Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

Persistence seems to be his one and only virtue.

He also seems good at wasting the Canadian authorities time and money.

Fig Norton has been banned for assorted but persistent jerkish behavior.

But don’t worry - he’ll be back.

I’m sure he’s already got an account.

Look for “new” posters who signed up last October/ November.

That was quite a list of warnings he racked up.

My reaction to this news:

He was quite the asshole in that vaccine passport thread.

I must say, this CarnalK iteration outlasted his previous socks by quite a large margin. I thought he just might make it this time, but then he goes and gets banned for behavior, not for being a sock. He seems to need us for some reason, so I agree that he’ll be back in no time.

This explains a lot.

“He was quite the asshole” is just fine on it’s own.

To CarnalK, SDMB accounts are a disposable commodity, like paper towels. Use it until it wears out, then toss it without a second thought and pull another one off the roll.

Man, who could’ve seen that coming?

My observation has been that Figgy’s schtick was to be a pretty aggressive jerk to people, then when called on it to pull back and apologize and insist that he never meant to come off that way, and go out of his way to be obsequious and careful with his wording. Until he started the cycle all over again. People accused him of trolling (I even think I did in this thread, I’m too lazy to check) because this pushing the envelope seemed intentional, as if he was trying to see how much he could get away with while playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Lately he seemed to have dropped the second half of his act which was a sign to me that he was getting bored of his game and was ready to flame out. Which is why I’m not at all surprised that this happened when it did.

In the Opening schools thread, he appears as at least four different posters, CarnalK, RealityCheck71, Crunched_Frog, and FigNorton. Since there are gaps between some of those posters in that thread, I would bet that there are even more baby Carnies out there that I don’t know about.

You missed at least two others - transcriber and Dagobian. I reported all of them, including FigNorton back in December.

Not sure why his FigNorton incarnation got so much rope. Almost his very first post got a mod note. Not too many new posters get a mod note in their first encounters and keep going.

FigNorton managed to derail all of my quarantine threads and do all the exact things that CarnalK did including backing DSeid as did all his other incarnations.

He’s getting more aggressive in each successive incarnation. And why not? He’s proven that nothing happens to him, regardless how obvious he is and how many times he shows up here.

CarnalK, how about giving me and my threads a break in your next incarnation. I’d appreciate it.

I wasn’t aware of these two. I see that the Dagobian account isn’t banned—maybe he’ll revive that one next.

I glanced over Dagobian’s posting history and immediately noticed one of CarnalK’s tells: typing LOL as “Lol.”

If CarnalK’s alter-egos are so obvious to y’all, how come the mod staff can’t see the same thing? I’m not disputing you, I’m just trying to figure out how somebody infamous can keep playing the same 'ol tune on a fresh violin without instant sanction.

I have no recollection of CarnalK as such. I think he was disappeared before I spent much time in the controversial forums where he hung out. So I have no standard of comparison on how much any of these other userIDs are really similar enough to be suspicious as socks.

ISTM each good poster is good in his own way. But pretty much all assholes/jerks are 99% alike. Which makes proving that the same human is behind the keyboard is hard.

The bar for one of us to state that a new poster is a sock is pretty damn low. There’s no consequences if we end up wrong. The bar is and should be much higher for mods, so I’m glad they don’t rush to judgment in the way I’m only too happy to do.

There are certain tells and certain topics of conversation that basically give it away. With FigNorton, it took me about 3 days to be at the 95% certainty mark, mostly based around a single post. After that, any additional tells are just gravy.

The Mods need actual proof like matching IP Addresses. It’s easy enough to mask that. It’s not as easy to change behavior.