Top Lesbian Love Songs

I’m burning a CD for a girlfriend and need help.

Here’s what I have so far …
Come To My Window - Melissa Etheridge
Damn, I Wish I Were Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins
The Power of Two - Indigo Girls
What are your top favorite lesbian love songs?

What about Ani DiFranco? k.d. lang? tori amos?

“I Kissed a Girl” by Jill Sobule.

My favorite was always “The Dangerous Dyke” by The Cars, but here is what other people think. Well…I thought it was “The Dangerous Dyke” for a long, long time.

Top 10 Lesbian Love Songs

I prefer Ani’s “She Says” to “If it Isn’t Her”, myself.

Kinnie Star’s “Praise” is a fabulous song. It makes me want to dance and drink and have crazy girl-lips-on-girl-hips sex and all sorts of things.

Dang, aren’t we smart. We had 4 of the top 10 already posted. I just found that same list on about.com.

I need enough to fill up a cd, so keep ‘em comin’.

<runs off to find out who the heck is Melissa Ferrick>

the Magnetic Fields - “Acoustic Guitar”

Tatu - “All the things she said”

“She’s Got a Girlfriend Now” - Save Ferris (funny - good for comic relief)

"So Shall It Be " by k.d. lang and “Barefoot”, if you can find it.

“Elsewhere” Sarah McLachlan

Lots of stuff by the Murmurs is fun

I like o-l-d Melissa: “Chromeplated Heart” “You Used to Love to Dance” “No Souvenirs”. She also does a really cute cover of “Maggy May”.

Not explicitly lesbian, but my girlfriend sure thought “Truth & Bone” by Heather Nova was hot when I sent it to her.

The song that’s playing during the Susan Sarandon/Catherine Deneuve sex scene in “The Hunger” is Lakme by Delibes. Instrumental, but very pretty.
(Boy, I’m really dating myself here ;-).

You could cheat and get a pre-made CD.

Janis Ian’s Ride Me Like a Wave from her 1993 “Breaking Silence” CD.

From Hometownboy, who sometimes wonders why so many of his favorite singers are lesbians (all of whom he liked before he knew that about them).

Lesbian Seagull from Beavis and Butthead do America

If you don’t mind a bit of humor, try the punk rock trilogy Liza, Louise, and finally Liza and Louise, all by NOFX

Erm, I probably should’ve added, some of those lyrics are a bit…explicit. Click at your own risk.

Tori doesn’t belong in that group. She writes tons of songs about men - nothing about lesbians that I can think of (she’s straight). She has her share of gay fans, but my experience is that they’re mostly guys.

I Spent My Last $10.00 On Birth Control and Beer - Two Nice Girls

I think the closest Tori song that would fit is Raspberry Swirl:

And I don’t know that I’d put that on a lovey-dovey mix cd.

I definitely second Melissa Ferrick’s Drive and I also recommend the following tracks from “Better than Chocolate”, which is probably the best lesbian flick I’ve ever seen.

Pure (You’re Touching Me) by West End Girls

Perfect Fingers by Tami Greer (Although Google tells me that Ani actually wrote the song)

Sexy by West End Girls

I wish I was a Lesbian by Louden Wainright the 3rd?
check out K.D. Langs Ingenue album, it has some of the most amazing love songs you have ever heard and ranks in my all time top 10 cd’s ever.
and I am a straight male if that matters.

Though it was featured, non-sexually, in Toy Story 2, the lyrics to When She Loved Me can also be taken as a lesbian love song, especially given that it was sung quite touchingly by Sarah McLachlan in the film.

How about “Mommas Got a Girlfriend Now” by Ben Harper?

Holly Near:

“Rock Me in your Arms” and “You Bet”, both from Imagine My Surprise

Carole Etzler:

“Next to You”, from Womanriver Flowing On

How about Patti Smith’s Gloria?
There’s a lot more going on in it than a lesbian love song, though.