Trump has fired Comey.

Interesting timing.

According to the New York Times Comey himself found about his own firing when he saw a news story on a television that happened to be running in the background while he was talking to some FBI employees. :eek:

On the one hand:

Good riddance. He had been doing a terrible job since last summer and the whole “Clinton e-mails” investigation; and then the October Surprise thing was just beyond the pale…

On the other hand:

Holy shit! Does anyone really believe Trump fired Comey for treating Hillary Clinton unfairly? Give us a fucking break! And there are reports–from today–of subpoenas being issued in the Flynn-Russia investigation. Something is rotten in the state of the Trump Administration (but then again, we already knew that, didn’t we?).

Something is also rotten in the state of Republican Congress, which seems unenthusiastic about delving into this for realz. After Monicagate, we (bleeding heard leftist libruls) all thought the idea on an uncheckable special prosecutor was an abomination – and now, surprise! surprise! We all think that’s just what we need again! This Congress isn’t going to do it.

I predict, unless some major smoking bombshell blows up, that this will all just blow over and nothing will eventually come of it.

Yep. Just like everything else.

What an opportunity! Now Joe Arpaio can be the new FBI Director!!

So if Obama would have fired him it would have been a wonderful exercise of executive discernment, but because Trump did it, it is bad?

Remind me of how Obama was being investigated by the FBI.

If Trump had condemned Comey’s actions last October, or if Comey had been fired before he started investing Trump’s Russian connections, maybe it would have been less laughable than Trump’s current attempt to pretend that the Russian investigation (which, by the way, Comey said three times that Trump was not a target of the investigation, so he’s totally cleared,) has nothing to do with firing the man running the Russian investigation.

Also, on Twitter, Kellyanne Conway says that she can name lots people around Donald who aren’t being investigated by the FBI for Russian Colusion. What more can poor Donald do?

Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto

On CNN, @KellyannePolls says she can name many people around Trump who are not currently under investigation for colluding with Russia

I disagree. He is a weasley little guy who wants to win both sides of the debate. Did Hillary break the law? Then prosecute. If not, then dismiss it. Did Trump collude with the Russians (and break whatever in the hell that law is)? Then prosecute. If not, shut up.

This “he may have/she may have” is not what we expect from the FBI. We want hard answers not vague statements.

Heh. Just saw this tweet from Edward Snowden.

Shit, I’m agreeing with Bricker and Snowden at the same time?

Hell hath truly frozen over.

As for Comey, as a devout liberal…I don’t know what to make of him. He’d made his bones nationally by standing up to Bush on warrantless wiretaps, and had a widespread reputation as a non-partisan straight shooter. Then, last July and October, he did two blazingly clumsy sets of statements. Even taking him at his word, it demonstrates a lack of political canniness that he just can’t have. You don’t get to his position without a certain level of political skill.
I’ve joked before, wondering whether anyone had checked on the status of his wife and children. Now I’m starting to wonder if some pressure is being applied to him - not seriously, but this is all so weird. Heck, it’d even explain why the scolding he gave in July, and the overblown reveal in October, were so very clumsy.
Like I say, I’m not serious about this - just wild speculation.

Note it doesn’t say the FBI director, the CIA director, the Attorney General or anyone else. The President.

The investigations are ongoing. The FBI just today (before Comey’s firing) sent out grand jury subpoenas. Trump just fired the guy who was running the FBI’s investigation, but tried to blame it on the whole email situation. In firing Comey, Trump is trying to skip straight to the ‘shut up’ phase. Hopefully, it’s going to unleash a torrent of people talking.

I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up about Republicans doing the right thing, but … this is not business as usual.

Actually, the news broke about the subpoenas today - they were apparently sent out"in recent weeks".
Also apparently, Sessions was asked roughly a week ago to find a reason to fire Comey.

Crap. Now I can’t find my source for the bolded part. Consider it withdrawn, at least until I find it again. :smack:

Ah, here it is.

And on The Hill, as well.

Well, duh!

Lets see… there are the cooks and the gardeners. And that guy who runs the White House bowling alley.

Yeah, that’s roughly what I heard. Bill Kristol, of all people, noted that the date on the letter from DOJ by Rod Rosenstein is today’s date (well, yesterday’s date, now.) The exact same date that’s on the letter of termination. And that guy who wrote it has only been on the job for two weeks, so it’s not like there’s been some careful analysis by the DOJ that Trump was just following their recommendation.

So clearly, the Trump clan’s sudden claims to be appalled at Comey’s handling of the Clinton letter are just yet another lie.

NYT has a good article at the mo about how this is all just lying by Donald.

Donald Trump Is Lying Again, Now About James Comey