To the curly, blonde-haired girl.....

I feel compelled to say that you’ll actually do something when you have the confidence personally to be able to endure possible rejection. If you believe that you’re not being a dork, and that there are other women who would in fact give much more than the time of day, your fear will lessen. If she can’t damage your ego by emitting to-away vibes, you have very little to lose.

Plus, guys who are casually confident do much better with women anyway.

I mean that I know I was pretty repeating myself, but if no one else is going to point out my marvelous post, I’ll have to do it myself.

Wow, I must have been pretty tired when I typed that stuff above. I hope it can be deciphered.

In my years and YEARS of marginal relational experience, I’ve discovered the following:

That halo of light and chiors of angels singing aroung the girl are all in your head. She has bad breath, bed head, the occasional zit and can kill a bathroom just like you can.

There, I’ve deflated her a little, go talk to her.

Unintentionally “Married with twins, I musta done something right” Blank

It seems that I was not the only 22-year-old who, at the sight of knees-to-jelly beauty, devloped a peculiar nervous syndrome called “brainnumbifiosis”. Its symptoms do include instant shyness, but also include tongue paralyzation, heart palpitations, numerous other nasty “-ations”, inability to form an intelligible sentence, or sudden stammering and speaking gibberish.

Now that I’m a decade older, the shyness factor has been sent packing. I also have found that it’s better to bet flat-out rejected than to sit back and ask “what if”… it’s much less painful. So take a chance next time Jim :slight_smile:

All you want, and all you need:

Nicholas Boothman: How to make anyone like you in 30 seconds or less. A nice, simple, inexpensive book available on Amazon and everywhere.

Word of warning - some posters have referred to various web sites devoted to the subject of ‘speed seduction’. Avoid at all costs. Reason #1, all such sites just serve to prove the old equation that ego + testosterone + self-delusion = stupid web sites. Reason #2, show me a woman who can be ‘speed seduced’ and I’ll show you a woman not worth seducing. In relationships as in anything else, quality takes time.

Now you’ve got it! :wink:

As so many people have said, go talk to her (or to Copper_moon for that matter). She may well be perfectly willing to chat; it’s not like you’re asking her for a lifetime commitment. If she’s not interested, all you’ve really lost is the chance for a pleasant chat in the bookstore.

I quite often try striking up a conversation with total strangers, and succeed most of the time.

My philosophy is to treat people like people.

women dont usually like to be ‘fauned’ over

Just be kind curtious and yourself. A good way to talk to any person is to observe their habits, what is she reading, what is she wearing, how does she carry herself? There are many other things too, the key here is to do it transparently, and not gawkingly. Discuss the book she is reading or her fashion sense or some other playcating complement.

Just relax and dont think of her as anything special and treat her right you would treat any other kind person. If you click you click. If not you at least contained your dignity.

-x out

Which one? :confused:

How am I doing? (shy smile) Welllll, I’m doing great . . . and I’m also old . . . er than you by almost a decade, very married and the mom of three little boys.

BUT! I love clandestine conversations at B&N, the bank, or anywhere else for that matter. I wouldn’t say I like to be “fauned over” but being brought up as an antisocial bitch, it was a real eye-opener when I met my husband who makes friends with everyone in 3 seconds flat. I couldn’t believe it when he could talk to the cashier at McDonalds and learn all about his/her family. I am a changed woman. I love to talk to people and yes, even do a little flirting. Most people, even the antisocial ones, are charmed by someone noticing them and talking to them and will return the conversation. So my advice is to talk to everybody and it will start to feel natural. That way when the beautiful-girl-from-afar moment happens you’ll be experienced at making conversation.

Oh and trust me, that girl is probably kicking herself too. Opening a conversation with a stranger is hard to do but it can be learned. If I can do it anyone can.

So (another small shy smile and eye contact) tell me more about yourself. Instead of coming off as lame you really sound kind of sweet. What are you doing at B&N at night on a regular basis? Are you a student or do you just like to read? Hmm?

** Copper_moon**, just out of curiousity, what part of Texas are you from?

Jimmy.
Judging from your observations of the girl at B&N, what immediately came to my mind is that she is a blood thirsty killer. She probably goes to these stores only to lure young gentelmen, just like yourself! Once she has you hooked, she’ll take you out to the countryside to “enjoy some moonlight” or to “watch the stars” or maybe “go parking” even. Then its all over for you buddy. We’d see your picture on a milk carton soon enough. Its a good thing you didn’t succumb to her wiles.

Wow! The Fast Seduction Message Board! Who needs the Pit when you’ve got this! See you never! I’m outta here!

:smiley:

I can’t believe after all this great advice, that you actually got a second chance and froze again. The pain is pouring off the page (or screen, as it were). Some people are wired to meet strangers and establish friendships in mere seconds, and others cannot do it easily or at all. Hopefully, you’ll have a third chance and you’ll throw caution to the wind and strike up a conversation. You never know, once she figures out that you like her, she may carry the conversation for both of you until you feel more comfortable. Maybe someday you’ll look back and laugh about it. Go for it. If you fail you’ll have nothing less than you have now. You have only to gain. Good luck.

Chocolate Kix, around the Houston area. How about you? “Texicaliasiana” is a little confusing. Is it around the Louisiana border?

Jimmy,
I suggest you attempt to sell her fish… :wink:

Actually Copper_moon, I go to school in California, and have a father in New Orleans and a Mother in El Paso, so in general I consider my location ubiquitous, much like Jesus or Gary Coleman… I’m actually going to Houston in a coupla weeks.

It wasn’t quite a second chance, really. The first time I saw her there she was out in the bookstore proper, leisurely reading the WSJ on a bench and later a novel. This time she seemed to be hunched over some paperwork. I really doubt she was out for fun this time, but perhaps that’s just what I’m telling myself. :wink:

Yeah, I told you about that “talking to yourself” crap. The more you believe yourself, the less likely you’re gonna talk to her. Friday, I may just have to go drag you over to her and make you talk to her. (Unless she really is some sort of a psycho murderer, as mentioned by purgepro)

Just a quick update for those keeping score. Before today, I’d seen the CBHG a total of 3 times since I practically live at this bookstore. I’d never gone up to her to say hello or anything at all. I just noticed her there and one time she walked past me, noticed me in her peripheral vision (or so it seemed) and stopped to browse some books very close to where I was. I might be reading too much into that, though.

Anyway, here’s what will probably be my last update in regards to her. Let me explain my evening as a whole:

I get off work, grab a bite to eat and plan on going to a friend’s farewell party. I drive all the way over there and get this overwhelming urge to go to the bookstore, grab a coffee and write. Being one to listen to my gut and my writer’s instinct, I change course. I gas up my truck and head to Barnes and Noble instead. On the way, I get pulled over and ticketed for speeding. (Which is always a good omen) I get to B&N finally and as I’m going inside, I see her sitting in the cafe. I order a latte and sit down, desperately trying to think of a way to talk to her. I wind up going to grab a fish magazine and when I return to my seat I run into this guy in town who sells freshwater fish. He and I chat for a good 45 minutes. After he leaves I stay in the cafe, about 2 tables from her, and I occasionally glance at her. I think she kept glancing at me too, though I can’t be sure. There were always a few people sitting between us but it did seem like she was looking in my direction an awful lot.

Anyway, after a good 30 minutes of sitting around, having a panic attack over going to talk to her, I notice she looks like she’s getting ready to leave. I stand up and gather my things and walk past her, but I force myself to stop, turn around, and say “Hi”. She looks up and stares at me. I say, “I really hope I’m not bothering you but I just wanted to come over and say hi. I’ve seen you here a few times.” I then ramble nervously for a minute about how I’m here a lot and I often see other people here multiple times, or something like that because I’m so fucking nervous I’m almost soiling my pants. She says, “Oh. Ok.” She may or may not have said “Hi” at that point because I was so petrified that I was running on auto-pilot. At this point she is standing up with her purse on her shoulder. I comment that I can see she’s leaving and I won’t keep her. I walk to get out of her way and smiles and says “Alright, well, I’ll see you around.” I think that’s what she said. Her voice was fast and kind of squeaky. She was obviously nervous too. Though for the same reason I was or for the fact that some scary looking fish geek is babbling incoherently in front of her, I cannot say. I cringe as I walk past her and manage to smile and say “Have a good evening.” She said “You too.” to my back as I practically ran away.

Now, I must admit, it probably wasn’t as bad as I make it seem, but I was still very nervous. This marks the first time ever in my life I’ve gone up to a total stranger and struck up any form of dialogue with them without any outside reason. (e.g., at work, or at a business) She didn’t seem too uncomfortable that I was speaking to her and she did smile at least once. Furthermore she didn’t just bolt for the door after I walked away. I browsed around the store a bit in an effort to stop shaking (unfortunately, I’m not kidding) and I noticed she was browsing around the exit.

I don’t know that I could have hoped to do much better the first time, but now I’m slightly confused about what I should do if I ever see her there again, which is a near-inevitable possibility. Should I go up and say “Hello again.”? Should I wait and see if she notices me? Should I abandon her as a lost cause? And should I go up and talk to any more strangers, what should I do differently? Follow-up advice appreciated.

First of all, kudos to you, Jimmy Quasar for getting up the nerve to talk to her. I can relate to your nervousness.

Second:

If you see her again, wait & see how she reacts to you. If she is interested in you but just the shy type, you’ve already broken the ice for her. If she isn’t interested in you, you don’t want to make her uncomfortable by trying to strike up another conversation. The ball’s in her court.

Don’t let this dissuade you from ever speaking to another woman that you don’t know (but would like to meet). Just understand that single women (and I am one, so I’m speaking from experience here) have to be a little bit on-guard when out in public alone. This of course, isn’t meant to offend you, just a little insight here.

I think you handled things well and I don’t think you need to handle things differently.

Best Wishes.