sarah Silverman’s show where she’s written a note to her dog and taped it up over the dog’s bowl saying she’ll be back soon. Then they cut to the dog, and I just wanna sqeeze him up! Poor doggie! No dinner! You come here to Knead, he’ll make you somethin’ to eat. Yes he will. Yes he will. Who’s a good doggie? Who’s a goo–

Oh, y’all are still here, huh?

Okay. C’mon, doggie, let’s go in the other room!

The Burger King ad in which Krusty the Klown begs viewers not to buy Whoppers. “I’m going broke! I’ve got seven alimonies!”

Immediately after seeing it, I declared it the best ad ever without boobies.

Knead, that’s much like how I react to Sarah Silverman.

I also like the Meth ads (well…maybe not like, but was convinced to never try meth ever. Not even once. Not even a little).

And of course, all the cute dog ones mentioned here.

To combine those two, there’s a marijuana ad that uses a dog talking to a girl. I know that marijuana isn’t horrible and that it doesn’t make you hallucinate (may have been the explanation for why the dog is talking), but it was adorable. And yes, if my dog said I wasn’t being a good friend to him, I’d stop smoking marijuana.

Similarly, I like the BK ad in which real people are transformed by the Simpsons aliens into various Simpsons characters. I especially like the prenatal Ralphie Wiggum and Otto the school bus driver.

I like those too.

My favorites are:

The Cheerios commercial where the grandfather is talking about taking a cholesterol test w/ his young grandson; I love the how impressed the kid’s face shows he is when the man tells him the score he’s shooting for.

I also like the ad where the father is attaching photos of the six-or-so son to an email to send to the grandparents, and tells the boy that he’s sending him. A few seconds later the kid runs in, the father says “Back already?” and the kid says, "I told you I was a superhero.*

Perversely, I like the anti-smoking commercials, especially the one where the little girl is talking about her mom, who died from smoking, and says she tried experiencing her mom’s difficulty in breathing by holding her breath but couldn’t. At some point, it shows a picture of the mother and when she died. If I were still a smoker, this one would make me quit.**

• I have father issues, okay.

** I have mother issues, okay.

I really like the Target ads. Just cute songs playing and great graphic and camera work featuring some of their merchandise. They don’t scream, “Buy a Target!” but I know immediately it’s a Target ad when one comes on. They actually make me happy for a little bit.

There used to be a PSA for some Native American-oriented charity that ran several years ago, haven’t seen in in at least 10 years. While the narrator describes the work the organization does, scenes from a powwow are shown. The last scene is of a baby in a cradleboard, crying, until a little boy about 2 or 3 years old walks over with a baby bottle and begins to feed him(her?). Now that was an “awww” moment.

Another commercial I like with a baby in it is the Pampers commercial with the baby girl dancing to KC and the Sunshine Band at the grown-up party.

A few of my favorites have both been Bud Light commercials, oh well.

This one, where the “fist bump” is replaced by a slap in the face. Innapropriate slapping makes me giggle sometimes.

Another great one that I only saw once went something like this:

A guy is eating some Chinese take out, a while later you hear him getting the bubble guts. He peeks out side his office, and sees nobody nearby. He then sits back in his chair and lets out the equivalent of diarrhea in vapor form. He smiles in victory.
Just then, all of his coworkers come in with a cake with candles on it and say “Happy Bir…” as their faces fall in horror.

Hehe, while looking for a video clip of this one, I came across a similarly themed ad.

Messin’ With Sasquatch

Always good for a laugh.

Yeah, they have some decent cranversations. I like some others, but cran’t think of what they are right now. I should ask my cranmother.

Oh, my favorite Target commercial is the “Tidy Cats” one where all the cats are dressed up like hip-hop singers. There’s nothing better than a cat wearing BLING. Nothing!

I have tremendous love for Dow Chemical’s “The Human Element” commercial. Between the strings, the landscapes, and the beautiful images of people, it’s almost enough to make me forget about their history of industrial accidents.

Which is, of course, what they were going for.

But I still love the commercial.

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3byt7xMSCA&search=human%20element

My all-time favorite commercial - for Schmidt Beer:

Western saloon- patrons are terrified and skedaddle because “Big Jim’s comin’!”. Big, mean guy with beard storms in and nervous bartender serves him a Schmidt Big Mouth Barrel. “Would you like another? It’s on the house.”

“You kiddin’? Big Jim’s comin’!”

Honorable mention:

Couple is having breakfast when sleepy neighbor in bathrobe from upstairs knocks on door and asks to borrow a bar of (Coast) soap. Later, couple hears whoops of delight coming from upstairs shower. (My friends and I are nudging each other - “what’s he doing with that soap, eh?”) Husband looks out of window upward and a blob of white goo lands on his forehead (My friends and I explode with laughter).

And I never saw that commercial again.

I like the one with the dad & son and the dad has all these piercings and is talking about getting some tattoos so they can be all ready to go to Burning Man, and his normal-looking son is sitting there being miserably embarrassed by his dad and says “I hate my life.”

The dad cracks me up. I can’t even remember what the product is. Probably a cellphone or something.

I like Erin Esurance. She’s hot, and goes on all kinds of exciting adventures!

I remember a Stroh’s Beer commercial from around the 1980s. This guy is showing off how smart his dog, Alex, is. He sends Alex to the kitchen to fetch a couple Stroh’s for himself and his friend. You hear sounds of bottles being opened. “He’s opening yours. Now he’s opening mine.” Then you hear the beer being poured. “He’s pouring yours. Now he’s pouring mine.” Then you hear the dog make lapping noises.

“Alex, you’d better be drinking your water!”

In general, the funnier and better ad, the worse the product. Geico is a crap insurance company. Sonic is no better than a number of FF restaurants.

Target seems to be an exception.

Well, there’s nothing wrong with Snickers (the candy bar), and I love this ad.

My favorite is one of the LDS commercials from over 10 years ago, so some details are slightly fuzzy. Unfortunately, my YouTube-fu is not up to finding it, so no link. First scene is a husband and wife fighting. Next she is at school, talking angrily to a kid in the hallway (I think giving him detention). Next she opens the door to her classroom, where we see her husband writing 100 times on the blackboard how sorry he is about the fight.