TronnaDope, anyone?

[QUOTE=Sunspace]
Ah yes. the southwest. Flat and corny. :slight_smile:

We look forward to seeing you too! Cerowyn was suggesting that we [del]hang aropund suspiciously[/del] sit on the patio outside so we can recognise each other. I’ll have something SDMBish, like a sign that says “Cecil”.
[/QUOTE]
Well, if it doesn’t warm up, sitting on the patio won’t be pleasant. And, if it does warm up, the patio will probably be pretty crowded at that time of the evening.

[QUOTE=Cerowyn]
Well, if it doesn’t warm up, sitting on the patio won’t be pleasant. And, if it does warm up, the patio will probably be pretty crowded at that time of the evening.
[/QUOTE]

Well, we’d brought t-shirts, tank tops and convertible cargo pants, but no jackets. Once we arrived at Union Station, Rob picked up a jacket. Just now, I got a jacket at the Mountain Equipment Co-op on King St. We’ll be toasty no matter where we eat!
We have a map and see that the pub and the HHOF are walking distance from our hostel here, which is quite charming so far.
Who all is going? How many do we have?

[QUOTE=Tripler]
Yes, Nawth Tripler nee Chucka [sub]I’ll get a slap for that later, I figure. . .[/sub] were on the corner of King and Peter, and we had to figure out which way was North. I pull off my trusty Fossil watch, and began aligning it to the sun. This did two things:

  1. It began giving me a reference point to North/South and
  2. it sent up the NERD signal, and a friendly Torontan came up and saved me innumerable minutes and just pointed towards North.

I like this town already.
[/QUOTE]
Finding North is easy. It’s… that way. :slight_smile:

Sending up the NERD signal, on the other hand, is a work of art.

{It’s “Torontonian”, by the way.)

Actually, for purposes of street navigation and such, north is defined as the direction away from the Lake Ontario. In each township, the early British colonists drew a line roughly parallel to the lakeshore, roughly east-west, and declared it to be the east-west reference: the “baseline”. North, by definition, is the direction you are looking when you are at ninety degrees to the baseline and facing away from the lake. All streets are named and numbered with reference to this grid.

This holds true even at the western end of the lake, in Mississauga and points west, where the baseline follows the lakeshore at a forty-five-dgree angle and is more accurately described as a northeast-southwest line. The baseline is still logical east-west. This leads to some wedge-shaped situations between Toronto and Mississauga, but that doesn’t affect the navigation. Much.

At the end of the lake, though, where Hamilton is located on the south shore, and curves around to meet Burlington on the north… that gets confusing.

As for who is going to be there? I’m not sure. Myself and Cerowyn, for sure. Kythereia, too, I think.

[QUOTE=Sunspace]
As for who is going to be there? I’m not sure. Myself and Cerowyn, for sure. Kythereia, too, I think.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I can vouch for at least two more:

Tripler
and Nawth Chucka. :smiley: