Top Lesbian Love Songs

This isn’t a dyke song per se, but when I was in love with my sweetie I was obsessed with “Something to Talk About” by Bonnie Raitt because of the idea of people noticing but not noticing what was going on.

Well, I Like Girls (Uncle Bonsai) is sung from the point of view of a guy who gets hit on by another guy and has to tell him he’s straight. If you could get a woman to do a cover of that, it might work.

Also, if you need to cut through all the sentiment in the other songs, there’s Pillow Queen, by Cub.

One that I"ve written.

]You’d think that people would have had enough of lesbian love songs.
I look around me and I see it isn’t so (oh no).
Some people want to fill the world with lesbian love songs.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Sarah McLachlan is married to her drummer, Ashwin Sood (they have a daughter).

I do remember, in the previous decade, seeing her in concert. While telling the story behind the song Plenty (about a man who broke her heart), she said “I love men and women”. She didn’t elaborate on this statement, but it may (or may not) have been a confirmation of bisexuality.

k.d. lang recorded one on an album that is a tribute to Cole Porter by various pop artists. I think the album is Red, Hot and Blue. The song is “So in Love.”
You don’t have to be lesbian, gay, or a grownup to love that one.

“Woman” - Rachael Yamagata

“Under Water” or “Living Room” - Tegan & Sara

Hmm. This lists Jane Siberry’s “Temple,” which actually is a misinterpretation. The lyric, “I want into the temple,” is not actually what it may sound like. It’s not a woman euphemising to another woman. It’s an unborn soul eager to be born, reincarnated, into a new body.

Just sayin.

This might be considered cheating, but Concrete Blonde do a great cover of Jimi Hendrix’s Little Wing without changing the gender. Beautiful song, and Johnette’s voice is amazing.

When I’m sad, she comes to me
With a thousand smiles you know she sets me free

Damn. Someone got to “Birth Control & Beer” before me.

An obscure one from kd, but I do love “Sexuality” from her All You Can Eat (ha, geddit?) album.

Biggirl, LOL. :smiley: You’ve just invented a new subgenre, lesbian novelty songs.

Actually, Holly Near was the first name that came to mind when I saw the thread title. I’m showing my age. Really, have none of the youngsters these days heard of her? She ruled dykefolk in the '70s. It seemed like she was everywhere in the late '70s, but that was when I hung out in the queer part of town. She was the first openly dyke performer that I know of since the early blues era, but in those days that meant she never broke out of the niche. Maybe when she went straight, her name was chiseled off the temple walls like Hatshepsut.

P.S. Anybody remember “Dominique-nique-nique…”: a lesbian love song to a guy?

This is a truly beautiful song in Spanish, sung by Ana Torroja of the group Mecano.

Listen to “Mujer contra Mujer” here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/samples/B000006EZ3/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/103-0311901-1082213?_encoding=UTF8#disc_1

The new musical version of “The Color Purple” has Shug singing a very nice love song to Celie- “Too Beautiful For Words”. The musical Falsettos has a song called “Unlikely Lovers”, which is something of a love song for a gay male couple and a lesbian couple. Otherwise, besides the already mentioned “Take Me Or Leave Me” from RENT, I can’t really think of any lesbian love songs.

need something from Disappear Fear / Sonia in there. Maybe “Fallin”, “My Baby”, “Gangsters of Love”, “Laws of Nature”, “Laura”, “Michaelangelo”, “Boxers”, etc.

“Fire Door” by Ani DiFranco seems to hint at cunnilingus.

I opened the fire door to four lips
none of which were mine
kissing

Where’s the romance in a song about mainlining heroin?

Phranc’s version of “Mrs Brown, you have a lovely daughter” is a must have.

Poi Dog Pondering’s song"Sandra at the Beach" is amazing and lifts my heart everytime I hear it.

I don’t expect “Redondo Beach” by Patti Smith would be included on anyone’s compilations of lesbian love songs—it’s a real downer. But it could be counted as a lesbian love song, sort of. If one allows for Patti Smith not being lesbian.

“Lucky” by Melissa Etheridge is just as much an upper of a LLS as “Redondo Beach” is a downer. I’m used to the dark side, but I do enjoy something happy once in a while. “Lucky” is the happiest LLS I can think of. But her really lovely love songs like “Shriner’s Park” or “Meet Me in the Dark,” that have the strongest lesbian flavor, are sad songs.

Yep. You really have to hear this one.

Thank you, thank you, one and all. There were entirely too many choices and I wasn’t expecting that. Here was the final cut:

Kiss That Counted by Catie Curtis
Power of Two by Indigo Girls
Ride Me Like A Wave by Janis Ian
Shameless by Ani DiFranco
Magnolia Street by Catie Curtis
Perfect by Doria Roberts
Drive by Melissa Ferrick
Extraordinary Thing by kd lang
Could I Be Your Girl by Jann Arden
Wonderdrug by Jann Arden
I Kissed A Girl by Jill Sobule
Constant Craving by kd lang
I Want To Come Over by Melissa Etheridge
Kiss Me by Melissa Etheridge
Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover by Sophie B. Hawkins
Sweet Woman by Cris Williamson
I’ll Always Love You by Taylor Dayne

I wasn’t sure of Taylor Dayne’s sexual preference but she performed at a Pride rally several years ago and was also on of the tracks on the Lesbian Favorites CD. If she’s not gay, she’s at least gay-friendly and what’s not to love about that song.

The bonus is that thanks to you, I now have another list of artists to check out! You guys rock!